Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen101 View Post
Mid town and northern suburbs tend to be completely flat with very little trees
Take that comment with a very little grain of salt. Mid town Tulsa is full of trees that would rival any city in the country.

Consider the poster having only three posts on this forum; an agenda perhaps?

Mid-town Tulsa is a beautiful area.

Some pictures of the Tulsa area; specifically mid-town.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 56,050 times
No agenda, just personal experience with the area as I have lived mid-town and currently live in Tulsa area now. These are indeed nice neighborhoods and look like they are around the Philbrook museum area - slightly out of the OP's price range, I would be willing to bet. Some of the old established homes and neighborhoods do have these nice trees and are indeed lovely, but as a whole Tulsa (from 31st street to 71st-ish, along with northern suburbs like the majority of Owasso) is fairly flat with shorter trees. Any kind of new construction tends to wipe out the trees. I think people that have lived in more heavily treed areas such as MO, TN, KY etc have different opinions (OPINIONS, not agendas.) Just because there are neighborhoods with pockets of trees does not mean this is a general rule for the area, believe me. I drive around this city every day.

The shorter trees make sense - we get a lot of whipping winds and weather that allow these shorter trees prosper. Let me stress before I am attacked - NOT a BAD landscape, just a different one than it seems like the original poster is used to!

And P.S. - I only have a couple posts because I just recently joined. Please don't criticize because I haven't been around this website as long as some individuals!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Welcome to city-data evergreen101. I encourage your opinions. Yes, those are indeed around mid-town and most likely out of the OP's price range.

There are a lot of other areas in Tulsa that offer similar types of views.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM

67 posts, read 219,782 times
Wow, nice pictures there Synopsis. And sorry that there was a bit of a misunderstanding here. I will continue my look into various neighborhoods in the Tulsa vicinity with the University Club Tower already on my list (love the view). Already it seems that there are a lot of friendly people in the Tulsa area and I hope that is a trend (of course all cities have their bad parts) common around there (seems to be as various cities such as Broken Arrow or Bixby and I think Jenks even have received awards or other recognitions).

Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,446 times
Sorry haven't been on here in a while and just now found this thread. Just about spit up my drink and fell out of my chair when I read the "Mid-town tends to be completely flat with very little trees." comment lol. Yes, its flat compared to South Tulsa and say Denver but its downright mountainous compared to just about anyplace in OKC or Dallas. East Tulsa is very flat. Parts of Bixby and BA are very flat. Parts of Mid-town near downtown and the river are hilly. It just varies from spot to spot. Regardless, mid-town, especially that area called "historic mid-town" has some of the most beautiful spots in this part of the country imho, hilly or not.

Another mid-town home. I guess to some this landscape is practically barren rock with nothing more than the occasional bit of scrub and cacti eking out a meager existence. But I remember my friend from Tucson coming here and thinking mid-town was a lush eden. Depends on your perspective I guess. You decide.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5848/img0983aweblo4.jpg (broken link)

Here is a home near downtown by the river.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/318/gothicmcbirney1by9.jpg (broken link)

Here is part of its backyard. As you may or may not be able to tell, the home is perched on a small hillside overlooking the river valley below. In the distance are the hills on the other side of the river. I know, barren flat and ugly. But I hope you will be able to tolerate such a hideously ugly area. For its pretty much like the area around the University Club Towers if you choose to live there.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2531/gothicmcbirney2webog5.jpg (broken link)

As for the trees, goodness mid-town can practically be jungle like. The trees in my neighborhood at 41st and Yale are quite large. Most of the mid-town neighborhoods are older and the trees are very established. Think about that big white home on the corner of 41st and Lewis with its huge yard and magnificent trees.

But anyway in mid-town or near downtown there arent many "traditional" apartment complexes. You either get something like the University Club Tower, or the small 2 and 3 story buildings that are often older. Now I like those small apartment buildings. One of the tricky things you will run into is that some may not be well kept up, while right next door is one thats great with great tenants. Very hit and miss. There are several clusters of those on 21st near downtown that. might be worth looking into if that sounds interesting. But here again, they are not contemporary at all, more like this little 1920s complex. Though just around the corner is a funky little art-deco apartment building.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8721/simg2362webmy1.jpg (broken link)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/983/simg2364webmi8.jpg (broken link)

A, from what I can tell, decent "typical" apartment complex you might check into is right on the corner of 41st and Riverside to the South. Great cause the trails and river is right there for you to enjoy. Plus a great new park is being finished up there as we speak and the trails from there to downtown have been redone and are woooonderful. Is a great place to rollerblade, bikeride, or walk, by yourself, with friends or a date. Plus right around the corner is Brookside, an up and coming, pedestrian friendly area with its trendy shops, restaurants and night life. Aaand you can hop right on riverside and head south to your job.

Another area you might consider is 71st and Yale to 81st and Yale. 81st and yale has some nice apartments perched up on a hillside. Is a fairly new, very hilly for Tulsa lol, area. That has a nice feel to it and the apartments seem kind of nice, though again they are not "contemporary".

Ooone other location, back to mid-town is Cherry Street. They are squashing in a lot of contemporary homes in the area, but there are some neat little, old timey apartment buildings mixed in. The area has been going through a transition from, not the best, to one of "the" places to be. So the apartment buildings may be a mix of some remnants of the "not the best or hippy nature" crowd and your yuppy yp class. But the area is only going to get better and more desirable as time goes on.

Neat old apartments next to trendy lofts.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/581/img3691webkv7.jpg (broken link)
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6140/img3708webcl9.jpg (broken link)

Unfortunately, to put it bluntly. There arent really any contemporary apartments in Tulsa. There are some new lofts coming on line later this year and next, downtown, plus perhaps a few small places here and there. Most of the contemporary stuff right now are lofts that are for sale, not rent. There are a lot of things just underway or in the planning stages, but with the economy in a tailspin, who knows if they will happen or not. One thing for sure though is that there are NO contemporary apartments in the suburbs. Nore are there really any conemporary homes or lofts that I know of. Riverwalk Phase 2 is supposed to get some... if they actually ever build them.

If ya cant find anything just right from where your at. Get a short lease on some place you think is decent. Then get a feel for the area and get someone, who knows the areas, to show you around. I have shown people around and they see some place and go "oh that looks nice" and I am like "Nooooo, it looks nice, but is a bad crime area" Tulsa can be tricky that way. Looks can be deceiving. Some places may be just the opposite, look like crap, but may be very expensive and desirable lol. Ya just have to know the areas and the particular complex. If your in town before you move and have an apartment. Let me know I will be glad to show you around and give you a quick tour. :-)

Last edited by TulsaArtist; 02-06-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

Yes, TulsaArtist, those scrub brush and cacti have a difficult time in the arid, almost desert like climate in Tulsa...

Especially considering Tulsa receives more annual rainfall than Seattle.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 AM

Oh, here are some more pictures of "treeless Tulsa," the barren, flat, windswept city of the old west.

Yup, no trees here!!!

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-07-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM

67 posts, read 219,782 times
Thanks for the responses again, guys! I really appreciate the informative post from TulsaArtist and appreciate all the pictures contributed from everyone even more. Judging from my pictures, I will state that it is in my opinion that the natural beauty of Tulsa is more than sufficient for my tastes. I would venture to say that it is quite a lot like what I've seen in Tennessee (although the river is more "arid" seeming than say the Tennessee river. Regardless of little nitpicks on what areas might be more lush or just as lush or whatever, the simple answer is I am quite pleased with what I've seen in the pictures (and even from StreetView from Google).

I have a question real quick about one of the pictures:

Is that a sign that says "University Club" in the background? If so, I am guessing that means it is the entrance or near the location of the University Club Tower in Tulsa? Because the area near that particular location looks quite appealing to me.

Also, this area (my guess is the Canyons at Blackjack Ridge) apparently in Sands Springs (is that a decent surburb?):

Do you guys know if there are any apartments or homes in that area that gives a view similar to this? A great view from wherever I live would be rather attractive to me, no matter what style of the apartment to be honest. Typically, if I choose a home/apartment at ground level with very little visibility further than the neighbors, then I would like a contemporary style. However, if I can get a great view, this becomes a bit less necessary (though I still like large windows and at least traditional styling--not old and seemingly rundown). The great view of the University Club is what really appealed to me.

By the way, TulsaArtist, I will try to find those apartments of the locations you provided, but if you have the names of them (or some) as well, it would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 AM

I believe it does say "University Club," which makes sense as the high rise apartment complex is very near to the area in that picture. University Club is in a good area, IMO. Right next to the Riverparks and downtown. The River Parks are awesome.

http://www.riverparks.org/

http://www.riverparks.org/images/myporch.jpg (broken link)

http://www.riverparks.org/Maps/map3.htm (broken link)

The other picture was taken from the South Side of Tulsa. I believe this particular one was taken from Southern Hills Country Club, a very well known golf course which hosted the PGA Championship last year (or was it the year before?).

Other areas around the South side of Tulsa probably would afford similar views as it is rather hilly.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:08 PM

17 posts, read 56,050 times
Yes, compared to Texas, Tulsa probably looks very bountiful, and some pockets do have some nice (be it less dense) trees. To those of us from the East, Tulsa has less trees overall. To each his own as far as perspectives go. Some of these pictures are outdated - my university is located in one of them, and they have torn the majority of those trees down. But, I do think sarcasm plus a Bible verse really lessens the Bible verse's impact. Just my opinion, which I see is easily berated on this particular board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa