Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

Honeybee,

I moved from CA to Oklahoma and love it here. I live in Tahlequah and will be going to visit Tulsa come Monday morning.

I think you should write to the moderator on the Tulsa forum and complain. People like that should not be abusing others.

I also wonder what people mean when they say that people are backwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 11:02 AM

99 posts, read 504,079 times
Thank you Jessaka :O) I was told he is banned again .This person they say has up to 14 names he uses :O( and alls he does is bash Tulsa OK. So he has been removed again .As I went back and read the post to me there was 2 more that were ?able and rude like the one where this person told me right off to go live in AR. because that was were all the Ca. were moving to and I would feel right at home with all the illeagels there! That was posted to me by a inteller ! I posted back and told him he was very Rude and he posted back saying Welcome to Tulsa .So I think this is the same guy he has sevral names but most of all his post are rude !Anyway i will not entertain such people .Can I ask you what part of Ca. you are from and what made you deceide to move to OK. I have been told that where you live it is beautiful .We were out there in Sep. but never seen your town :O) We were looking at Jenks , Claremore, BA, those areas .We did go through Grove on the way to Grand Lake , seen the zoo in Tulsa seen the Auquriame in Jenks ,Went to Eureaka Springs AR. and Branson MO. ) we loved it thought it was so pretty and green .

Old 12-16-2006, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Jessika, I was waiting for you to get settled and be back on here. Glad to hear you love it there. Did you get in on the record breaking snowfall that the Tulsa area had a few weeks ago?

Honeybee, I think backward just kind of means dumb and behind the times. It'd probably be someone in this day and age who doesn't know what indoor plumbing is or what a transistor radio does, much less that computers have been invented.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Talking Haa-Haa that was cute :O)

I think there are backwards people in any state you go to .I think it means interverted ,non sociable , and yes behind on the times and sort of close minded .But you will meet people like that any where even Ca. Although in Ca. it is Crazy people here are very out going and in your face .There on the cutting edge of everything they live life to the fullest and speak there minds weather you like it or not .We have been exposed to everything here so we are not shocked by much here .It is far from quite and peaceful unless you go up to the moutains and sit along the stream in a beautiful place where the people are not around .Very busy ~~~~~~~~` all the time in Ca. I live in the country in the central part of Ca. so I have it pretty nice and peaceful around my home .But Town and city is a diff. story .People drive Crazy and fast!!! everyone here is a a RUSH~~~~~ all the time .I noticed when I came to Tulsa OK. area it was way slower paced and calmer less traffic but we had to keep paying to drive on HWY.The people I did speak to there in stores and resturants were very friendly and nice .I was disturbed about something though every place I went to eat and some stores had no Toilet sit covers Now that makes me wonder how clean they are .I was later told that that places I visited are in a not so good area but it was in BA on 71 st. I encountered this .May seem crazy to some people but I am a very clean person and want to see Toilet sit covers when I use public restrooms .I think that was 1 of the only things that bothered me when I visited .I told hubby if we move there we will find all the cleanest places to dine out and stick to those

Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 16,692 times
As a long time resident in the 1980's and 90's and a transplant from back east, I have to say this about that.

I have ex in laws in Tulsa and Bartlesville. My kids live with their mother in Broken Arrow.

Yes, some Okies wear their ignorance on their sleeve like a badge of honor. They like being country and show it. Their grammar sucks but you get used to it. You might even end up speaking like them. But they are not all stupid.
Yes there is a brain drain in Oklahoma. The best and brightest seem to leave. Large companies have to bring people in. OK State University only has about a 25% graduation record. By that I mean that 75% of the alum never complete their degrees. I can't speak for OU. At University of Tulsa where I attended law school, the students were far from stupid.
Phillips Petroleum employed a lot of PHds in Bartlesville, but had to import most of them. That is ancient history now.

Would I move back to Oklahoma from Houston? In a heartbeat. At least in Tulsa you don't have to speak spanish, and in 20 years the whites won't be a minority.

My co workers said to me when I moved to Texas: Well Patton by moving you are going to lower the IQ in both states.

Moderator cut: forum does not allow signatures

Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Thank you for input

I have sevral friends who have moved to OK. one in Bartelsville .She took us to see the Philups Mansion and his Ranch I was not that empressed but it was intersting never the less .I perfer Tulsa Area myself like Jenks ,BA, Claremore ,Owasso ,Bixby ,Claremore was alittle far out but we liked it . Hubby will retire at 59 so we plan on traveling alot. OK. is one of the states that is more affordable compared to Calif.I just hope we Love it there .If not we will be moving somewhere else I am sure .

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM

184 posts, read 1,211,902 times
We hope you love it, too.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 10,251 times
I think Tulsa is a beautiful city. I moved from California to Massachusetts and now I just bought a house near Tulsa about 6 months now. I'm inviting some friends to come over this summer just to check out the Tulsa area because I'm confindent that they'll love it. I think you will enjoy staying in Tulsa. Good Luck to you and your family.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM

184 posts, read 1,211,902 times
Default It is really all in one's own attitude.

Just like if one looks for the worst in people or an area that is what they will find the bad.....but if they look for the good, they will find what they are looking for.

And I figure if people who move into a place who are more educated, less backward....that is wonderful....they have a great opportunity to educate others. Most people are willing to learn new things so we welcome new ideas, suggestions, help, etc.

P.S. I've been to many places and in every place I have seen people who are "sophisticated" while others might be considered "backward". My experience is that the ones some might consider backwards have some of the biggest hearts and will do whatever they can to help you.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,740 times
Smile Is it True that Tulsa Ok. is Poor and Backward

Hello Honeybee,

I moved to Tulsa 2 1/2 years ago. My husband and I lived in an apartment near 51st and Memorial. This is considered South Tulsa. Life begins outside of that area as for living. Any town has a history of having a poor center that moves to the suburbs, etc. I am sure you know. Tulsa has a progressive downtown with the Tulsa Ballet, art museums, quaint stores and about everything you look for in that forum. Housing downtown can be quite expensive. We built a home in the outskirts of northeast Broken Arrow, OK and we both love the area very much. We are 10 to 20 miles from about anything we would desire to find.

There are uneducated people in the area. Some were born and raised here, some moved in here from where ever, even CA and NY. The city and area colleges and hospitals are backed by many of the wealthy families who have lived in the area for generations, backed by oil and other commodities.

A person can find all types of people, good and bad. Always do a thorough research on your own. Write down what you are looking for and what you do not want. The Chamber of Commerce of most towns can provide you with a almost any information you desire. Not just someone's personal opinion of the number of drop outs from a college. The people may be going to other colleges. Check out all aspects for yourself. Respect yourself,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa