Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

City data deleting comments by trolls, personal attacks not allowed on city data website, forum posters to stick to topic of original post, argumentative posts not allowed

Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

100 posts, read 267,284 times

Advertisements

recently i saw an article about city data censoring comments by what city data calls trolls. is this true or have yall heard this,i know ive been called a troll because of an unpopular comment but i did not feel censored

Last edited by kbarjae; 01-25-2009 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarjae View Post
recently i saw an article about city data censoring comments by what city data calls trolls. is this true or have yall heard this,i know ive been called a troll because of an unpopular comment but i did not feel censored
You have done better as a poster. The reason I singled you out as a troll then is because your very first post on this forum (Tulsa) closed with 'be wary of moving here; it ain't nice here'. We've had several people try to make blanket statements that are not backed up with fact. Yours appeared to be one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...ml#post6703503

Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
There are several threads on what is a Troll. An unpopular opinion is not a troll per se, a troll is someone whose only aim is to make inflammatory posts of a personal nature rather than "discuss" a topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...ng-trolls.html

Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 56,077 times
This is a tough one because a co-worker (the one that told me about this website, actually) was upset with this board because she had made some posts about not liking Tulsa (even though she lives there) but had no personal attacks, just reasons why she didn't like the city and things she wanted that the city didn't have to offer her. Again - nothing personal, just her own opinion on her own situation, yet her post was taken off this board by one of the moderators (I read the post too before this happened about 6 months or so ago - and I saw nothing mildly offensive, especially when you read some of the general board stuff!) I think some moderators are just more particular and sensitive than others? I'm not so sure how this works yet.

so far a post-removal hasn't happened to me, but fingers crossed! I'm a new member, and I've tried to be extra careful on particular boards though, so here's hoping our personal opinions won't be misconstrued as personal attacks on a city!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen101 View Post
This is a tough one because a co-worker (the one that told me about this website, actually) was upset with this board because she had made some posts about not liking Tulsa (even though she lives there) but had no personal attacks, just reasons why she didn't like the city and things she wanted that the city didn't have to offer her. Again - nothing personal, just her own opinion on her own situation, yet her post was taken off this board by one of the moderators (I read the post too before this happened about 6 months or so ago - and I saw nothing mildly offensive, especially when you read some of the general board stuff!) I think some moderators are just more particular and sensitive than others? I'm not so sure how this works yet.

so far a post-removal hasn't happened to me, but fingers crossed! I'm a new member, and I've tried to be extra careful on particular boards though, so here's hoping our personal opinions won't be misconstrued as personal attacks on a city!
THere are times in some forums when debates get heated and opinions differ greatly. Usually, the mod[s] will give a warning to get back to the OP's original post, or else. I had one deleted once because it showed up after the mod's warning. Actually, by the time I finished what I wanted to say, a whole page had showed up, and apparently mine was the last straw for the mod. She deleted my post and locked the thread. And I really do not consider myself either a troll or a rabble-rouser. It was just lousy timing.

Generally speaking, if you make a negative post it's a good idea to say also that it's your personal opinion, and back up the negative comments with examples. You might even get some suggestions on how to turn the negative experiences into positive ones.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Unpopular comments are fine, but trolling to elicit a negative reaction isn't welcomed. Opinions are welcome here on city-data, even negative ones if they are backed up with statistics and such.

Discussion is a fine thing, but people that come on to a forum with a singular agenda is suspicious.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 56,077 times
My concern is that often it is hard to back an opinion (negative OR positive) with facts - that is why in the truest sense of the word, an opinion is an opinion, not a fact. If I say I love the shopping in a certain city or think the outdoor activities and parks lack in another, that may be a personal opinion for me, not a fact that can be solidly backed up (for instance, I might like different stores than someone else or feel like the park system doesn't meet my specific and personal needs even if there are parks, etc). This would be an opinion, and I don't think it should be banned because it's not backed by specific facts or because the moderator disagrees or perceives it as a diss to the city. Just my two cents.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen101 View Post
My concern is that often it is hard to back an opinion (negative OR positive) with facts - that is why in the truest sense of the word, an opinion is an opinion, not a fact. If I say I love the shopping in a certain city or think the outdoor activities and parks lack in another, that may be a personal opinion for me, not a fact that can be solidly backed up (for instance, I might like different stores than someone else or feel like the park system doesn't meet my specific and personal needs even if there are parks, etc). This would be an opinion, and I don't think it should be banned because it's not backed by specific facts or because the moderator disagrees or perceives it as a diss to the city. Just my two cents.
We don't worry so much about opinions that cite themselves as opinions. But when you make a blanket statement about Tulsa or Oklahoma in general like 'don't move here; it isn't nice', I just don't see fact in that statement.

How to change it? Change the phrase to 'In my opinion, I wouldn't move to Oklahoma. Some of the people aren't nice'. Which is still a blanket statement, but quantifies that it's an opinion.

There's a reason this forum says Tulsa on it. Most everyone here is from Tulsa, has lived in Tulsa, or is possibly looking to move to Tulsa. We've had some posters in the past just blatantly talk the city down. Sure, we don't claim to be perfect, but we're not the giant 'suck-hole' that some people would like to have others believe.

I was born here. I lived here all of my life save for three years when I had temporary insanity and lived in Houston TX. I liked it there for the most part, but it was just too big for my taste. Plus, I didn't have any friends other than those I made at work, and I saw them 5 days a week. Why would I go out and socialize with them? So, when I was 26, I moved home.

But I was glad I got to live somewhere else. Maybe that's why I'm so defensive. I missed what I had in Tulsa while living in SE Texas. I don't believe you really, truly appreciate a city or a place until you've spent a long time away from it.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
We don't worry so much about opinions that cite themselves as opinions. But when you make a blanket statement about Tulsa or Oklahoma in general like 'don't move here; it isn't nice', I just don't see fact in that statement.

How to change it? Change the phrase to 'In my opinion, I wouldn't move to Oklahoma. Some of the people aren't nice'. Which is still a blanket statement, but quantifies that it's an opinion.

There's a reason this forum says Tulsa on it. Most everyone here is from Tulsa, has lived in Tulsa, or is possibly looking to move to Tulsa. We've had some posters in the past just blatantly talk the city down. Sure, we don't claim to be perfect, but we're not the giant 'suck-hole' that some people would like to have others believe.

I was born here. I lived here all of my life save for three years when I had temporary insanity and lived in Houston TX. I liked it there for the most part, but it was just too big for my taste. Plus, I didn't have any friends other than those I made at work, and I saw them 5 days a week. Why would I go out and socialize with them? So, when I was 26, I moved home.

But I was glad I got to live somewhere else. Maybe that's why I'm so defensive. I missed what I had in Tulsa while living in SE Texas. I don't believe you really, truly appreciate a city or a place until you've spent a long time away from it.
Big thumbs up for this post BigOkie. Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: