Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,906 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I will be moving to the area this summer while he attends Oklahoma State in Stillwater. I have been applying to a lot of jobs in the Tulsa area and we began looking for rental homes somewhere in between without a lot of luck. He is willing to be a little further from Stillwater since his schedule will be different than mine. Are there any websites, real estate agents, property management companies, etc... that have listings in between the two cities? We are ideally looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms with a fenced yard for our dog. So far the closest place I've been able to find a few listings in is Silver Springs.

Also any advice for moving to the state would be a plus. We're re-locating from the Philadelphia area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Not sure where Silver Springs is. You can probably find a rental in Sand Springs. There may be some in Cleveland.

sounds like you folks are pretty young, so you might check the Mannford area. Probably the most knowledgeable realtor in that area is going to be Cathy Mills at Award Realty in Mannford. To find a rental in a town like Oilton, Yale, Jennings, Hallett, or Drumright you might check with Sharon one of the managers at the grocery store in Oilton.

I can't think of any one renting houses right now, though. A lot of the houses are rented to oil patch people and with oil so low, there may be some coming up. Only way to really locate a rental house in this area is to ask around. I mentioned Sharon, and Cathy, and you may check with LaTina at the store in Terlton. Cathy is the only one in the business in that area.

You might check the bus schedules from OSU Tulsa to Stillwater and see if your husbands classes can be handled with you living in Tulsa. If you are working there, there are a lot more activities than you will find in places like Jennings or Yale.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,906 times
Thank you so much for the information! We are looking to be in quieter, family friendly neighborhoods (we are in our upper 20's and early 30's). We are visiting in a few weeks so I guess we'll just have to venture into some towns and check it out.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
OSU has a campus in downtown Tulsa that shares a class schedule with Stillwater. You can enroll at OSU and take classes in both cities if you want. OSU also has BOB (Big Orange Bus) that runs daily between the campuses for classes that may not be offered in Tulsa. It may well be possible to just live in the Tulsa area and for certain classes bus or commute once or twice a week to Stillwater. Stillwater is about a 45 minute drive one way.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheld7 View Post
Hello! My husband and I will be moving to the area this summer while he attends Oklahoma State in Stillwater. I have been applying to a lot of jobs in the Tulsa area and we began looking for rental homes somewhere in between without a lot of luck. He is willing to be a little further from Stillwater since his schedule will be different than mine. Are there any websites, real estate agents, property management companies, etc... that have listings in between the two cities? We are ideally looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms with a fenced yard for our dog. So far the closest place I've been able to find a few listings in is Silver Springs.

Also any advice for moving to the state would be a plus. We're re-locating from the Philadelphia area. Thanks in advance!
Why not look for a job in Stillwater? It's one of the fastest growing non-metro towns in the state. The unemployment rate there is only around 3%. With so many students gone for the summer, it should be easy to find a house. It's been a long while, but when I needed to find a job in Stillwater, it didn't take me long to find one.

If you think there is just no possible way to find a decent job in Stillwater, then look at what Mannford has for a place to live, since it's exactly half way between Tulsa and Stillwater. Taking the bus to OSU from Tulsa sounds like it might be a good deal as someone else mentioned.

Tulsa is an hour's drive to Stillwater, not 45 min. If you want to take your chances with the cops and drive 80 to 90 miles per hour, you could make it in 45 min.

Really, if busing to Stillwater from Tulsa looks feasible, then I think all it boils down to do is to decide to live in Tulsa or live in Stillwater. Forget about other towns mentioned. They're too tiny.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-07-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
I would be very very careful about moving halfway between Stillwater and Tulsa. There is this town called Terlton and most of us know to stay clear of that place! Seems there is a strange couple that live there that have run most of the town folks away. They are so onry most folks just packed up and left. The town used to have about 3,000 now they have just a few hundred. They get their kicks by climbing on top of their barn, getting drunk and naked and then shooting at the school bus as it speeds by! I have seen rattlesnakes trying to escape from their place! Just thought I would give you a heads up...

Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
I know that there was a pretty good fishing spot near Terlton, House creek. Lots of sandbass and crappie at times. The place is a bit rustic however.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I would be very very careful about moving halfway between Stillwater and Tulsa. There is this town called Terlton and most of us know to stay clear of that place! Seems there is a strange couple that live there that have run most of the town folks away. They are so onry most folks just packed up and left. The town used to have about 3,000 now they have just a few hundred. They get their kicks by climbing on top of their barn, getting drunk and naked and then shooting at the school bus as it speeds by! I have seen rattlesnakes trying to escape from their place! Just thought I would give you a heads up...
LOL. I heard one them was arrested for Assault with a Dead Weapon!

To the OP, we are just teasing our resident cutie pie, er, I mean curmudgeon.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Actually, we have gotten the population down to under 100. And it is still good cat fishing in House Creek. Good one Okie! !

Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
I would be very very careful about moving halfway between Stillwater and Tulsa. There is this town called Terlton and most of us know to stay clear of that place! Seems there is a strange couple that live there that have run most of the town folks away. They are so onry most folks just packed up and left. The town used to have about 3,000 now they have just a few hundred.
More like 80 people
Quote:
They get their kicks by climbing on top of their barn, getting drunk and naked
ROFL, you keep thinking it will make them easy........ROFLMFAO I hear they started off easy, getting drunk and naked is just the icing on the cake.
Quote:
and then shooting at the school bus as it speeds by!
Only return fire, no one in town ever starts it
Quote:
I have seen rattlesnakes trying to escape from their place!
I like the rattlers fried.......cottonmouths smell like they just arived from Checotah or Holdenville.
Quote:
Just thought I would give you a heads up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa