Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,357 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move my family from Flint, Mi to Tulsa. Wondering what i would expect, as far as differences in lifestyle. We have 3 kids ages 9, 4, 2. Everyone says it doesnt get much worse than Flint, but how much better is Tulsa? How is the economy, and job market? I am an artist, and a commercial truck driver. What kind of people live in Tulsa, what is the culture like? Im worried if i move to Tulsa, i will greatly miss all the things that make Michigan so amazing. I love hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, the crazy Michigan winters, and the awesome Flint rock scene (The Machine Shop).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,471,117 times
Obviously, the culture will be different. Once you get to the southend of Missouri and north Oklahoma/Arkansas the culture becomes overtly Southern, especially in comparison to the decidedly Midwestern culture/feel of Michigan.

I would think Tulsa has the better overall art scene (in comparison to OK City) so that might work out well for you.

>>>>>
Im worried if i move to Tulsa, i will greatly miss all the things that make Michigan so amazing.
<<<<<

Suggestion: Definitely visit. Especially with children & family in the mix. Oklahoma is very different than Michigan on a host of categories. Oklahoma shares the most commonality with North/West Texas and much of Arkansas. If you've been to these areas then that gives you somewhat of an idea what Oklahoma/Tulsa will be like. I think the people in Oklahoma are second to none, but I'm biased, of course. The folks that I have met from Michigan have, for the most part, been very nice/genuine folks.

If you love Michigan then clearly you should stay there....perhaps live in another Michigan town that is not named Flint.

Blessings on your move/decision.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 16,479 times
I've had friends move to Tulsa from Michigan, I must say they are some of the most genuinely nice people I have met. Yet Tulsa people in general are nice, they open doors for women, use manners, etc... Its when you get the rednecks who do not care what anyone thinks that gives a some a bad reputation. No matter where you go you will see good and bad. As far as the kids lifestyle are tons of activities for them. Lots of great schools. As far as the outdoor activities there is Turkey Mountain for climbing, lots parks and trails, and riverside. South Oklahoma has some serious Mountains, river, and camping. The closer you get towards Arkansas. As far as a rock scene, there is one, tons of indie bands performing at glass house every weekend Hard rock to metal.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassfawn90 View Post
I have an opportunity to move my family from Flint, Mi to Tulsa. Wondering what i would expect, as far as differences in lifestyle. We have 3 kids ages 9, 4, 2. Everyone says it doesnt get much worse than Flint, but how much better is Tulsa? How is the economy, and job market? I am an artist, and a commercial truck driver. What kind of people live in Tulsa, what is the culture like? Im worried if i move to Tulsa, i will greatly miss all the things that make Michigan so amazing. I love hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, the crazy Michigan winters, and the awesome Flint rock scene (The Machine Shop).
I would forget about Tulsa having anything crazy to offer for winter and prepare for the crazy high heat and humidity of the summer.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,240,854 times
If you move to Tulsa you will laugh your butt off when you see how we react to just one inch of snow. Most of the city shuts down.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times
I know people from Michigan who moved to Broken Arrow. I've never heard them say anything about the life they left behind. It may have been the greatest place on earth, but they don't make an issue of it. They also seem to like the milder weather. It is so nice to meet new people who don't moan and groan about the fabulous place they left and they have to endure where they now are.

I lived in Oklahoma City back when Flint took an economic dive. Cars with Michigan plates became commonplace on city streets as people searched for jobs. I once had occasion to spend a week in a caravan on a hill by the Firth of Forth in Scotland, with a former Flint resident. She said it happened after she and her husband retired, but their children suffered greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa