Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 65,251 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I are moving to Oklahoma. We're a younger couple, and his parents live in Oklahoma. I've always lived in Vermont, and have only visited Oklahoma once, to see his parents with him, in Chickasha area.

We're not too sure that we want to be quite so close to them, but have considered Lawton as an option - we would just have to find a good house there, something in decent shape (in need of easy DIY stuff is fine, we do that sort of thing anyhow) and for a decent price (below $25,000 is preferable). Only need 2-3 bedrooms (though more is fine) and 1 bath (though more is also fine, must have a bathtub though) but the kitchen needs to have decent space, especially counters. Same goes for Tulsa area (Sapulpa, Broken Arrow, Muskogee, etc.) We've found a couple of things...

I need neighbourhood information for:
- 4634 N Boston Place, Tulsa, OK 74126
- 9 E 50th Place North, Tulsa, OK 74126
- 301 W Commercial Street, Haskell, OK 74436
- 2006 SW 24th Street, Lawton, OK, 73507
- 905 SW McKinley Avenue, Lawton OK 73501
- 1227 E Pecan Street, Cushing, OK 74023

Just various places that we've given some consideration to.

Also... who provides phone/internet service in Haskell? Is there cable internet, or just DSL? We couldn't find ANYTHING on that.

As for schools... I'm going to college, majoring in English (creative writing focus). What are there for schools offering a BA in English in or near Tulsa? What about Lawton? I found a place called Cameron University - any good?

I would be SO appreciative if people could give reviews on these areas, how much crime there is and such, as well as school suggestions. If someone happens to know a good site to find good, yet inexpensive, housing in Oklahoma, I would LOVE a link!

Thank you so much in advance! =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
DM me your email address and I'll send you the MLS sheets on those addresses later today.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM

68 posts, read 230,229 times
Tulss has several universities, TU, OU, OSU, ORU and NORTHEAST University in Broken arrow about 10 min. from Tulsa, there maybe more i'm kinda new to the area. I'm origanelly)sP) ffrom Lawton, and from what I hhere Cameron University Is supposed to be good, but the problem is Lawton itself it was pretty mean when I left there and from what I here it's gotten worse.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 AM

75 posts, read 249,487 times
tadaasana;

just a couple of questions

1 you have a very spread out area you are looking to live NE OK is has distinct things about it from the Western part of the state and vice versa. In order to help more could you narrow your search specs down a bit

2 Were or what do intend to do for work ? this will help all us with getting you good info

3 I see you have lived in Vermont for most of your life What is the reason for the move ? I ask this becuase I have family in Rutland and grew up in upstate NY before I moved/lived in Tulsa for 5 years. Work sent me and I have grown to really like the Tulsa metro area( even though back in NY now would not rule out Tulsa again) Just wanted to see what is the reason for the relo again that info will help with the info you are looking for

4 lastly good luck you will find this forum a wealth of info and the people are here to help

Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 AM

@Schousse: All right, thanks.

@okie in tx: Do you mean the crime in Lawton? What do you mean by it being "mean"? If there's a lot of bad stuff happening there, it's probably not the place for me, since I've grown up in VT and am a little nervous about bigger places anyway... don't want to automatically make myself hate city life.

@dekes1969: The reason for the spreading out is because, originally, we meant to move relatively close to my in-laws... that is, in the OKC/Lawton area. Then, my husband thought to look near Tulsa, because we're not entirely sure we want to be SO close to his parents... we may never get time to ourselves, y'know? So... that's where the discrepency is. At this point, it's a matter of convenience - basically, where can we get the best house for the least money, in a decent neighbourhood, with a good school relatively nearby, etc. If it's in OKC area, that's fine. Tulsa is fine also. We started looking a bit at Wichita Falls TX as well, since that's got a bit of distance from his parents and still close enough to visit and a large enough area for the things that we require.

I intend to be in school for the most of it - for work, most likely a job in graphic/web design or something of the like. That's most of what I do freelance anyhow. My husband would just want a decent part time job that won't require too much reading, especially quick reading, because that's hard for him. He may be in school for something computer-related, and would likely do some computer repairs or tech support stuff, 'cause he's good at that. His parents are helping us have enough money to get by the first couple months until we find jobs, while getting settled and such. We'll have to pay them back, but it makes this a lot easier to do.

We're moving for a number of reasons, but the big one is this: I've been here for way too long. Honestly, once you've lived somewhere basically your entire life, and never really seen anything else, except for a couple of visits out of state. I want to go to college out of state, and I want to experience something that isn't perpetual small-town living. I loved Oklahoma when I went there for a few weeks to see my in-laws, and so I figured, since I'm moving away from everything I've ever really known (including my father and extended family) so I want to be near someone I know, besides my husband, obviously, and it was between his parents or my two little sibling and their father, who are in College Station, TX. I really just want to get out of here, at least for college, and see something, anything new. I guess, the short answer: change of scenery.

Thanks so much. =]

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Zip Code 74126 is frequently targeted as a urban/community renewal area. cheap houses, but not a place you want to raise kids. Haskell is a nice little town, pretty distant from anywhere, but it is a good little farming community. I don't know Lawton well enough to know about it. Cushing is a good town with a bit of money. It is the crossroads of America for oil pipelines, so the oil boom is going to keep it solid. It has a couple of decent restaurants, a movie theater, a lumber yard, a super Walmart. they have a good FFA at the high school too. Of all the choices you offered, the only two I would consider is Haskell and Cushing, and of the two I prefer Cushing.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,198 times
Have you tried Oklahoma City?
Or is that going to be too close?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Nah, OKC wouldn't be too close at all. =] We've looked at a few places there, but OKC and Lawton both seem to have a hard time actually listing much information or even accurate sq. ft. for homes there. =/

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM

75 posts, read 249,487 times
IMHO i would go for stillwater you would not have a huge city distance from inlaws but still drive distance a great university and not a one stop town

ps i have little regard for witchita falls my old employer sent me there a couple of times for work and it is not appealing.... at least to me

Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Anyone know what N. 11th St. in Muskogee OK is like?

ETA: What was bad about Wichita Falls, dekes1969? Also, I couldn't find much for sale in Stillwater. =[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa