Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,502 times

Advertisements

I am an entry-level tech. I just started working at a dealer and at school about a month ago. No, I did not let my dad drive on bad brakes. Money is very, very tight right now and we are spending it on things that we need. It does need pads and I am still learning how to replace pads at school. In this case, we are carpooling. I had no idea that you could get your rotors turned for 5 dollars at parts stores. What part stores? I am trying the best I can with the situation I am in and will take all the advice I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, NAPA, all of them.

Pads for most cars/half tons are about $15-$20 per axle. You can spend as much as $50 per axle, but for now, don't buy the high dollar, life time warranty ones. You can put pads on old rotors unless you have rivets hitting rotors and the rotors have to be replaced. Depending on what car you have (I am familiar with pickups, Fords Chevy's and Dodges) it is a matter of two allen bolts per side a caliper compressor tool ($4.00) and 20 minutes. 70% or more of the braking occurs on the front, so when you are strapped for cash, only change the front pads. Chances are, they wear out 2/1 faster than the rear. Letting them go will cost you a lot of money if you end up replacing rotors and hubs. Even if you have to change the pads every three months, it is better than not changing them at all.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the advice, Goodpasture.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 AM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
Great advice Goodpasture! It's knowledge like this that helps us all out in tough times. Everyone has knowledge in certain areas that can help someone out in a bind. For instance, I know how to cook real well. So I could help someone to save money by making economical meals and making their own bread, etc. Others can help with knowledge on cars or home repairs that will help save on money.

That's how we Okies do it, we help each other.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 AM

I really do appreciate the gestures you guys and I thank you for your help, Goodpasture and your words of wisdom, seahawksweetie. I know we will be ok because my family and I have Christ in us and we believe in him. There is no need for me to be stressing, but instead just to improvise.

Goodpasture, I am going to try to switch out the front pads because I think they are down to the metal and are rubbing on the rotors and I know for sure that I will need a caliper compressor tool. What is the cheapest price I can get for pads? My dad drives a 1985 BMW 735i sedan? I am going to try O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I really thank you again, sir.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:11 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Go to any of them, they all have a low price guarantee. I haven't bought pads in quite a while. The last time was for a F150, 1992, and they cost me about $9.00 for one axle. I've never done them on a BMW, so I don't know how they are handled or what prices are. I do know that every parts store has a phone, and if you have phone service it just takes a few minutes to call around.....let your fingers do the walking. Find the lowest price, then go to the parts store closest to you. Tell them you can get them for $XX.XX at the other store, naming the store, and get them for the same price without driving any more than you have to.

If you go to a library you can probably look in the Chilton's books and get a photo and written description of how to do the brakes on a BMW. If they don't have it, the parts store will have the book for about $20.00.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 AM

I really appreciate all of your information and help, Goodpasture, and I will let you all resume the talk about Oklahoma's strong economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: