Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,494 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
We're possibly moving to the Tulsa area. Looking for a very nice suburb.
I need good schools (have a 8 y/o child) and can spend up to around 500K for a home. I'm concerned about the lack of racial diversity and racism. Should I be? What area do you think my family would fit in the best? Thanks.

Hiddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Hello Hiddy,
People in Tulsa are more concerned about what kind of neighbor or friend you'd be more so than the color of your skin. Like anywhere else, you may encounter an occasional a__hole moron, but that's by far the exception rather than the rule.
Treat everyone else as you'd like to be treated and you'll be just fine. I can't recommend any specific areas because I don't live in Tulsa anymore (wish I did), but for 500k you could live anywhere you choose. And by anywhere I mean in some of the nicest areas in all of Tulsa. I wish you and your child the very best!
Cheers

Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,321 times
Smile Move to Broken Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddy View Post
Hi Guys,
I need good schools (have a 8 y/o child) and can spend up to around 500K for a home. I'm concerned about the lack of racial diversity and racism. Should I be? What area do you think my family would fit in the best? Thanks.

Hiddy
Acually Broken Arrow is a good area. My husband and I lived in Hampton Virginia prior to moving to Oklahoma. We have found that Broken Arrow is a melting pot, has wonderful schools and neighborhoods. Most if not all of our neigbors have moved from some other state to so its nice. We all look out for each others children and homes. I think if you are opened minded you will love it in Oklahoma. There are some really nice homes in your price range on 101st. Southern Trails is really nice. THere are also some real nice homes on Lynn Lane and Broken Arrow is only 5 minutes from Tulsa. So you have a small town feel 5 minutes from Tulsa. I really hope that this helps.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 114,556 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hiddy
Tulsa is ok, not to much diversity and some racism, it is here. 500k move to Jenks Schools it is the best for everything, just avoid North and East and West Tulsa, not good.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM

17 posts, read 114,556 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hiddy
By the I am Black, and what i was saying about North Tulsa and etc, there are good place all of Tulsa and bad. I lived two minute from Jenks, Ok and my car has been broken into three times, and a few rapes around here to living by ORU dose not keep you safe never what.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,407 times
Default I'm new too...

I'm black and new to Tulsa. Too new to recommend much of anything ... 'cept a few lines about what I've seen so far.

Looks like one can carve out a really good quality of life really quickly here. You didn't mention your age, nor career. I'm in my mid-50's and I drive a semi (truck) so I am getting a chance to look around.

You also didn't mention if you wanted to live a suburban or more rural area. (There dosen't seem to be a classic "Urban" lifestyle here ... which is a plus!)

I've met some really friendly people here ... some really down-to-earth and helpful people here ... and I've met some fools who still think they're gunfighters. (You know ... they look at you with those squinty-eyes, and hold thar arms out like they're ready to draw their imaginary pistols on you at any second. Men aNd women. They even try to walk like they're wearing spurs and kinda bent over like they just got off a horse. Amazing when we're facing China and India usurping us as economic world leaders and all the resulting turmoil that's going to bring... but I digress.)

On the whole blacks seem content here and crime is low because there are jobs. Tons of cheap houses. (Keep some of that cash in the bank/investments. You won't need it.)

If you're looking for a more rural experience, there's some good internet links I can send you if you send me a private message ... but please remind me of what post you wrote.

But you must have looked around before moving here. Perhaps you can tell me more than I can tell you! Why did you decide on Tulsa rather than Oklahoma City?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:31 PM

This is good, that some African Americans are here to chime in on things. Mainly, since I'm white I have no real idea what level of racism exists on a day-to-day basis. I can observe, which I do, but it isn't the same. Veganwriter (love that name) and redsoxfan are going to be in a better position to offer the real low down on racism in the area. I hope to find that it's not prevalent. Veganwriter, I know what you mean about the guys that look like they just climbed down off a horse; probably many of them did or at the very least like to pretend that they did! Good luck to you all. Veganwriter, I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,407 times
Default Oh ... racism is alive and well here ... it's just ...

Unfortunately, the longer I'm here, the more prevalent I see the racism here. It's sad because it stops many whites from being stronger and healthier (emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically) than the could be.

Too many folks trying to "prove" themselves to be "something" based on what a stranger who couldn't care less thinks of them. It's pure silliness.

Still ... there are also plenty of good hearted people here who balance things off. And there are also those in the middle who just want to smile, get through the day, and then go home.

Let's be real ... it's our combined cross to bear. I still see Tulsa as a place where anyone with a plan can come and carve out a quality life for themselves. Just don't expect the problems they had "back home" to disappear when they get here.

As the old saying goes ... "everywhere I went, I took myself with me."

Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,160 times
I had a black friend in MS. She was from Jamaica. She had lived in Portland, OR and said that she preferred the south because she knew where she stood whereas in Portland people were busy being "politically correct" about the blacks. Whereas, I, being from CA and being white hated the south for their racism, their constant comments about the blacks. I have not seen that here in OK. But it boils down to the fact that every State and every country has it racism; some just show it more than others or are not as racist. But I do feel overall that Oklahoma is not as racist as many States that I have been in; in fact I haven't seen any racism. But Veganwriter would know.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Unfortunately, the longer I'm here, the more prevalent I see the racism here. It's sad because it stops many whites from being stronger and healthier (emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically) than the could be.

Too many folks trying to "prove" themselves to be "something" based on what a stranger who couldn't care less thinks of them. It's pure silliness.

Still ... there are also plenty of good hearted people here who balance things off. And there are also those in the middle who just want to smile, get through the day, and then go home.

Let's be real ... it's our combined cross to bear. I still see Tulsa as a place where anyone with a plan can come and carve out a quality life for themselves. Just don't expect the problems they had "back home" to disappear when they get here.

As the old saying goes ... "everywhere I went, I took myself with me."
It's good to hear the perspective from someone in a better position such as yourself veganwriter. Thanks for the intelligent, informative post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa