Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Reputedly they also have two old cars up on blocks in their front yards.

Yes Sir that sounds like a genuine OKIE 2 ME............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 11:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Reputedly they also have two old cars up on blocks in their front yards.
That situation wouldn't be allowed for long by the code officers in Stillwater. If you let your house run down too much the city will try to make you tear it down or fix it up. Furthermore, if you let poison ivy grow in your front yard, you risk the code officer taking a picture of it and hang it on your door with a notice to get rid of it.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

Yes Sir that sounds like a genuine OKIE 2 ME............
I Was Just Kidding About The 2 Cars , but all the rich Okies buy 5-20 houses and rent
then out for income (secondary)......forget about inground pools , if they went
swimming

IT WAS AT GRAND LAKE.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That situation wouldn't be allowed for long by the code officers in Stillwater. If you let your house run down too much the city will try to make you tear it down or fix it up. Furthermore, if you let poison ivy grow in your front yard, you risk the code officer taking a picture of it and hang it on your door with a notice to get rid of it.
It's an old joke: "How do you tell a rich Okie from a poor Okie? The rich Okie has two old cars up on blocks in his front yard".

My parents were from Oklahoma and my dad told me that joke.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It's an old joke: "How do you tell a rich Okie from a poor Okie? The rich Okie has two old cars up on blocks in his front yard".

My parents were from Oklahoma and my dad told me that joke.
Well, these days, you'll have a hard time finding a car up on blocks in Stillwater for long in a front yard. You can't even just abandon your old car in the front yard off the driveaway on the grass at your home in Stillwater for very long. The expired car tag on the car will eventually give you away to the city code enforcers as my mother found out with her old car. She solved the problem by telling my brother, who is a mechanic, he could have her car by starting it up and driving it to his place. He did. My other brother solved her poison ivy problem by getting rid of it for her. The city codes may sound too oppressive and prohibitive to some people, but I believe they work to keep properties values from declining in value. Home prices are well up in Stillwater this year.

The Stillwater city code officers will send you a letter complaining your grass is too high in your front yard as well. People who feel they should have the right to let their front yards and homes be as overgrown and run down as they want shouldn't move to Stillwater. Move to the country to live that way.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:12 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, these days, you'll have a hard time finding a car up on blocks in Stillwater for long in a front yard. You can't even just abandon your old car in the front yard off the driveaway on the grass at your home in Stillwater for very long. The expired car tag on the car will eventually give you away to the city code enforcers as my mother found out with her old car. She solved the problem by telling my brother, who is a mechanic, he could have her car by starting it up and driving it to his place. He did. My other brother solved her poison ivy problem by getting rid of it for her. The city codes may sound too oppressive and prohibitive to some people, but I believe they work to keep properties values from declining in value. Home prices are well up in Stillwater this year.

The Stillwater city code officers will send you a letter complaining your grass is too high in your front yard as well. People who feel they should have the right to let their front yards and homes be as overgrown and run down as they want shouldn't move to Stillwater. Move to the country to live that way.
Stillwater has implemented Universal HOA?

Old 11-07-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Stillwater has implemented Universal HOA?
It seems like it. My mother didn't object much when the city code officers were after her about something or the other. She simply took care of it. But I don't mind it much, since I don't need neighbors to decline the value of my property by letting their houses run down. It does Stillwater a lot of good. As a result, Stillwater doesn't look like an old, run down, weathered dump of a town when you drive through it like it does in Idabel. I had no idea an Oklahoma town could look so damned bad.

It took a lot of time but the city of Stillwater finally forced a property owner to level his dilapidated old homes: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ci...3db7cc102.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: