Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

I'll throw in my bias and say Tulsa. I lived there some time back and love the people. Nothing wrong with OKC either, but I need to show some loyalty to the home team.

FWIW:I saw the actor Gene Wilder many years ago in a pool/darts pub, playing some respectable pool against the local hot shots. He came in from time to time for several weeks and I finally asked him what he was doing hanging out in Tulsa, and he said " I like it; people are real here.".

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-19-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
It's actually about 45 miles each way........I know, I live there

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Wonder No More just move halfway (down or up) on the Turner
Turnpike..somewhere in the middle and COMMUTE THE 35 Miles
Into Suburban Oklahoma City Or Tulsa......
I've always wondered why Stroud hasn't grown at all over the years? It is only about a 45 minute drive to each downtown when there is normal traffic. I wouldn't want to do it but it's certainly possible to commute to either city if need be (say one of you works in OKC and the other in Tulsa).

Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
Interesting article...Although it doesnt mention Core to Shore, New mass transit, Maps 3, Devon tower, etc. for OKC. It does give a great perspective from a Tulsans point of view...
A Tale of Two Cities - Tulsa and Oklahoma City have a great deal in common, but has competition helped or gotten in the way? - Cover Story - Cover Story - Urban Tulsa Weekly

The Tulsa-Oklahoma City rivalry is a source of almost limitless fascination to some, including Dr. Bob Blackburn, director of the state Historical Society.

"It's one of my favorite subjects," he said.

Blackburn has spent so much time pondering the nature of that conflict, in fact, that he created "Two Sides of One Coin: The Urban Histories of Oklahoma City and Tulsa," an exhibit dealing with the subject for display at the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City in November 2005. Before that, he and the late Danney Goble--considered one of the state's pre-eminent historians before his death in 2007--spent decades kicking it around, trying to figure out how the rivalry got started and what kept it aflame.

"We got so frustrated over the course of 30 years by this urban rivalry," Blackburn said. "Our question was, 'What is the basis of this, and is there any reality to this besides the differences people have in their minds?' "

Ultimately, Blackburn said, he and Goble concluded the Tulsa-Oklahoma City rivalry was simply artificial, a product of the imagination more than anything else. And yet, to this day, the rivalry persists, though it seems to have gone through one of those periodic cycles in which the balance has shifted.

Tulsa, perhaps for the first time in decades, has been playing catch-up with its sister city down the Turner Turnpike. And that fact is hard to swallow for a number of its residents."

Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Tulsa Leap Frogs Oklahoma City For A Hot Minute Oop's She Did It Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Interesting article...Although it doesnt mention Core to Shore, New mass transit, Maps 3, Devon tower, etc. for OKC. It does give a great perspective from a Tulsans point of view...
A Tale of Two Cities - Tulsa and Oklahoma City have a great deal in common, but has competition helped or gotten in the way? - Cover Story - Cover Story - Urban Tulsa Weekly

The Tulsa-Oklahoma City rivalry is a source of almost limitless fascination to some, including Dr. Bob Blackburn, director of the state Historical Society.

"It's one of my favorite subjects," he said.

Blackburn has spent so much time pondering the nature of that conflict, in fact, that he created "Two Sides of One Coin: The Urban Histories of Oklahoma City and Tulsa," an exhibit dealing with the subject for display at the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City in November 2005. Before that, he and the late Danney Goble--considered one of the state's pre-eminent historians before his death in 2007--spent decades kicking it around, trying to figure out how the rivalry got started and what kept it aflame.

"We got so frustrated over the course of 30 years by this urban rivalry," Blackburn said. "Our question was, 'What is the basis of this, and is there any reality to this besides the differences people have in their minds?' "

Ultimately, Blackburn said, he and Goble concluded the Tulsa-Oklahoma City rivalry was simply artificial, a product of the imagination more than anything else. And yet, to this day, the rivalry persists, though it seems to have gone through one of those periodic cycles in which the balance has shifted.

Tulsa, perhaps for the first time in decades, has been playing catch-up with its sister city down the Turner Turnpike. And that fact is hard to swallow for a number of its residents."
Either City are great Up And Coming Cities , but TULSA made the
World Class Cities Honorable Mentioned List Before Oklahoma City DID

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM

72 posts, read 165,860 times
Move to Stroud - I think it is midway between Tulsa and OKC.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
Hello my name is Donald Stanford,Im trying to find out if I have any reletives in Oklahoma,My grandfather was raised their,He married Lilla Bea Chandler and before my father was born he moved to california,my grandfathers name was Albert Stanford and was born in the 1920's,my father passed away when I was 10 months old Im 44 now,But my family came from Oklahoma and I was looking for any one who might be related,Im trying to find out what nationalty I am,almost all my family in california that I knew has passed away or don't know anything,My grandfathers dad was Ike Stanford,If anyone could help me,Please contact me at [email]dstanford60@yahoo.com[/email] thank you

Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,199 times
I found a court case on page 123 of the Pacific Reporter Vol. 130 (from 1913) that mentions an Ike Stanford as a witness in a robbery case in Briartown, Oklahoma. Seems like about the right era.
The Pacific reporter - Google Books

Old 10-22-2009, 03:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
If you can't find him through the court records, try posting here~

//www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

You wouldn't believe the lengths that some of those regulars go to in helping someone find their lost person.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
If you can't find him through the court records, try posting here~

//www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/
That's good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa