Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,204,030 times

Advertisements

Howest, having spent time in NYC, I'm pretty sure that the people of NYC have no thoughts about Tulsa. I met a few who had no idea what Tulsa was and confused us with the red dirt of OKC.

I don't want Tulsa to be NYC or LA. God forbid, actually. However, I do want Tulsa to grow in population, safety and have decent schools. That doesn't mean it has to be NYC, LA or Austin. If a city is not growing, it is dying and you only have to look at the upper Midwest and upstate NY to see how harmful that can be to a state and society. I think we are doing a good job so far, not great, but good. Tulsa is growing its population in spite of being landlocked and continuing to attract businesses like Macy's and grow businesses organically like McNellys and Seggi's.

I ROTFL at Austin being world class. If Austin is world class, NYC and LA must be in the stratosphere. Austin is nice, has a great music scene but the people from these other major cities think it is a "cheap place to live with friends" - Forbes, best places for Millenials. Nobody from Texas thinks Austin is cheap. That doesn't make it a world class city. It just makes it a park for pretty rich people to play Bohemian Artist or drunk redneck. The difference now is that now the pretty rich people want to work from there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,498,325 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Howest, having spent time in NYC, I'm pretty sure that the people of NYC have no thoughts about Tulsa. I met a few who had no idea what Tulsa was and confused us with the red dirt of OKC.

I don't want Tulsa to be NYC or LA. God forbid, actually. However, I do want Tulsa to grow in population, safety and have decent schools. That doesn't mean it has to be NYC, LA or Austin. If a city is not growing, it is dying and you only have to look at the upper Midwest and upstate NY to see how harmful that can be to a state and society. I think we are doing a good job so far, not great, but good. Tulsa is growing its population in spite of being landlocked and continuing to attract businesses like Macy's and grow businesses organically like McNellys and Seggi's.

I ROTFL at Austin being world class. If Austin is world class, NYC and LA must be in the stratosphere. Austin is nice, has a great music scene but the people from these other major cities think it is a "cheap place to live with friends" - Forbes, best places for Millenials. Nobody from Texas thinks Austin is cheap. That doesn't make it a world class city. It just makes it a park for pretty rich people to play Bohemian Artist or drunk redneck. The difference now is that now the pretty rich people want to work from there too.
flyingcat2k isn't is funny how "great mind think alike" well we think alike even if your mind is
great
and I still haven't figured out what my ( mind is ) Big Sheep Eating Grin...LOL.

I'm going to respond to the highlighted BOLD above.

Please talk to the folks in NYC and LA.......California and tell them ( to stop cracking jokes
on me about coming from Tulsa OK will you please (?)

Tulsa OK isn't one of America deadliest cities

B. Booker T. Washington of Tulsa OK is in the Top 100 School U.S.A.

C. Tulsa OK is growing In Baby Steps
just like I want it to COL won't go through
the Roof know what I mean.

D. Tulsa could increase it's Population 10X in it's 188 square miles of territory...

E. Tulsa just got COSTCO and now I'm waiting on REI to come to town next.

There'sWorld Class ALPHA'S Cities and BETA'S and GAMMA'S WORLD CLASS CITIES Austin
is a Gamma and NYC LA San Francisco Paris and London Tokyo and Hong Kong are all ALPHA"S

World Cities Rankings....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/

Last edited by Howest2008; 05-30-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,384,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
Austin wasn't always a world class city but it did eventually with the huge influx of transplants. Any city has the potential. Although, I prefer not to tell the whole world while they should move to Tulsa.

<snipped>
Austin TX is not and never has been a world class city.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 PM

181 posts, read 304,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Austin TX is not and never has been a world class city.
The term "world class city" was first used by Howest2008. I think I knew what he/she was trying to say. I presume that the term was used to describe Austin as an international city and IT IS. Outside of NY, LA, Chicago, and Houston, tourists want to see Austin. I can not tell you how many times tourists referred to those cities in that order. Austin is definitely the rising and upcoming international city. So, calling it a world class city can be a synonymous term if one chooses to use it.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,202,584 times
Quote:
The term "world class city" was first used by Howest2008. I think I knew what he/she was trying to say. I presume that the term was used to describe Austin as an international city and IT IS. Outside of NY, LA, Chicago, and Houston, tourists want to see Austin. I can not tell you how many times tourists referred to those cities in that order. Austin is definitely the rising and upcoming international city. So, calling it a world class city can be a synonymous term if one chooses to use it.
What?

San Francisco, Washington, Atlanta, Boston and Miami are all bigger international draws than any city in Texas. Dallas and Houston, despite their size, are only lower world class Beta+ Cities.

Austin is not a world class city, much less one of the top five draws for tourists in the whole country. Austin in the Global City ratings is rated as a "High Sufficiency City" which is just one level above Tulsa's rating of Sufficiency City.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post

People of NYC and LA didn't think of Austin ten years ago but that has changed. Most people that move to Austin are from California and then New York. It can happen with Tulsa too. Do you know why no one knows anything or have any thoughts about Tulsa? Perhaps, most natives are keeping their mouth shut, in which they should if they don't want to be overrun by transplants.

Tulsa is growing in population slowly. From the most recent statistics, it's growing at about 1.6% in the last 3 years (compared to Austin's 12%).

REGARDING AUSTIN

Austin has F1 (Racing), XGames (Skateboarding), SouthxSouthwest, ACL, and BIG events going on every 2-3 weeks. Austin is an international hub, which means that you don't need fly to another domestic city before flying abroad. Austin has the most full-size grocery chains for a city with a population under a million (4 Whole Foods Markets, 2 Sprouts, 2 Natural Grocers, 2 Central Markets, 2 Trader Joe's, 4 Randalls, 2 Fresh Plus, 2 Wheatsvilles, 10 HEBs, 2 Fiestas). Surely, I could keep going on but I think I proved my point already.

Austin is an international city indeed.

Last edited by kallenfranchise; 05-30-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
What?

San Francisco, Washington, Atlanta, Boston and Miami are all bigger international draws than any city in Texas. Dallas and Houston, despite their size, are only lower world class Beta+ Cities.

Austin is not a world class city, much less one of the top five draws for tourists in the whole country. Austin in the Global City ratings is rated as a "High Sufficiency City" which is just one level above Tulsa's rating of Sufficiency City.
I agree regarding the cities that you mentioned. Although, I'm referring to the cities that are HOT now and those are the cities that I named.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
People of NYC and LA didn't think of Austin ten years ago but that has changed. Most people that move to Austin are from California and then New York. It can happen with Tulsa too. Do you know why no one knows anything or have any thoughts about Tulsa? Perhaps, most natives are keeping their mouth shut, in which they should if they don't want to be overrun by transplants.

Tulsa is growing in population slowly. From the most recent statistics, it's growing at about 1.6% in the last 3 years (compared to Austin's 12%).

REGARDING AUSTIN

Austin has F1 (Racing), XGames (Skateboarding), SouthxSouthwest, ACL, and BIG events going on every 2-3 weeks. Austin is an international hub, which means that you don't need fly to another domestic city before flying abroad. Austin has the most full-size grocery chains for a city with a population under a million (4 Whole Foods Markets, 2 Sprouts, 2 Natural Grocers, 2 Central Markets, 2 Trader Joe's, 4 Randalls, 2 Fresh Plus, 2 Wheatsvilles, 10 HEBs, 2 Fiestas). Surely, I could keep going on but I think I proved my point already.

Austin is an international city indeed.
That's not true, they were thinking about Austin.......10 years ago

And Austin was just as liberal as it is today....LOL

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
swake;35026923]What?

Austin is not a world class city, much less one of the top five draws for tourists in the whole country. []Austin in the Global City ratings is rated as a "High Sufficiency City" which is just one level above Tulsa's rating of Sufficiency City.
And why wasn't OKC also rated Sufficientcy on there rating system as Tulsa was, now that's why I only take GaWC with a grain of salt

Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,204,030 times
Actually, based on PBS viewership back in the days before cable, NYC has known about Austin for some time through the Austin City Limits series on PBS. It is highly respected and considered an honor to be on the program. It started in 1975 so I would say that the name of the city, at least, has been banted about for some time. Being a state Capitol helps too.

Tulsa, outside of the energy industry, seems to be a total mystery to people. I loved what the director of the BOK Center had to say about big out of state architectural firms that bid on its new Sky lounge. "The ideas weren't as bold as they had hoped, and some portrayed a stereotypical view of Tulsa and Oklahoma." To me, this means some firms wanted to put up a garbage faux-sawdust joint looking thing with cowboy/Indian motif. The lounge is really nice and I'm glad that SMG had the good sense to not use those ideas.

BOK Center revamps menu, adds lounge to make arena main destination - Tulsa World: Features
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa