Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:59 PM

35 posts, read 91,892 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, my name is Kelly, I'm 24 years old and I currently live in Buffalo, NY. I have only visited Tulsa twice but I loved it so much that I am considering moving there in a few years. Everyone in Tulsa was so nice and you seem to have a slower pace of life there which I would really love. I love Buffalo but because of a health condition the winters are getting very hard for me to get through. I know Buffalo is very different than Tulsa so I am worried about a few things if I do move there. Everyone in Tulsa seems very nice but I have heard that if your aren't religions some people will not accept you, is that true? Also I was wondering what are some nice areas of Tulsa? From what I saw I really liked Jenks and Broken Arrow when I was there. Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

265 posts, read 904,480 times
There is plenty outside of the religous groups. Broken Arrow is a great community. Glad to hear you liked it. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
My coworker is from Rochester and she likes it here. She lives in BA and doesn't go to church. She doesn't make friends easily either.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM

75 posts, read 249,487 times
hi kelly

i think i have a very good understanding of your situation. i moved to tulsa twice from buffalo in the last 10 years. i am back in wny now so i can give some good insight.

1 where in the WNY area are you the city, burbs, or rural. I am in hamburg and will say right now BA, and south tulsa are very much like amherst. midtown, brookside and cherry st are like the elmwood north buffalo area
2 who is coming with you if you have or will have school age kids look at jenks, BA, owasso, or the union area of the city. TPS is not the best school district , you can find some good schools in the city but it is much more difficult
3 work what do you do might help give settleing ideas.
4 i am not religious and i did just fine. i even meet my wife in tulsa. you will find politically the area is more conservative then wny if that is an issue.
5 do you have friends or family in the area becuase i got sent down to tulsa the first time with a job relocation with 10 other buffalo people. just curious about you connect to the area
6 last you will find the job market to be better the unemployment rate is 3% so finding work should not be to hard. and you you find some consumer items to be somewhat to much cheaper like gas which is a dollar less in tulsa

Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks everybody for your reply's, they have been really helpful!

dekes1969, I can't believe I found someone from Buffalo who has lived in Tulsa! If you don' mind me asking what company do you work for? Here are the answers to your questions...

1. I live in Cheektowaga right near the airport. It's ok but I like the Williamsville area a lot better.

2. I would be coming with my twin sister. We both are not married and we don't have any kids.

3. We both only have an associates degree so I would probably start with any job when I moved there. (working at the zoo or the aquarium would be my dream job).

4. That is so nice that you met your wife in Tulsa, how does she like Buffalo? I can see how Tulsa would be more conservative than Buffalo. I wanted to ask you did you find the people in Tulsa to be anymore friendly than here?

5. I do have family near Tulsa. My aunt lives in a tiny town called Hominy, I would never want to move to such a little town but I knew that I liked the whole area as soon as I got off the plane.

6. cheaper gas is a major plus.

Thanks so much again for your help!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
BuffaloGoo,

You have a great attitude; similar to autotech4dallas. I think you'll do fine in Tulsa. Although I live in DFW, Tulsa is one FINE city and I'd love to live there.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGoo View Post
Hi everybody, my name is Kelly, I'm 24 years old and I currently live in Buffalo, NY. I have only visited Tulsa twice but I loved it so much that I am considering moving there in a few years. Everyone in Tulsa was so nice and you seem to have a slower pace of life there which I would really love. I love Buffalo but because of a health condition the winters are getting very hard for me to get through. I know Buffalo is very different than Tulsa so I am worried about a few things if I do move there. Everyone in Tulsa seems very nice but I have heard that if your aren't religions some people will not accept you, is that true? Also I was wondering what are some nice areas of Tulsa? From what I saw I really liked Jenks and Broken Arrow when I was there. Thanks so much for your help!
Hey BuffaloGoo,

I wish you all the best on your move to Tulsa in a few years and I really think you will enjoy it very much.

John, also known as autotech4dallas

Old 11-16-2008, 01:03 PM

hi kelly

I was transfered because I worked for ATT at the time and our office here in Buffalo was closed

I am back here now because I am getting my PHD and my parents are in the md 70's and did not want the my kids to not spend time with them. I see our family moving back to Tulsa in the nect 10 years.

the city of tulsa jobs website has posting for a zoo keeper opening says needs 2 yr degree and the money looks good

the people in tulsa are more friendly then in the buffalo for the most part. however i recommend jumping intoa organization to meet people that will really help you break the ice.

the places i feel you would like to live would be Jenks because it is very much like williamsville or any where in the city of tulsa south of 61st east of lewis west of mingo. it is very amherst like in that area

if you have any other questions or need me to go into detail let me know i will respond to best of my ability

Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 PM

sorry alos fogot that the jenks aquarium has opening too albeit part time but the are on the jecks city site under employeement

Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks so much again dekes1969! You have been so helpful. If I have anymore questions I will be sure to contact you. Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa