Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 PM

111 posts, read 331,643 times

Advertisements

As this Arena takes its final shape and form, I'm reminded more and more of the Opera House in Sydney, Australia: a structure so iconic and stunning that it isn't merely an extension of the local architecture, but one that stands alone and becomes its own drawing card (see pic below):

Compare our Arena-to-be with anything else in the country. Their designs don't even come close. In fact, they're not even in the same league. It's even hard to imagine that this IS an arena, a venue for basketball games, etc. It looks so out-of-this-world, worthy of a really snazzy performing arts center or museum. If this Arena is as functional as it is classy, it's going to be a real knockout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New In Prue View Post
As this Arena takes its final shape and form, I'm reminded more and more of the Opera House in Sydney, Australia: a structure so iconic and stunning that it isn't merely an extension of the local architecture, but one that stands alone and becomes its own drawing card (see pic below):

Compare our Arena-to-be with anything else in the country. Their designs don't even come close. In fact, they're not even in the same league. It's even hard to imagine that this IS an arena, a venue for basketball games, etc. It looks so out-of-this-world, worthy of a really snazzy performing arts center or museum. If this Arena is as functional as it is classy, it's going to be a real knockout.
That gives me an idea for a photo if I can get in the right spot to do it....the best place right now to see the arena with the Tulsa skyline as a backdrop is from the west leg of the IDL; problem with that is the west leg of the IDL...it would feature prominently in the foreground. I might have to get my friend the pilot to take me up in the Cessna sometime next week and see if I can get a picture worthy of that.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New In Prue View Post
No worry! It didn't look a whole lot different today!!

Actually, it does look a little different. More panels have gone up for sure. That's rather apparent.

Now I'm just looking forward to May 8th. How many models do they have in the office?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 PM

In the office, they have one model. What will catch your eye, though, are the three or four very large color aerial photos matted and hanging on the wall in a series, of the construction as it has progressed. Done with a large-format camera I'm sure. They've scooped you on the Cessna.

I don't know of any way to get the skyline in the picture, unless you get the "back" of the arena. Unfortunately, the "front door" shots with future logo, etc. will be toward the west or north. The best shot would be directly south about 100 yards. All photographers, sign my petition to move the federal building. haha..

Last edited by New In Prue; 04-24-2008 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: choice of wording

Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Very interesting opinion New. I agree that it is somewhat similar to the Opera House in Sydney, but IMO even more stunning, although not as drastic. This thing WILL be an iconic structure for sure. I can hardly wait for it to open and I am looking at it for real and attending an event. Good points New and BigOkie. Please keep posting pictures. I love the Cessna idea.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Hey, BigOkie, try the parking lot of the fire station just NW of the interchange to the Sand Springs expressway.
Only thing is, lots of overhead lines between you and the Arena.

...which reminds me: I want to talk to someone about asking the owner (DTU?) of the parking lot to the east of the Arena to put their lines underground. To the thousands of photographer/tourists who will be taking pics of the Arena over the next few years, those leaning, sagging power lines and lightpoles are an eyesore.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM

266 posts, read 971,929 times
I want a high rise hotel next to it.. That would be nice to have a couple new buildings in that area to compliment the arena.. Maybe some condos even..

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,455 times
I got some questions from this thread answered:
1. No, there is no protective film on the glass. The glass now as they will be when it's finished.
2. The purple window we saw in the photos was defective, it was missing the UV coating. They went ahead and mounted it because if they left it on the ground it would get smashed.
3. The vertical gap in the glass icon wall is because they hurried all the windows to get the arena, before they had finished the structure for the rest of it. It's just gonna take a bit to finish it out.

And yes, in the office they have the model of the Arena but I think they said it cost around $60,000 to build so you really don't buy more than one. There is also a mockup of the luxury suite you can sit in and try the seats and see all of the pricey materials you ge for the price.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks, sgrizzle. I kind of figured that the color of the glass was as-is. They're busy on the structural details at the end of the wall now, and looks like they'll finish it up in a couple of days, ready for the glass on the end. And they have the glass ready for the end, or at least some of it (notice the angled glass):

I'm waiting anxiously for them to finish the base of the wall. Can't wait to see if they use the "shingle" pattern out of the same steel they used on the skin exterior. I notice they used the black insul board in the heated area, and just a steel underlay on out to the end of the wall. Didn't need insulation there, presumably..they look like the same thickness as the insulation board. That all should go together pretty quick...

By the way, the building in the picture (upper right), across the parking lot, is the building where everyone meets on May 8, for the big tour.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I want a high rise hotel next to it.. That would be nice to have a couple new buildings in that area to compliment the arena.. Maybe some condos even..
That may become a reality once the City workers move into the glass house. There was talk of of a hotel being put in that spot.

I wouldn't want one right next door though...the building is iconic enough to stand on it's own merits.

I agree with others. The old Page Belcher Building needs to be razed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa