Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,853,820 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI. Tulsa's Bank of Oklahoma arena is being built. Below is a link to the webcam where you can view the construction. A very interesting design, the wrap around feature is something that is indeed unique. Caesar Pelli (sp?) is the desginer, the same guy who designed the petronis towers and other notable buildings.

http://vision2025.info/camera.php?camera=arenacamera

Below is what the arena is supposed to look like when finished.

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-30-2006 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,378,109 times
Thanks for posting this. I saw pics of it on a Tulsa Forum. I just can't get over how small those trees look in comparison to the building. It's going to be fabulous.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:39 PM

480 posts, read 2,826,107 times
Oklahoma has a bank? How soon before they get bought out by CitiGroup?

Last edited by Check123; 11-04-2006 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM

94 posts, read 611,664 times
My father works in Internet Security for BOK. It's really Bank Of ____________ (wherever you are). There's a Bank of Albuquerque, stuff like that, all affiliated. NOT, however, affiliated with Bank of America (AKA Satan's DevilBank).

wow, looks like I moved out of Oklahoma too soon. First the Ford Center, now this. Figures. I be there are no good concerts in New Mexico.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:51 AM

480 posts, read 2,826,107 times
I suspect that they will eventually end up under Bank of America, either directly, or via various smaller mergers first.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner-On-The-Move View Post
My father works in Internet Security for BOK. It's really Bank Of ____________ (wherever you are). There's a Bank of Albuquerque, stuff like that, all affiliated. NOT, however, affiliated with Bank of America (AKA Satan's DevilBank).

wow, looks like I moved out of Oklahoma too soon. First the Ford Center, now this. Figures. I be there are no good concerts in New Mexico.
Tulsa, like Oklahoma City, is in the midst of an urban revitalization. The vision2025 project (www.vision2025.info) is the instrument for this change. Sooneronthemove, you're living in Gallup nowadays? It can sure get cold there! What took you to Gallup, specifically? Is it an up and coming city? I'll bet the desert vistas are pretty.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 AM

94 posts, read 611,664 times
My husband took a job as an area supervisor for Domino's Pizza, supervising stores in Gallup, Grants, Shiprock, Cortez (Colorado), and Winslow (Arizona--it's not as exciting as the song implies). Gallup is the most central city in that group, so that is where we live.

As far as up and coming, I can't really say that it is. In some ways, it's nice, in some ways depressing, and in all ways, it's an utter culture shock.

The views are interesting, but stark. Between here and Winslow, there's a lot of interest to see on I-40. Lifesize papier mache dinosaurs, petrified forests, Navajo arts and crafts (75% of the world's Native American art is traded in Gallup). And the mountains in the Four Corners area (where New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah meet) are pretty darned spectacular.

Gallup, however, has the highest incidence of drunk driving and alcohol-related deaths in the world. Driving up highway 491 (formerly 666), into the Navajo reservation, there are always several people stumbling along the road, drunk, or swerving in their 1978 Nissan pickup trucks.

Also (and I know, I know, I complain about this everywhere), there is NO decent white gravy to be found here. No matter where I get it, from KFC to Denny's to Church's, it always has a "chipotle" flavor, smoky and, well, just not right for white gravy.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 PM

710 posts, read 2,957,121 times
Way to go Tulsa..................WOW, that arena is stunning!!!! Downtown Albuquerque will have a new arena soon, and hopefully it will be as beautiful as Tulsa's.

Sooner-on-the-move - I'm sure Gallup was quite the shock, I know if I moved from here in Albuquerque I wouldn't be able to make it. If you visit ABQ frequently or Santa Fe, let me know, I can give you great recommendations on things to do and see.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:21 AM

Below is a link to a slideshow of the arena and pre-planning meetings (at least that's what I presume they are). I suspect one of those is Caesar Pelli himself. Just click on each image to advance to the next. It's pretty exciting to imagine what this will be like when finished.

http://www.vision2025.info/includes/galleries/11/gallery.swf (broken link)

Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 AM

368 posts, read 1,326,003 times
That arena looks very nice,I only wish Albuquerque would follow what Tulsa and Oklahoma City do for their downtowns.Tulsa and OK City both have big city skylines compared to Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa