Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM

69 posts, read 128,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
That is part of the solution.

We (menaing society and the school system) should also stop coddling kids for the simple reason they have a lousy home life. Schools and teachers should have the ability to discipline students and give them the backbone their parents aren't able to.

Also bring back school uniforms. Doesn't have to be an expensive uniform. Blue jeans (that fit, not hanging down their knees) or blue skirts with a white dress shirt.

Lets get some discipline and structure into those kids' lives.
I disagree about kids wearing uniforms. Clothes show personality of an individual, but I'm not saying a kid with a 'tude problem should dress like someone in a gang as there should be a solid dress code. And by dress code, I mean nothing offensive worn, no shorts allowed that are shorter than the fingers, nothing revealing, and teenagers should know how to pull up their pants (example: douchebags in the film Clueless), etc.

And when you mention teachers giving kids the backbone their parents can't, do you mean bringing back the paddle? People have changed a lot, and nowadays, if a teacher were to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid grabbed it from them and repeatedly smacked the teacher over the head with it. It may have worked back then, but it wouldn't work now. A couple of things that could work are harsher detentions, suspensions, the teachers themselves need to get a backbone. I remember having detention in middle school and the teacher that checked up on us was similar to the one in the Breakfast Club; not very forgiving or nice. Skip a few years when I was in high school having detention—only lasted 15 minutes and I still caught my bus on time. They didn't even notify my parents. The teachers and principal became too permissive.

Last edited by artsy11; 11-19-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy11 View Post
......Clothes show personality of an individual.........
they're students. don't need to show personality. don't need to be concerned with make up or brand names. they need to be focused on studies, not up skirt/down chest texts......
Quote:
.......... do you mean bringing back the paddle? ..............
a good beating might do wonders in areas such as manners, politeness, and courtesy............

Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
they're students. don't need to show personality. don't need to be concerned with make up or brand names. they need to be focused on studies.......
I don't think that wearing make up (middle school and high school kids) and brand name clothes are going to prevent kids from learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
a good beating might do wonders in areas such as manners, politeness, and courtesy............
Yeah and it might also cause arguments between the teachers and the students' parents as well. If I was a parent and I found out my kid was hit by a teacher, I'd be yelling at the teacher. Using violence as discipline isn't going to make a student listen and learn more. It just makes them even MORE angry, leading to rebellious behavior.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Quote:
I don't think that wearing make up (middle school and high school kids) and brand name clothes are going to prevent kids from learning.
There have been a number of studies that show school uniforms reduce bullying and improve test scores. Even in studies where there was no noticeable grade improvement, it halted year-on-year increases in bullying. Prior to the uniform policy, kids in TPS were reporting to be beaten up for sneakers and clothing. Now, it isn't an issue. With a step-daughter, I don't have to have an argument about capris or skinny jeans with sparkly words on her butt. I'm in favor of it.

Quote:
Yeah and it might also cause arguments between the teachers and the students' parents as well. If I was a parent and I found out my kid was hit by a teacher, I'd be yelling at the teacher. Using violence as discipline isn't going to make a student listen and learn more. It just makes them even MORE angry, leading to rebellious behavior.
As a son of a teacher and a parent, these kinds of parents are why public schools have so many issues. Their "perfect little snowflake" never does anything wrong. BARF! I back my kid's teachers 100% and they know it. Interestingly enough, our kids don't have discipline problems in school.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:

Well, it sure worked for me! You know, "spare the rod" and whatnot. (And I think to call discipline "violence" is an exaggeration too.)

But what do I know, I'm just an Ol' Dinosaur with traditional (by today's standards "backwards") views of rearing children. Heck, my Daddy would whip out that size 44 leather belt and crack me with that thing if I didn't obey the first time. It's funny how it didn't take long for me to learn....that when he told me something I better hop to it!

I feel sorry for today's youth and the cottony-candy sugary-sweet entitled perspective they have from soft parents, grandparents, and community and the absurd amount of over-coddling. It's pretty obvious that we're reaping the benefits, er....consequences, in our society.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
(And I think to call discipline "violence" is an exaggeration too.)
I wasn't calling discipline violence because they're two different things. I was talking about using something like a paddle to make a kid pay attention wouldn't work these days. And hitting IS violence. That's all that I'm saying and I just don't agree with it.

But with all of that being said, kids shouldn't be mouthy and stupid these days and they ARE getting worse. Yes, I've noticed that and it does bother me when someone (especially younger than me) doesn't show any respect for authority because it IS a problem that needs to be dealt with.

I was thinking about the uniforms and even discussed this with my dad and he laughed when I mentioned that I didn't agree with uniforms and he said "it would straighten them out". I looked a little more and read that it does reduce bullying. I should have looked that up before posting my previous comment.

Last edited by artsy11; 11-25-2013 at 01:11 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
I wasn't calling discipline violence because they're two different things. I was talking about using something like a paddle to make a kid pay attention wouldn't work these days. And hitting IS violence. That's all that I'm saying and I just don't agree with it.

But with all of that being said, kids shouldn't be mouthy and stupid these days and they ARE getting worse. Yes, I've noticed that and it does bother me when someone (especially younger than me) doesn't show any respect for authority because it IS a problem that needs to be dealt with.

I was thinking about the uniforms and even discussed this with my dad and he laughed when I mentioned that I didn't agree with uniforms and he said "it would straighten them out". I looked a little more and read that it does reduce bullying. I should have looked that up before posting my previous comment.
I'm all for the uniforms, as much for the boys as the young ladies.

I'm sick and tired of seeing young men wear their pants below their buttocks, exposing their undergarments, sometimes their backside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: