Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM

265 posts, read 904,292 times

Advertisements

Broken Arrow has a lot to offer for families.

Quote from a Letter to the Editor in the Broken Arrow Ledger:
"I am new to Broken Arrow..only a few years..and I can honestly say that in all the places I have lived (and believe me as a military brat and wife I have lived in more states than i can count-INCLUDING TEXAS!!!!) this is the first community that welcomed my family as if we had lived here all our lives..never have I seen such warm people...as for the gifted programs..my children went to texas schools and i have a very gifted son..the programs here allowed him to reach heights the texas schools never could!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGuy View Post
Broken Arrow has a lot to offer for families.

Quote from a Letter to the Editor in the Broken Arrow Ledger:
"I am new to Broken Arrow..only a few years..and I can honestly say that in all the places I have lived (and believe me as a military brat and wife I have lived in more states than i can count-INCLUDING TEXAS!!!!) this is the first community that welcomed my family as if we had lived here all our lives..never have I seen such warm people...as for the gifted programs..my children went to texas schools and i have a very gifted son..the programs here allowed him to reach heights the texas schools never could!!!"
Unless your last name right now happens to be Sisney.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. Sounds to me like some board members need to be removed from their position.

Tulsa World: BA superintendent files lawsuit

Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,542 times
Dear "Carolinemoveswhere"
I work in real estate and can recommend some great neighborhoods and areas for you. It will just depend on what price range you want. There are some really nice, family-oriented neighborhoods in South Jenks, but in the Bixby school district. No flooding at all in this area. I have sold several homes in South Jenks to people whose children go to Bixby schools or have their children in private, Christian school, such as Metro Christian and Victory Christian. Most of the new South Jenks communities have great amenities for raising a family such as community pools, parks, clubhouse, trails, etc and it is easy access to Highway 75 that goes downtown and the Creek Turnpike which is east and west. Jenks and Bixby are both adding brand new Riverfront, entertainment developments and large shopping centers. I happen to live in Jenks and really love the location. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM

779 posts, read 2,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinemoveswhere? View Post
Hi all (or is that, ya'll?) I have posted several times in the last year about moving to Oklahoma. Thank you so much for your patience....

Here I go again... We have about narrowed things down to the Tulsa area, based on topography and other things. And, we were thinking that Jenks would be at the top of our list. But, then I was speaking to someone (my childs classmate's mom), and they apparently lived in the Tulsa area when her older kids were younger. She still has friends there and travels frequently to visit and attend special events. She told me that Jenks was nice, but that Bixby was the place to be. She said the teachers still pray with the kids, as well as the high school football team, that your kids don't have to be star athletes to actually get playing time, that they can still get into top notch universities, that you can still get a bit of property and a nice house for cheap. She said Jenks was getting too big and the schools were huge.

As our kids are in early elementary school, schools are hugely important to us. We don't want them to feel lost in the shuffle, but still want them be prepared for college. Right now they are in Christian private school and we LOVE it. Honestly, that is about the only thing keeping one foot here. The school is small (300 in elementary), well thought of in the community, a great basketball and football program. (we've even got some bball players playing pro now) But, they have a great leadership team, which makes academics a huge priority. Biblical based teaching that is awesome (my 2nd grader knows more about the old testament than I do now)

We are not "Bible thumpers" in the least and would fit in with the overall "live and let live" Oklahoma mentality. (Hey, I went to my first gay wedding just two weekends ago ) But, do take our religion seriously, so a big church would be great.

But, then another friend who lives in Bartlesville said that if we move to Bixby, better buy good flood insurance. Well, I'm not too keen on living where it floods all the time!!! And, he said that people tell him Bixby used to be nice but that it's not so much anymore. Plus, is Bixby super country?

I'm going to be really honest here, and I hope no one gets mad....We are middle to upper middle class and would like to live near similar folks. My husband and I are both well educated. We want to hang out with our WASPy friends on the weekends and talk about little Susie's ballet lessons and little Johnie's baseball team. We want to talk politics over glasses of merlot. But, we want the kids to experience raising animals and gardening, too. My husband wants to putt around on his lawn tractor and sit back with a glass of tea and pride himself on a job well done. We want to take forever at the grocery store because we run into so many people we know. I hope all this doesn't sound totally stupid. I guess I feel the need to apologize for my little "dreams" as I was raised very blue collar and have worked liked the dickens to get to where I am. But, I hate feeling exhausted all the time and want to get to a simpler life.

So, what do you think of the Tulsa suburbs for our family?
Carolinemoveswhere,

Your post was very decent and based on all of your criteria mentioned, I really think that Broken Arrow would be the perfect fit for you and your family. They say that Tulsa is "belt buckle of the bible" and you will find a good number of Churches in Broken Arrow. It is located in southeast Tulsa county, and all in all, it is a nice and safe city to reside. Everybody is friendly, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods, Broken Arrow schools are good, and I really think you will feel at home in this city.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
I would recommend looking further into Owasso if I were you. It is largely upper middle class, particularly in the northeastern quarter of it. It has also has quite a bit shopping and restaurants. Further east, you will find houses in the millions range. As far as Christian schools go, there is Rejoice Christian Schools which goes all the way up to high school now. They have athletics as well and after-care.

I have lived in Owasso for 24 years now and it is growing rapidly as a bedroom community, so the upper middle crust is ever growing there. The growth rate of restaurants and shopping is insane. I believe I heard on the radio recently that in 2006 or 2007, Owasso had 22 new restaurants open.

Anyways, I like it enough to not feel the need to move into Tulsa right now (takes me 13 minutes to get to downtown from home) so my complaints are minimal. Definitely worth considering... you might contact an Owasso Realtor... You might google Fleeta Sunday... she works mainly in Owasso for Keller Williams and she is a long term resident

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsavw View Post
I would recommend looking further into Owasso if I were you. It is largely upper middle class, particularly in the northeastern quarter of it. It has also has quite a bit shopping and restaurants. Further east, you will find houses in the millions range. As far as Christian schools go, there is Rejoice Christian Schools which goes all the way up to high school now. They have athletics as well and after-care.

I have lived in Owasso for 24 years now and it is growing rapidly as a bedroom community, so the upper middle crust is ever growing there. The growth rate of restaurants and shopping is insane. I believe I heard on the radio recently that in 2006 or 2007, Owasso had 22 new restaurants open.

Anyways, I like it enough to not feel the need to move into Tulsa right now (takes me 13 minutes to get to downtown from home) so my complaints are minimal. Definitely worth considering... you might contact an Owasso Realtor... You might google Fleeta Sunday... she works mainly in Owasso for Keller Williams and she is a long term resident
The growth rate of everything in Owasso is insane; that's why a lot of restaurants and other businesses are closing. I've said this before. Owasso got too big for it's britches and it's going to pay the price to some extent.

You can translate that as 'it grew too fast for the infrastructure to keep up'.

The city has to have a plan for it. I think they just promoted the city and started throwing darts on a board without thinking what they were doing as far as growth and infrastructure was concerned.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:04 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
I really appreciate this thread and all the feedback contained in it. My wife and I also want to move from California sometime next year, and are interested in Missouri (I was born and raised near St. Louis, but have never been to Oklahoma) and also the Tulsa area.

Any opinions on Sapulpa? Ideally, we would like to move to an older Victorian-style home. From perusing some real estate sites, it looks like Sapulpa has a number of old Victorians and bungalows, but not Jenks or Bixby. I also saw to my pleasant surprise that Broken Arrow recently won a Top 10 "Best Places to Raise a Family" award from a parenting website, so BA is a place we're eyeballing too.

Finally, how is the topography in and around Sapulpa? More flat, or are there any rolling hills? Thank you so much!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 PM

265 posts, read 904,292 times
I live in Broken Arrow so I can speak for that community. It is very family oriented and the schools are great. The new School Improvements list for 2008 No Child Left Behind came out and Broken Arrow did not have a single school on the list. That is good for a district with more than 16,000 students. Tulsa had several, I believe Jenks had one and Union had 2. You might be able to find a victorian style home in the Broken Arrow area. There are certainly a lot of homes to choose from. Broken Arrow is rapidly growing, but at a healthy rate and growth is expected to pick up even more in the coming years. Over the last decade, BA has seen a lot of new housing developments and that has been the source of growth. Now, the commercial development is following those rooftops with a new Target slated to open in March 2009 and many other retailers following. This commercial growth began when Bass Pro Shops located a store here along the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Great community. If you have any other questions about BA, I would love to try and answer them.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Broken Arrow did not really begin a surge in population until the mid 60's. Prior to that it was a pretty small quiet ag community. the dramatic increase in population was part of the white flight from north Tulsa during that time that boosted both Broken Arrow and Jenks. You will find the type of housing you are looking for in mid-town Tulsa, Collinsville, Coweta, Sapulpa, Sand Springs, Okmulgee, Wagoner, Claremore, Skiatook, Bartlesville, Pawhuska, Bristow, Muskogee, Talhaquah, etc. Those are all areas whose growth and developent predated the 60's and did not experience the massive influx of the post WWII suburbia style and taste from the suburban areas between Admirla and 46th S North and the Osage line to the airport.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Thank you both very much for your feedback! Hopefully my wife and I will get the opportunity to visit BA, Sapulpa and the Tulsa area in May or June of 2009. We've flown back to my native Missouri several times, but haven't made it to Oklahoma yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa