Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Disappointing relocation to Tulsa, Oklahoma, meeting people outside of work, social circles at work, social activities, office politics, bible thumpers, small town mentality

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Stop being a apologist Raelyn28 you haven't done anything wrong ,
and it looks unbecoming of you. You are one of those people that
going to take a long time to ADJUST TO TULSA That's all. Tulsa
and cities like Tulsa in TEXAS are cities with TALL SKYSCRAPERS
and small Metro's that are strictly builded BY BIG OIL BARONS. I
think that you will feel right at HOME after you have been there
3 Years give or take. And Raelyn28 Take This Bit Of Advice SEE
THE GLASS HALF FULL AND NOT HALF EMPTY....SMILE....

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I really didn't expect anything other than making the best out of it and trying to enjoy it.. Sorry I have dissappointed everyone with my experience...

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where –” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

If you didnt have any expectations, it shouldnt have mattered what you found.

LOL your not disappointing ME any. I can care about you and wish you the best just like I would anyone, but I hope you dont think your "experiences" are THAT important? I am sorry to sound mean right now, but that was truly an absurd response to what I was saying. You seem to be feeling really low and trying to reach out for something, or lash out, and I feel for you, but with comments like that it pushes people away and puts you beyond easy means of reaching out to you to offer help or suggestions. And right now, I dont think we can do much. Much of what we say, positive or not, seems to garner negativity or at best barbed contriteness and sincerity. So go ahead and add me to your list of "mean Tulsa people" and reasons to hate Tulsa if thats your want. There are so many people trying to make Tulsa a better place. You have obviously decided your not going to be one of them. If you don't like it here, for whatever reason and those reasons can be legitimately real for you,,, all I can see that you can do is... 1. Find some way to cope. 2. DO something about it and try to make things better. "make a positive difference" 3. Leave. 4. Stay and grumble and whine, and surround yourself with other like minded "I hate Tulsa" people. Your future is yours to choose.

Last edited by TulsaArtist; 01-06-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Stop being a apologist Raelyn28 you haven't done anything wrong ,
and it looks unbecoming of you. You are one of those people that
going to take a long time to ADJUST TO TULSA That's all. Tulsa
and cities like Tulsa in TEXAS are cities with TALL SKYSCRAPERS
and small Metro's that are strictly builded BY BIG OIL BARONS. I
think that you will feel right at HOME after you have been there
3 Years give or take. And Raelyn28 Take This Bit Of Advice SEE
THE GLASS HALF FULL AND NOT HALF EMPTY....SMILE....
Thank you for the encouragement. I truly do appreciate it when someone hangs in there with me. As far as waiting for 3-years to adjust hmmm... actually my husband may be up for a transfer this August or next year and we would be going back to Portland. He really misses the PNW along with our two boys and my older son would love to go to college in Oregon. We will just have to see what happens.

Anyway, thanks again and I will do as you say and look at the glass half full, lol...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where –” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

If you didnt have any expectations, it shouldnt have mattered what you found.

LOL your not disappointing ME any. I can care about you and wish you the best just like I would anyone, but I hope you dont think your "experiences" are THAT important? I am sorry to sound mean right now, but that was truly an absurd response to what I was saying. You seem to be feeling really low and trying to reach out for something, or lash out, and I feel for you, but with comments like that it pushes people away and puts you beyond easy means of reaching out to you to offer help or suggestions. And right now, I dont think we can do much. Much of what we say, positive or not, seems to garner negativity or at best barbed contriteness and sincerity. So go ahead and add me to your list of "mean Tulsa people" and reasons to hate Tulsa if thats your want. There are so many people trying to make Tulsa a better place. You have obviously decided your not going to be one of them. If you don't like it here, for whatever reason and those reasons can be legitimately real for you,,, all I can see that you can do is... 1. Find some way to cope. 2. DO something about it and try to make things better. "make a positive difference" 3. Leave. 4. Stay and grumble and whine, and surround yourself with other like minded "I hate Tulsa" people. Your future is yours to choose.
You are right about my choices for sure. I really haven't tried to push people away.. I have gone to this forum many times with positive posts and questions regarding businesses and questions that I had regarding Tulsa. Actually I looked through my posts today and there are only a handful that even suggest that I am unhappy here. Most of them just say that I miss Washington or I am having a difficult time adjusting. So what? It is a truthful comment and for some reason there are posters here that cannot handle the truth (at least from me). I view other threads that talk about crime, rendering plants, the Tulsa Police, extreme weather, etc, etc, yet nobody says that those threads are negative yet they are more negative then the things I am saying.

I honestly believe some of you just cannot handle the fact that someone is different then you. Maybe I rock the boat too much and you want to live without waves? Whatever the case I just don't get it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond. This is really getting off-topic and I answered the OP long ago so we need to get back on topic because this is about him not me. Hopefully he was helped with my post.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,446 times
And then you respond with yet another negative response? And also responses that contradict each other.

"I looked through my posts today and there are only a handful that even suggest that I am unhappy here."...

" Hello, I am so sorry that you are feeling this way but don't feel too bad because I am not happy here in Tulsa either. In fact I am quite depressed to say the least...." If thats a mere suggestion of being unhappy, I would hate to hear you say it outright lol.

and

" I really didn't expect anything other than making the best out of it and trying to enjoy it."

".... I guess I had higher expectations and I tried really hard to be positive but I just don't feel comfortable here and I don't feel welcome either. "

??????

When you say things like this...

"It is a truthful comment and for some reason there are posters here that cannot handle the truth."

Thats, negative, self aggrandizing, and your twisting around wording. I dont think anyone on here would say that any comment of... "I miss Washington or I am having a difficult time adjusting." was not true and to say that "for some reason there are posters here that cannot handle the (this) truth" is viciously mean. Show me anywhere where someone is denying or has said that, you missing Washington, is a lie,,, or its a lie that you are having a difficult time adjusting. Show me, and I will gladly apologize.

And then there is this... "I honestly believe some of you just cannot handle the fact that someone is different then you. Maybe I rock the boat too much and you want to live without waves?"

First off I dont even get how your the one who is different somehow, this "fact", and why you seem to bring it up as you do? Why are you different? Explain it to us?

Rock the boat too much? Psh... apparently you dont have a clue as to who I am lol. I belong to multiple organizations and groups here who practically make a job of it to "rock the boat" lol. I am a gay artist (nuff said right there actually) and I am working with people to try and turn a sprawling, suburban, car oriented, unhealthy lifestyle, city towards a more dense, pedestrian friendly, urban, and healthy lifestyle one. Rock the boat... I cant sneaze in this town without rocking someones boat.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
A........... I am working with people to try and turn a sprawling, suburban, car oriented, unhealthy lifestyle, city towards a more dense, pedestrian friendly, urban, and healthy lifestyle one...........
I'd like to get together sometime over a cup of coffee, when I'm in town......I would love to hear more about how you envision things......hopefully being old and straight won't be an impediment.........

Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Artist, you may be considered a "boat rocker", but I think it's fabulous that you're working on improving the city. I've always thought cities that have walkable areas are a perfect solution for a lot of our problems.

They just had an article in the AARP mag about a city in Mn. that accomplished this. It seems like it drew generations together because groups would walk children to school~grandparents, parents, etc. Of course, they saved on energy, gas, etc. AND their obesity rate plummeted and some health problems practically disappeared. They even formed walking groups so they could give each other encouragement and it helped newcomers feel accepted and welcome.

You're probably helping in a lot of ways you never thought of at the start of this.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
LeaveWI and Raelyn28 have just left the building,well LeaveWI I guess that
you are back with the Significant Other , which I think was the whole
Problem to begin with "Raelyn28" you were just ahead of the times
Tulsa Pearl District Canal isn't developed "yet" and the downtown
baseball park isn't open"yet" and the "Route 66 Development" is
just beginning to develope and isn't ready "yet" (however) I think
That Tulsa is going to be "very comparible" to Portland Oregon
once these projects are completed.."not saying" that it going to
be a (Radical City Like Portland) (But) "have the Intrestructure" of
a Big League City Like Portland , Sacramento , Salt Lake City
San Jose CA and last but not Least Oklahoma City.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
And then you respond with yet another negative response? And also responses that contradict each other.

"I looked through my posts today and there are only a handful that even suggest that I am unhappy here."...

" Hello, I am so sorry that you are feeling this way but don't feel too bad because I am not happy here in Tulsa either. In fact I am quite depressed to say the least...." If thats a mere suggestion of being unhappy, I would hate to hear you say it outright lol.

and

" I really didn't expect anything other than making the best out of it and trying to enjoy it."

".... I guess I had higher expectations and I tried really hard to be positive but I just don't feel comfortable here and I don't feel welcome either. "

??????

When you say things like this...

"It is a truthful comment and for some reason there are posters here that cannot handle the truth."

Thats, negative, self aggrandizing, and your twisting around wording. I dont think anyone on here would say that any comment of... "I miss Washington or I am having a difficult time adjusting." was not true and to say that "for some reason there are posters here that cannot handle the (this) truth" is viciously mean. Show me anywhere where someone is denying or has said that, you missing Washington, is a lie,,, or its a lie that you are having a difficult time adjusting. Show me, and I will gladly apologize.

And then there is this... "I honestly believe some of you just cannot handle the fact that someone is different then you. Maybe I rock the boat too much and you want to live without waves?"

First off I dont even get how your the one who is different somehow, this "fact", and why you seem to bring it up as you do? Why are you different? Explain it to us?

Rock the boat too much? Psh... apparently you dont have a clue as to who I am lol. I belong to multiple organizations and groups here who practically make a job of it to "rock the boat" lol. I am a gay artist (nuff said right there actually) and I am working with people to try and turn a sprawling, suburban, car oriented, unhealthy lifestyle, city towards a more dense, pedestrian friendly, urban, and healthy lifestyle one. Rock the boat... I cant sneaze in this town without rocking someones boat.
No comment. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
I think this thread has run it's course and now it is going in circles...

Thanks for all of the thoughtful and helpful posts everyone!

Rae, I am going to suggest that you start a personal blog (we have them here at City-Data ) or perhaps a private diary.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa