Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times

Advertisements

Went past there yesterday and it seems it is almost all knocked down........Back in the 50's, going to Borden's Cafeteria up on top was a Sunday event.........I remember guys in Jr High hanging out under the ramp smoking cigarettes.....and the occasional fight over there.......

Mayo Meadows is gone, now Sheridan Village.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Went past there yesterday and it seems it is almost all knocked down........Back in the 50's, going to Borden's Cafeteria up on top was a Sunday event.........I remember guys in Jr High hanging out under the ramp smoking cigarettes.....and the occasional fight over there.......

Mayo Meadows is gone, now Sheridan Village.............
Haha, I went to that Junior High from 80-82, Bell if I remember right.

You weren't really initiated into the seventh grade until someone 'bushed' you (ninth graders would throw some of the seventh graders into the bushes on the back side of that shopping center).

And yes, they are tearing it down. Not sure what is going to be in there.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
kinda sucks that its gone alot of memories there bordens and buds and smoking before school under the ramp, wenchell donuts was across the street from sheridan village

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Speaking of Bells Jr High.......anyone remember the name of the overweight female Geometry teacher sometime around 1960-62? I recall going to her class for the first time, and she had her name, her weight, and the words "Not Married" on the chalk board. She said she did that so people would not speculate as to what she weighed or if she were married. Further, she said, she would not marry ever, and that she had no use for a man in her life.

She then proceeded to teach geometry in a way that we could understand. Fantastic teacher with a deep compassion for students.

I recall she caught one student (I think it was Phil Driscoll the Christian trumpet player) writing on the desk....scratching something into the varnish. His punishment was to spend several hours after school sanding and varnishing his desk in the wood shop. When it was finished, it was put at the front of the class and he was the only one allowed to sit in it. She said he had done a good job and was rewarded with being the only one that year that could use that desk. What a lesson for all of us.

Miss Gibson......I think was her name.......I would LOVE to talk to her today, but I imagine she is long passed...........

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Speaking of Bells Jr High.......anyone remember the name of the overweight female Geometry teacher sometime around 1960-62? I recall going to her class for the first time, and she had her name, her weight, and the words "Not Married" on the chalk board. She said she did that so people would not speculate as to what she weighed or if she were married. Further, she said, she would not marry ever, and that she had no use for a man in her life.

She then proceeded to teach geometry in a way that we could understand. Fantastic teacher with a deep compassion for students.

I recall she caught one student (I think it was Phil Driscoll the Christian trumpet player) writing on the desk....scratching something into the varnish. His punishment was to spend several hours after school sanding and varnishing his desk in the wood shop. When it was finished, it was put at the front of the class and he was the only one allowed to sit in it. She said he had done a good job and was rewarded with being the only one that year that could use that desk. What a lesson for all of us.

Miss Gibson......I think was her name.......I would LOVE to talk to her today, but I imagine she is long passed...........
Sounds like a really good teacher. Those types are golden. She probably taught that young man a good lesson that he has kept through his entire life.

We had a curmudgeon of an English teacher in high school, her name was Mrs. Turpin. She was very much feared, but everyone that came out of her class learned to respect her a great deal because she cared so much about the students actually learning something.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
She probably taught that young man a good lesson that he has kept through his entire life.

YouTube - Phil Driscoll Amazing Grace

YouTube - Phil Driscoll - Dedication to Bill Clinton Library

He turned out ok, I guess...........

Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Awesome!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,879 times
Quote:

That teacher's name was Ms. Milton! She was dedicated to her job. I kept my geometry folder (she had everyone make one) for years after, until I lost it (I grieve this) in a move. I would give anything to have that yellow folder back. Anyway, she used to come over to my house to tutor me. It pissed off my mother for reasons I couldn't figure out back then. Now I know why my Mom didn't like her: she was different, and that couldn't happen in my Mom's very naïve conservative world. I guess she didn't trust her either. I did. I thought she was the greatest! Very inspiring woman. I loved geometry class, and I know her class made a difference in my life.

Anyway, I enjoyed your story about her and Phil Driscoll. I have another tidbit memory: She would tear a phonebook in half in front of the class. That was the 60's so maybe not as big. But it was still an incredible thing to watch. Thanks for the memories!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM

That's right......Ms Milton........another thing she put on the board at the beginning of the year was her age. I can still see it up there (now that I have the name right). When I was in 8th grade she was 41.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: