Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times

Advertisements

Cool. My kids are Native (I'm not), they dance and do lots of traditional activities. I have a niece at IAI right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 PM

65 posts, read 168,965 times
I still have friends from IAIA. We still talk on Facebook.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom View Post
Hi. I'm trying to figure out where I will be moving once my daughter has graduated from college. I thought I was going to move to Tacoma but recently ruled that out. I have health issues and I need a warmer climate but that's not too hot or too cold. I would like to drag my adult daughter with me but there's no guarantee. I like living in smaller cities. I am currently in a larger city, Louisville, KY and I don't really like it. You have to drive 18 miles to get to the stores. Who would like that?

I'm also an artist who had some success in Fort Wayne, IN but I really haven't been able to get into the arts scene here in Louisville. With the weather, I swell and have severe arthritis in cold weather and being a little older-(40)-I can't move back to snow and shovel any snow. If there's a small amount of snow, that's fine. Louisville has very little snow but I don't want to live here permanently.

I'm trying to decide between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Diversity is very important to me. I am mixed race and my daughter looks/is mostly white. We have lived in places where we stood out like a sore thumb and I'm tired of that. Ugh, mixed people exist! My daughter is probably going into the medical field but she still doesn't know. But, I am searching for something that is right for me and hopefully for her. I know someone that lives in Norman, OK but I don't want to live right where they are. I want to find what's right for myself.

This isn't right away. I have time to decide. I just would like to have some place in mind. A goal. So, which would be a better fit for me? Tulsa or Oklahoma City?
Take two weeks off and head out for a Oklahoma Vacation with one week to see the sights of OKC and
the second week to see the sights of Tulsa OK.

While in Tulsa connect with other NDN's at this location Home - American Indian Resource Center - ResearchGuides at Tulsa City-County Library

Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
I thinnk it depends what you want and are looking for.

In a nutshell, OKC is in a more flat, plains-like region. Tulsa is far more hilly and lush.

OKC is over 600 square miles and very spread out in a way I personally do not like. Tulsa is about 1/4 or 1/5 the size of OKC I believe.

If you are into sports and modern country music, OKC wins hands down. If you prefer arts and pretty parks and so on, Tulsa by a mile.

To me the main differences (and I have lived extensively in both) between the two cities is that OKC is like a patchwork quilt. You'll hit some nice residential neighborhood or little business district and think "this is pretty cool!" but then the next block you enter some ghetto wasteland of ugly industrial blah or boarded up streets. You can wander into a high crime area very quickly and easily without intending to.

In Tulsa, things are a little more clear cut. You KNOW where you don't want to be after dark. North of Admiral (the street that divides S. Tulsa from N. Tulsa) can be sketchy. The far Eastern part is not very appealing in some ways. The airport is out that way and there are lots of transient people, hotels, it's just not the prettiest area.

The area South of the Brookside District has gotten pretty bad (though Brookside itself is still cool.)

But really, anywhere else in a huge swath of the center of town is fine. Safe. Nice residential neighborhoods, etc...

I've lived and traveled all over and consider OKC about the ugliest city I have ever spent time in (aside from a few small areas.) I think of Tulsa as, overall, being relatively pretty, and the prettiness is sustained through far larger sections of town than you'll find in most of OKC. In my experience.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 PM

65 posts, read 168,965 times
Griffs, thanks! I'm thinking Tulsa looks really, really good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa