Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,758 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a position with a drilling company and will be relocating to Tulsa from Houston over the next month. My wife and I have 4 young children that will be attending public school. We have looked at Sand Springs, Owasso, Catoosa,etc. and found some pluses and minuses of all of them. I really want to get out of the city (and must avoid the cookie cutter homes) but my wife wants the convenience of Walmart, grocery stores, etc. We are religious and attend church regularly.

Could someone help me identify what the best area to look in. I currently commute for 1 hour so anything under 30 minutes would be awesome. I really would like people's opinions that live in these areas not just my realtor's who is trying to sell me a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,940,885 times
I'm a Realtor, but I am not going to sell you house........or even try.....mostly I appraise.

The cookie cutter homes are mostly in the big burb subdivisions......Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Union.

Other things to think about, are what DO you like. You will find some really nice areas south of the Arkansas River and just east and west of highway 97 between Sand Springs and Sapulpa. That area NORTH of Sand Springs in Osage County, towards Skiatook Lake is very attractive. Bixby has larger more isolated tracts south of the river and lying between Mounds, Liberty and Leonard Schools. South east of town you will find really nice acreages in the Coweta area. East of Tulsa you have Inola and Catoosa school districts/towns. Northeast and north central, look at Claremore, Oolagah, and Collinsville. All have good schools, medium to large tracts of land, areas of extreme privacy, and low crime rates. All areas support equestrian events and all the schools have great FFA clubs. Skiatook, Claremore, west of Sand Springs, and Oolagah have lake tracts available.

Like I said, I am an appraiser. I do original and review appraisals in all those towns and there is not one listed in this post that I would not live in......but I like the country.....walking out naked to check the cattle or chickens is a form of freedom few on here experience.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,849,589 times
I'd take GP's advice anyday. He knows the area better than just about anyone. As for a commute, Tulsa has one of the lowest commute times for a good sized city, FAR from the horrible commute times in Houston.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,758 times
thank you for your responses. We like to be outdoors, (hunting, fishing,etc.) but I want to ensure that the children have the opportunity to participate in organized sports, little league, soccer, etc.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM

265 posts, read 901,504 times
I can tell you that organized sports is a big thing in Broken Arrow. You can check out the parks once you are here but the city puts a lot of money to make sure there are nice facilities. Plus....you should check out the Bass Pro Shops right off Highway 51 (Broken Arrow Expressway) and Elm. That is a nice area of town.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,894 times
Default Moving to Tulsa

like gp says West of Tulsa will be more to your liking, close to Skiatook and Keystone lakes, homes on 1 to 20 acres, but still 15 minutes to downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa