Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywife View Post
My husband has been in OK since Monday working to restore the electric for you all.....I can personally say that I know they all are working from before sun up to well after sun down to get as many back on as fast as possible. My husband was in a slight accident on Tuesday. When I got the call, my heart just broke...couldn't be there to help him through it. Although, our girls and myself terribly miss him....we all would rather him be there to give whatever he can to help yall out. Talking to him last night, he told me that there have been many people to bring drinks and cookies, etc. to them. They truly appreciate it!! It really reminds them of the good they are doing. If nothing else, please allow this ice storm to remind all of us the true importance of this holiday season...Give all you can to help those who need you...and Thank each of them every chance you get. For every one man there working, there are several at their home waiting for the phone to ring let us know they are OK.

Peace be with Oklahoma...God Bless us all.
kywife, you get EXTRA special *hugs* and prayers from us!! I have been married to a Public Works guy for over 20 years now and I know what it's like. Mine is out right now on a water main break and he won't be back till the wee hours of the morning, only to start again at 7am for his 'regular' shift.

Your hubby is one of the "Invisible Angels" that keeps us all warm and comfy!!

Thank-You!!! And when he gets home, give him a HUGE Oklahoma *HUG* from us!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times
Default Ice Storm in Tulsa

Yes, I am in Kentucky. It is so sad that people will target and take advantage of situations when they should step up. I am so sorry to hear that happened to that crew, Jammie. When something like that happens, all I can do is believe that for some odd reason those people were just reminding us once again how lucky we all are....that we have the ablity to choose to do the right thing and we can see how to step in and be the support for others in need at that time. All of us, at one time or another will need or depend on the willingness of others to make it through. I miss my husband, and my girls miss their paw...but the lessons I have learned and my girls have learned through this awful situation are true blessings. I wish that we could do more to help. We try to do what we can, just like anyone else. My husband has been in cable for 7 years and just switched to electric....on call and outages are just a part of daily life...you just never know what to expect. I am proud of him. I am the luckiest woman!!
Peace be with you all!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Security at a motel saw someone around an out of town truck and called police last night. They pulled a Jeep over a couple of blocks away and found stolen tools and spools of copper. Too bad they don't have a punishment to fit the crime....like a freezer cell where they have no water (just ice), no heat, and nothing but frozen food to eat.

I know it's a business thing with AEP and OG&E to keep the lines up and the power on, but for the guys on the lines it is more a moral obligation. I've worked with a lot of men and women like that and I've seen the times where the real joy on their faces is when the power comes on and you can see the street lights and house lights flicker on and you can hear them say under their breath "all right!" Beats the hell out of just another paycheck.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,457 times
just wanted to say thanks for your thoughts and concern, my dad's power came back on yesterday at 6pm.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 141,128 times
yes my power came back on at 6 pm on Sun. Thanks to all those out of town workers helping us restore Tulsa's power.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM

25 posts, read 90,939 times
The really sad part about the ice storm was that when it first hit, I had never seen such a beautiful sight. By day 2, there was more crackling & snapping noises than on the 4th of july. I keep asking myself how could something so beautiful, be so distructive. A definate negative, but out of the 9 days we had no electric, cable or phone though, being trapped, literally pinned in & on our street, there was a positive that came out of this, people came togather & helped one another, the way it should be. New friendships & bonds have been made. Costly & messy, but the aftermath was bringing people togather. And still today people are still helping with the clean up, helping people they have never met. What a Blessing. My Grandma always said that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Let the New Year bring forth new friendships & new life. I can't wait to begin to plant new trees & share with my neighbors & new friends.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
What a wonderful viewpoint you have on life! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
I bet that spring won't come soon enough for Tulsa. Hope everybody recovers.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,851 times
where in oklahoma has the storm hit the hardest?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 AM

58 posts, read 146,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie.tucker260 View Post
where in oklahoma has the storm hit the hardest?
Not in Tulsa, this time. There were some isolated problems, but nothing remotely like 2007. I believe it was worse in NW Oklahoma, in and around the panhandle. They typically get the most severe winter weather of the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa