Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:11 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

There are factors to consider other than cost of living. I would not live in OK under any circumstance due to high tornado risk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
There are factors to consider other than cost of living. I would not live in OK under any circumstance due to high tornado risk..
But a tornado hasn't been through Stillwater since 1990. That's 30 years ago. That is a low risk situation, not a high one. In the nearby town of Cushing, it's hard for anybody to remember when a tornado went through it.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:23 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Yes, we get that a lot around here. Of course where you live (North Carolina) the risk of snakebite is the highest in the country.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:05 PM

Despite the well known risk of killer earthquakes in California dating clear back to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, which killed over 3000 people, fear of earthquakes didn't keep California from later growing to the most populated state in the nation. Unlike earthquakes in California, you are quite likely to get a warning in Oklahoma of a tornado coming.

Fortunately, the threat of earthquakes in Oklahoma has come down considerably. It's been about 3 years since I was startled by one

Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If you are retired what matters is what Oklahoma taxes. That is what this thread is about. They do not tax SS income. The cost of living is low. The climate overall is pretty good. Not brutally hot or bitter cold. Property taxes are low, especially compared to Texas. And the cost of housing is low which also makes property taxes lower.

Tulsa is a beautiful city. Very clean, very green. Totally different than what I expected.
Im pretty familiar with Oklahoma as a kid born and raised in Durant and four years at OSU in stillwater to get my Chem Eng degree.

Mom was born in the panhandle, lived in Durant the past 90 years. Brother on facility at OU for 25 years and now retired to Norman. Sister attended OSU and raised 5 kids living on a lake near Durant for 30 years after spending a few years in Tulsa suburbs.

I like Oklahoma and explored moving to Tulsa or Edmund from Plano Texas where I have been the last 10 years in retirement. The taxes in Oklahoma cost me more than here in Tx with a similar cost home.. I have run the numbers on what living in Oklahoma would do to my taxes and its higher given the way I live, a high prices home and a good income in retirement.

The per capita taxes without a per capita income can be misleading is all I am saying. Trying to make this more helpful for readers. Your mileage differs from mine and its all good.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:34 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I grew up in NE Oklahoma. I would be living in Oklahoma now if they had a nice retirement community like I live in here in Tennessee.
We are on a lake with 3 golf courses, marinas, restaurants, activity centers, pools etc.

Florida, Texas, South Carolina and Arkansas have similar communities that I have looked at. Oklahoma has plenty of space for such a community and if Cooper or some other group starts one I will look seriously at moving there.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:25 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
The only thing I know about Tulsa, is what I see on The First 48.....TV show. I would not move there.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:55 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
The only thing I know about Tulsa, is what I see on The First 48.....TV show. I would not move there.
Good. We have way too many people like yourself in this state already.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:26 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:

I live in Missouri. Generally, what ever bad weather Oklahoma gets, we get the next day.

Tornados can happen in any state. HAS happened at least once, in all the states.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I live in Missouri. Generally, what ever bad weather Oklahoma gets, we get the next day.

Tornados can happen in any state. HAS happened at least once, in all the states.
People who move to Oklahoma are more likely to complain about the hail storms, ice storms, and damage from high wind gusts from severe thunderstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa