Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,660 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from OKC and we took 1 night away from our 3 kids and went to tulsa for a couple days and one night and fell in love with the city. We are a young couple (he is 28 and i am 26) and we have 3 kids. My husband is very into music and is a drummer and i enjoy a more "artsy" way of life to put it simply and tulsa really seemed like the greatest place for us. We arent a traditional family. we enjoy music and nightlife and to be quite honest tattoos and peircing are a bit of a hobby of ours but still our kids have all the dicipline and stability of the brady bunch and we are a pretty religious family. We had breakfast at some diner (i cant remember were it was) but we were so impressed that our waiter had a saptum ring! to be quite honest that doesnt fly here in OKC. After our time there we decided come hell or high water tulsa is where we want to be. We were able to take a 1 mile walk and see 3 differnt shows and you dont find much of that here in OKC. Long boring story short I need some reccomendations of places to live up there. I prefer a nice clean safe area for the kids with good schools but close enough to the brady/blue dome area that my husband and i can work and enjoy what we know. of course we are very much on a budget but if anyone can reccomend any apartments or neighborhoods for us i would be enternally grateful.
I am just dieing to get away from OKC ASAP and i am amazed that a place an hour and a half away can be so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsocool View Post
My husband and I are from OKC and we took 1 night away from our 3 kids and went to tulsa for a couple days and one night and fell in love with the city. We are a young couple (he is 28 and i am 26) and we have 3 kids. My husband is very into music and is a drummer and i enjoy a more "artsy" way of life to put it simply and tulsa really seemed like the greatest place for us. We arent a traditional family. we enjoy music and nightlife and to be quite honest tattoos and peircing are a bit of a hobby of ours but still our kids have all the dicipline and stability of the brady bunch and we are a pretty religious family. We had breakfast at some diner (i cant remember were it was) but we were so impressed that our waiter had a saptum ring! to be quite honest that doesnt fly here in OKC. After our time there we decided come hell or high water tulsa is where we want to be. We were able to take a 1 mile walk and see 3 differnt shows and you dont find much of that here in OKC. Long boring story short I need some reccomendations of places to live up there. I prefer a nice clean safe area for the kids with good schools but close enough to the brady/blue dome area that my husband and i can work and enjoy what we know. of course we are very much on a budget but if anyone can reccomend any apartments or neighborhoods for us i would be enternally grateful.
I am just dieing to get away from OKC ASAP and i am amazed that a place an hour and a half away can be so different.
Wow, you better not let folks from the City see this, or they might start calling you a traitor!

Cherry Street or the area of 21st and Utica would be ideal for what you are looking for. The downtown lofts aren't completed yet, but are being worked on. We have one poster on here who I am betting will chime in regarding pricing and areas to live in who has their hand more on the pulse of that than I do.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,310 times
A lot of it depends on your income. I've seen buildings in and near downtown for $300,000 for 10,000sqft that could be turned into a home. However if you, like me, don't have 300grand then you will have to look at rentals.

Tribune Lofts is in the Brady District and was going to move to ownership but stayed rental and they are renting for about $1/sq ft. (Rental Rates at The Tribune Lofts)

More housing is coming to that area of town but most is in the planning stage.

If you're into biking or scooters, there are a lot of houses in the cherry street and brookside area that are more affordable and within a mile or two of where you want to be.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
Midtown Tulsa sounds like where you would want to live. Public schools here are a bit dicey, but if you can get your kids into one of the magnet programs, they would do just fine. Lee Elementary is one such school in midtown at 21st and Cincinatti.

I've also heard good things about Elliot Elementary (not a magnet school, but still has a good reputation) which is in the Brookside area where I live. The neighborhood is bounded by 31st to the north, *about* 45th St to the south (I say *about* because some of the houses in the southern areas are a bit run down. However, Cincinatti, Detroit, and Madison are very nice streets); Utica to the east, and Riverside to the west. Very diverse neighborhood - alternative/artsy types; yuppies, retirees, families. There are lots of reasonably priced rentals in this area. Oh, and Whole Foods!

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
imsocool, I had to move away from Tulsa a couple of years ago, but the group of friends I hung out with there sounds a lot like the sort of people you'd get along with: very involved in the arts, an interesting variety of tattoos and piercings, & a few even have kids. As others have mentioned, the Cherry Street (15th street) area and Brookside (Peoria) area are the hottest locations for people in your age range. Try to get a place at least a couple of blocks away from the main drive simply because these places are really popular on the weekends & parking can be a bear. Also if you end up living right next to, say, the Full Moon Diner, you might find that the live entertainment on the weekends will keep yours kids awake well after midnight.

I lived just off of Cherry Street & enjoyed it because there are lots of great little restaurants and shops there & I could easily walk down to the Farmers Market on Saturday mornings (it's at the corner of 15th & Peoria). I prefer the homes just south of 15th street & west of Lewis. Things get a bit rundown once you go north of the BA Expressway in this area, so keep that in mind. Although I prefer the area west of Lewis just for convenience sake, I have friends who live in an adorable house around 15th & Harvard that is a quick and easy walk to a great bakery. I also have a number of friends who live in the neighborhoods just south of the fairgrounds as well as the neighborhoods east of TU (Sorry I can't remember the names of these neighborhoods off the top of my head). More and more of my friends are starting to move into the condos closer to downtown, but that probably isn't the best place for you simply because there aren't as many places for kids to play.

I'm curious about where you ate. Could it have been Brookside By Day? That's one of the favorite breakfast spots in town, although there are many many others.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
You could check out sites like~

apartments.com

apartmentguide

rent.com

forrent.com

If you use those sites, you can customize your search for price, pets, bedrooms, etc. Tulsa seems to have a lot of nice apartments that are reasonably priced.

Imsocool, I found your post interesting. It's nice to know that you didn't find Tulsa to be "stuffy". I like that in a city and I don't even have tattoos. It's just nice to live in an area that is accepting of people even if they aren't exactly like you.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 PM

145 posts, read 291,586 times
This is a tough one because there are great areas in the Cherry Street area and in the Utica area. They are really for people without children though. I don't know your income but there are mainly private schools in that area. I'm not sure I would recommend Tulsa Public Schools, which would be in that area.
If you are not opposed to driving a little...you could live in the Jenks area close to Riverside Drive. The kids would be safe and get a great education going to Jenks. It would not take you long to get into the mid-town, Cherry Street or Mapleridge area. I would really do your research about Tulsa Public Schools...they don't have the best reputation....so this means moving to the "burbs." Good Luck and I hope this helps a little. I am always for best education and safety for our kids. Just do your homework!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: