Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 05:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times

Advertisements

Would you have any qualms about a Floridian moving to Oklahoma?
Your fair state checks my boxes.
Liberal medical cannabis program, affordable COL and active weather to keep me from being bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Yep, that would be me, lol. And as for complaining about hot weather, you guys don't have anything over us on hot. Here's my area's 10 day forecast. I love Oklahoma, especially the eastern hilly parts around Pushmataha county.
Yuck, you ought to move to Oklahoma. It's July, and the hi temps still have a hard time getting into the 90s east of I-35.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Would you have any qualms about a Floridian moving to Oklahoma?
Your fair state checks my boxes.
Liberal medical cannabis program, affordable COL and active weather to keep me from being bored.
No, not at all. You need to get away from all those dang bugs. I will never forgive Florida back when I was driving through most of that state down to Ft. Lauderdale and had to stop several times to scrape off bugs that had built up too thick on the windshield. The bugs are bad in Oklahoma, but not that crazy bad. Admittedly, though, the mosquitoes are bad after a week long rainy spell, but hopefully they won't last too much longer, especially if the rest of July and August doesn't turn too rainy. Also the humidity won't be as swelteringly miserable from day to day during the summer.

If it's a normal winter, it won't be too bad. However, February of 2021 was beyond belief, though. Never had I put up with such intensely cold weather lasting so long day after day. And never have I had a problem with any frozen water faucets before. But no disaster happened, since no pipes broke.

As for marijuana, I can walk by two medical marijuana dispensaries while walking to my favorite restaurant, Mexico Joe's. It's still hard to get over how the state legislature decided not to call a special session to gut the medical marijuana program people voted yes to. Instead, the legislature decided to let the state health department implement the medical marijuana program as instructed under SQ788, what the people voted YES by 57% for.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-07-2021 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 10:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yuck, you ought to move to Oklahoma. It's July, and the hi temps still have a hard time getting into the 90s east of I-35.
Oh Townie, I'd love to move to Oklahoma, but I'm too old now to make a big move like that (I'm 74). I'd have no support system, although I don't have much of one now, just a couple of friends the same age as me. Medical might be difficult also. My husband died 6 years ago and taking care of 15 acres is getting to be a real chore now, so a move of some sort will be needed eventually. I do have a niece in Grand Saline, Texas who wants me to come live with her, so that's an option.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:19 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Quote:
No, not at all. You need to get away from all those dang bugs. I will never forgive Florida back when I was driving through most of that state down to Ft. Lauderdale and had to stop several times to scrape off bugs that had built up too thick on the windshield. The bugs are bad in Oklahoma, but not that crazy bad. Admittedly, though, the mosquitoes are bad after a week long rainy spell, but hopefully they won't last too much longer, especially if the rest of July and August doesn't turn too rainy. Also the humidity won't be as swelteringly miserable from day to day during the summer.

If it's a normal winter, it won't be too bad. However, February of 2021 was beyond belief, though. Never had I put up with such intensely cold weather lasting so long day after day. And never have I had a problem with any frozen water faucets before. But no disaster happened, since no pipes broke.

As for marijuana, I can walk by two medical marijuana dispensaries while walking to my favorite restaurant, Mexico Joe's. It's still hard to get over how the state legislature decided not to call a special session to gut the medical marijuana program people voted yes to. Instead, the legislature decided to let the state health department implement the medical marijuana program as instructed under SQ788, what the people voted YES by 57% for.
Those would be love bugs and
they visit us twice a year (spring and fall) and are a nuisance for car owners although car wash businesses love when they come back.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by lluvia; 07-08-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 04:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
No possible way, but Dutch Bros. Coffee is coming to Stillwater. California people say Stillwater is in for a treat, but it's just a coffee shop.
I have a Dutch Brother Coffee 30 Miles Up D Road......

Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 24,765 times
Most Californians looking to move to OK are conservatives. You may not see many Ca license plates because we know to change them immediately. As far as a relocation tax, the Ca government beat you to it. Many have received tax bills and some have even had their bank accounts frozen or money withdrawn from the CA gov't to pay some mysterious outstanding bill. Also, there were many an Okie that relocated to Ca during the dust bowl, depression and CA booms. So think of it as a returning home. My grandparents and their family were from TX and McCurtain county area of Ok before they moved to CA.

As far as Dutch Bros., I'm part of the Dutch Mafia so I'm bias. They don't franchise and to be a regional operator you have to have worked with the company for so long. They do good on fundraising for local issues too.

Be more concerned about OK giving incentives for Hollywood to have a film industry there. You don't want those type of people sticking around. But OKies need to have the right skills and education to fill the tech jobs, otherwise they'll have to bring in those that do, probably from liberal areas.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:35 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxifornia Tosh View Post

Be more concerned about OK giving incentives for Hollywood to have a film industry there.
That's been a "thing" around here for about 40 years. They just passed a new incentive and the governor signed it in May to entice the movie industry to film here.

Since there are so many other places doing it we don't get a lot of action out of it but through the years we have had a few big time pictures that got filmed here...and of course a bunch of flops too.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:17 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Killers of the Flower Moon (major movie) is being filmed in Pawhuska/Fairfax/Tulsa now
Reservation Dogs, just premiered as a FX TV show, was filmed earlier this year in Okmulgee/Tulsa
Minari was filmed in Tulsa last year and was nominated for 6 Oscars winning one.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I have a Dutch Brother Coffee 30 Miles Up D Road......
I have a Dutch Brothers Coffee a mile away, but it's still under construction:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa