U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:50 AM

500 posts, read 2,780,510 times

Advertisements

Well, opinions are personal and if you all think Tulsa is sophisticated, there's nothing I can do. But I'll offer my opinion: I went to Tulsa to visit my parents-in-law and found the place to be everything but sophisticated. Their dead downtown had mostly nothing to offer. Their local "Urban Tulsa" newspaper was calling for a Christian war against Muslims. Because I dress in black, have a foreign accent and live in New York, people there looked at me funny, to say the least.

Tulsa's idea of sophistication seems to be a good ol' barbeque and a stereo blasting Tulsa's favorite son, Garth Brooks. Not that the city doesn't have ethnic restaurants, two (just two) good museums and some liberal hippies and gays. But they're a minority among conservative Bible-worshippers with no sense of fashion or modernity.

The epitome of fine dining seems to be in Tulsa, and as in most of America, a visit to the local Olive Garden or Applebee's. I'm only exaggerating a bit.

And I don't know what big cities you're thinking about to say that they have just the same as Tulsa, but no, I could not access in Tulsa what I have available in New York or other capitals. A $50-haircut, sure. Those cowboy chicks have big hairs to take care of.

That's what I saw down in Tulsa. I must have missed the sophistication you mention.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM

11,885 posts, read 35,232,938 times
Mannhattan-ite, your post is pure bull. I'll respond sometime when I have time to refute your "facts."

Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Synposis, my post is as "bull" as any other personal opinion on Tulsa given here, positive or negative.

I did not give any "facts". I gave my impressions of the city, which is different.

One fact, just one: whoever says Tulsa has got the same things to do as any other big city is not telling the truth. You come to Manhattan and tell me this is just as cosmopolitan and exciting as Tulsa.

I hope you find the "time" to refute me. I'm eager to read you.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM

24 posts, read 140,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Synposis, my post is as "bull" as any other personal opinion on Tulsa given here, positive or negative.

I did not give any "facts". I gave my impressions of the city, which is different.

One fact, just one: whoever says Tulsa has got the same things to do as any other big city is not telling the truth. You come to Manhattan and tell me this is just as cosmopolitan and exciting as Tulsa.

I hope you find the "time" to refute me. I'm eager to read you.
Well not everyone wants to live in Manhattan. I certainly wouldn't-- for all the cosmopolitanness and excitement of New York City-- there seem to be plenty of trade offs. Sure there are probably a larger quantity of high quality restaurants, museums, bars, and living spaces in New York City than in Tulsa. But people in Tulsa dont have to spend 2000/month just for a studio apartment, work 60+ hours a week on average, crowd onto the Metro (at least thats what we called it in Paris when I lived there), and live in an exhausting, highly competitive kind of environment. Its a Type A kind of city. Some people love it but those arent the people that are going to be living in Tulsa. I dont like to stay out and party to 3 in the morning like they do in Paris or New York City at some bar on the weekend. Of course you could do that in Tulsa too.

Manhattan you are definitely incorrect about the restaurant part. There are nice restaurants in every city and it depends on the area. I wouldn't go to Harlem or Paterson New Jersey (yankee redneck territory) to have fine dining. I would take recommendations from someone who knows the city and probably stick to more trendy areas like Columbus Circle or the Village. What about Pf Changs and Olive Garden at the Westbury Mall on Long Island-- theres that kind of **** everywhere.

No Tulsa is not as sophisticated or cosmopolitan as New York City but no one said it had to be. You should appreciate places for what they are-- there is a reason they are the way they are.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Default subjective visions of tulsa

Zenguy21, I totally agree with your post. In fact, we have Olive Garden and Applebee's in Manhattan! And the rents are outrageous. But Harlem does have some good dining.

However, my previous posts were not in the "come-live-to-Manhattan-we're the-best" line of thought. I know and understand NYC is not for everyone, and I respect that.

I was simply disputing what a member called Pisces1975 said:

"Tulsa is a beautiful and sophisticated mid-sized city"

and then: "It's where you'll find the good coffeehouses, bars, Thai restaurants and places where you can get a $50 haircut -- just like in any other big city."

I do not agree with those two statements. First, because I don't find Tulsa to be particularly "beautiful" (just unremarkable, not plain bad) and certainly not "sophisticated". Second, because no matter how Pisces puts it, Tulsa does not have things "like in any other big city". It doesn't. But it's natural!

Coffehouses, thai restaurants, theaters and museums- you can find them in tiny college towns too. But that doesn't make them sophisticated or comparable to a big city.

As you well say, nobody said Tulsa ought to be as cosmopolitan as Manhattan (or LA for that matter). Because Pisces implied it, I responded, and that was it.

I also agree I should enjoy places for what they are. I love the rural Midwest, the empty Western desert. But Oklahoma ain't my place, I'm sorry. Now, I've got lots of family living in Tulsa and around and they're all very happy! They would never live in New York City.

Cheers to y'all.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 47,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Because I dress in black, have a foreign accent and live in New York, people there looked at me funny, to say the least.

Tulsa's idea of sophistication seems to be a good ol' barbeque and a stereo blasting

conservative Bible-worshippers with no sense of fashion or modernity.

If your intent was to be insulting, you succeeded. But the truth is I feel sorry for people like you who are so dang insecure that they can't enjoy anything without the "trappings" their social peers tell them they must have.

Do you have to spend a fortune on your clothes and food to show others how important you are or to feel worthy yourself? Most of us around here just aren't impressed that way.

Yes, and if you dress different, talk different and act different people are going to look at you, and be interested. Whats wrong with that?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Default good grief! where does this now come from?

Mamajo, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't spend a fortune in my clothes, when did I say that? I go to Old Navy for cheap, simple black pants and sweaters. Did I say anything about food? What are you talking about?

I say that Tulsa is not cosmopolitan. Because if it truly were, you would have a guy dressed in black with an accent and not pay attention, as it happens in big, cosmopolitan cities. When you look at people that are different from you and your peers (not mine, here in New York I'm totally anonymous and we don't have bbq parties) with that "you ain't from around 'ere, are ya boy" attitude, it means that you are not cosmopolitan.

Nowhere in America there are more "social trappings" than in the backyards of suburbia with their insecure moms trying to look like other moms and acting like they're all friends when they hate each other.

I wasn't attacking anybody personally as you do. Who's the insecure here?

Now, I beg your pardon but I'm back to my New York forum. I wasn't talking to you.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 AM

11 posts, read 60,502 times
Sallybell....short answer: NO, you won't survive... Manhattan-ite is right. Sorry, but Synopsis and MamaJo are wrong. Tulsa is EXTREMELY dull. I was born and grew up in Tulsa and never went back after going out of state to college. I moved to Los Angeles and never looked back. Nearly all of my high school friends did the same....for good reason. Tulsa simply has no class or sophistication...unless you're from Enid or Lawton, or some other little Oklahoma town, or if you're impressed by an "Oktoberfest" that looks just like "Cinco de Mayo". I go back to Tulsa once a year at Christmas and every year my conviction that Tulsa has nothing going for it is solidified. Sure, Tulsa is clean and relatively crime free...but then, so is the middle of the desert (and its probably more exciting). Tulsa may be a good place to raise a kid....until he's 12, and then he'll also be bored to tears.

If you've lived in or around any of the major cities in the US, you'll find Tulsa is woefully lacking in entertainment of all kinds.....theatre, museums, sports, etc. Sure, you can go to the Performing Arts Center in downtown Tulsa, but you won't see anyone but high-school quality performers (occasionally someone shows up....most likely needed to fill a blank spot in their tour).

To say Tulsa is not religious is simply to lie....its MECCA for born again christians who have nothing better to do than spout off about 'Jesus this' and 'Jesus that'...when all you did was ask for directions to Shakey's Pizza.

I joke, but in all honesty, do yourself a big favor and look elsewhere. You'll be bored *hitless after 2 months....MamaJo and Synopsis may disagree, but ask yourself..why is housing in Tulsa sooooo cheap....Its because no one with any sense of adventure (of any kind) wants to live there.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Default the reality of tulsa

Amen, Philco from LA! Your words- those are my feelings about Tulsa. Soulless scenario for a living.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 60,502 times
Thanks, Manhattan-ite. I just thought Sallybell should hear it from someone who had to live in Tulsa for 18 years....Just one person's opinion, as are all these posts. To find out what kind of person will feel at home in Tulsa, Sallybell should read the other Tulsa thread posted by Honeybee on 12/9/06.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa