Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM

42 posts, read 62,285 times

Advertisements

Yeah, okie1962, I hadn't given thought to being trapped in there for a day or two, suppose it's very possible. I think I'll have to put together a "storm kit" to take with me into the shelter...flashlight, radio, extra batteries, saltines, water, candy bars, air horn etc. Probably wouldn't be the worst idea to have a cheap sleeping bag along as well. All the small stuff in a backpack, sleeping bag and water close at hand for a quick dash outside.
The critter situation has had me stumped...I had envisioned the steel door as not being an especially tight fit, in fact, rather loose to allow oxygen to penetrate. Considering a series of 1/2" holes over the face of it to allow O2 and daylight in. Just dawned on me tho that I'll have to buy a sheet of treated plywood, half of which would be used to plug up the end with the dirt over it. I could use the other half to cut a snug fitting plug for the open end, with a couple of cheap handles screwed to it, a couple of inches inside the steel door. Just remove it and toss it aside and climb inside. That should keep out all but the tiniest creatures and a can of spider/wasp spray in the storm kit should do the trick on anything small enough to get past that. Probably be wise to open it all up a couple three times a summer to check things out and dry out any condensation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 AM

42 posts, read 62,285 times
Well folks, I may just have to change my mind on the location of my move to Ok. The only decent house on the market in Pawnee, which I've had my eye on, has been sold. Seems the only things for sale there now are either run down too much, overlook the local trailer park, were built in the 20's or 30's or are way too big and expensive. The place I had my eye on was 1100 sf, large double lot, $42,900, relatively newer having been built in the 70's, lotsa updates inside...carpets, vinyl and ceramic flooring, central air and heat...pretty nice really. Had been on the market for 2 years as a foreclosure...they dropped the price to $36,800 and it was snatched up in less than a week. Oh well...
So....started looking at a little town 1 hour due north of Tulsa called Nowata...similar to Pawnee in size but, seemingly, a little more modern and less run-down. Downtown's not as picturesque but cool nevertheless, golf course, river and lake for fishing...Will Rogers birthplace a few miles away, Bartlesville 20 or 25 minutes due west for larger stores when needed. Have found 4 homes for sale there that meet my wants and needs. I am getting pre-qualified, presently, for a mortgage so that I can jump on a home quickly if needed. Found out my credit score was MUCH higher than I anticipated...was worried because ex had run up some bills in my name that were just taken care of a year or so ago...759 and in the excellent category so I should be good to go. Have had the same accountant here in town for 25 years or so...he's agreed to handle sale of property etc in case I have to leave sooner than expected...for a very reasonable fee I might add...pays to hold on to friends and business associates.
Well, from discussions of storm shelters to home buying and different towns...never boring here...LOL
Anybody been in or through Nowata? Would love to hear your impressions of the area.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Why not have a look at the town of Eufaula? It is in a pretty and hilly area, is right on a pretty lake with generally blue water and sandy beaches, and the place has a fun, recreational vibe on the weekends in summer. It is a fairly busting little town, more interesting in my opinion than Nowata.

It's a place where "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." haha

Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Why not have a look at the town of Eufaula? It is in a pretty and hilly area, is right on a pretty lake with generally blue water and sandy beaches, and the place has a fun, recreational vibe on the weekends in summer. It is a fairly busting little town, more interesting in my opinion than Nowata.

It's a place where "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." haha
Ain't no way that water is generally blue. It's almost as red as Dirty Bird. I was at Eufaula just a few weeks ago. Everything else you're spot on.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Bassy, the lake has been pretty clear this year, unless you're on the Deep Fork arm. I see it almost every day. Until my accident I was walking around Belle Starr State Park every day.

Last edited by okie1962; 09-14-2014 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: I was drunk.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Lake Eufaula is a great place to live. It's the largest lake in Oklahoma and still has a lot of inexpensive land around it. It's about an hour and a half to Tulsa and about two hours to OKC. I-40 and US 69 Pass over the Lake. The two main towns are Eufaula and Checotah. Eufaula is more charming than Checotah but Checotah is a lot more charming than Nowata. Both towns are about the same size, 4,000 or so folks. Eufaula sits right on the lake. Why live in Nowata when you can live in Lotawatah Village on lake Eufaula! LOL yes, there is really a place down on the lake called Lotawatah. LOL they are NDN names, neither one has anything to do with water. Lotawatah is on the Deep Fork arm and it's almost always muddy. If you have any other question just ask me, I was born and raised down there and still spend most if my time down there.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
What is NDN?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Native American American Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
What is NDN?

NDN - What does NDN stand for?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Howest, you are full of...............................information. lololol

Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 PM

641 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Yeah Bassy, you are off on this one, the lower end from Crowder through Eufaula and up by Porum is rocky/sandy and is usually blue. The upper river arms can look like chocolate milk. It is 3 or 4 lakes in one due to its size and long river arms.

Incidentally, I saw a full grown mountain lion down below Eufaula dam early this summer. It was in the Younger Bend area crossing a dirt road beneath that large mountain north of the river. He hopped across the road in about 2 lunges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa