Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM

15 posts, read 144,679 times

Advertisements

Sorry that all my threads are like, baby related.. BUT....

I'm having a baby in April. I have to pick a hospital. I have the choice of St. John's or Hillcrest.

Now, if I were in Orange County (CA) I would know exactly which hospital I wanted to go to and which one I wouldnt. As I've been to hospitals or know people who have so I know the good and the bad.

BUT.. I'm in Tulsa.. I barely know anyone and the people I do know have no opinions it seems!

So I thought I would ask here...

Have you had a baby at Hillcrest or St. Johns?? What was the experience like?

or...

Have you been to one of those hospital's in general.. how were you treated, how was it in general?

I've done the hospital tour for St. John so far and I do the Hillcrest one later this week.. but i wanted personal opinions as well to help me in this decision.

I liked St. Johns.. however, I am not religious (or Catholic at that).. and I plan on having a Hypnobirth (No Pain Meds) and I was told a Catholic hospital won't be to keen on that idea (something like they dont believe in hypnosis? Not sure if thats true.)

So help a sista out here.. give me some imput please
Dani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,446 times
I was born at St Johns. I think I turned out ok. ;-P

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Wish I could help.

Only experience we've had with hospitals has been St Johns and that was for breast cancer. Their commitment to women seems very progressive so they may not be as archaic as you think. I would go in and talk to the doctors/nurses there and just see if it feels right. I have no idea what their attitude is towards hypno or any other therapy though.......all my grandkids have been born in Claremore at the Indian Hospital.......

Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
HAHA.. I'll keep that in mind :P teehee.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Wish I could help.
I have no idea what their attitude is towards hypno or any other therapy though.......all my grandkids have been born in Claremore at the Indian Hospital.......
I did the hospital tour at St. John and I was surprised how nice it was and how I didnt have a bad feeling about it.. (I was leaning more towards St. John's till I heard they're not big on hypnobirthing, but they didnt seem too against it when I was there and it was mentioned.. *shrug*) If I can just get past the religious aspect of it, I think it wouldnt be a bad place! haha..

My husband wants me to have the baby at the Indian Hospital.. but *I* am not Indian enough to be covered so its pointless... If HE were having the baby we'd go there HAHA.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM

340 posts, read 1,285,884 times
Both my kids were delivered at Southcrest..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrizzle View Post
Both my kids were delivered at Southcrest..
You Southie...

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post

Ding! There's a reason not to have your child at St. Johns; we all know that TulsaArtist is a real loon... Just kidding of course.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I already had my babies when we moved to Tulsa. I have been a patient at both St. Johns and Hillcrest. I am so glad my husband no longer works for Hillcrest and I will never have to be a patient there again!! They tried really hard to kill me both times. They have no idea how to keep diabetics alive and well. They would give me my insulin at 7 and breakfast at 10. Same with lunch, insulin 2 hours before my meal and then again shot at 6 and dinner at 8. When I told them I felt low on sugar, they refused to test my blood because it wasn't time. It dropped down to 30 at one point and a male nurse came in and started pumpimg glucose in a port in my arm. He said you know it is more critical when you have low blood sugar than high, don't you? I said yes I know, do your people know?

I've only been dealing with this for 52 years!

My doctor was very sick one time. He was actually in the hospital twice. I said I hope you didn't go to Hillcrest. He said he did the first time!

If I ever have to be hospitalized again it will be anywhere but Hillcrest or Tulsa Regional.

I'm prejudiced.............I just had girls!

Good luck with the delivery. God bless too.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I already had my babies when we moved to Tulsa. I have been a patient at both St. Johns and Hillcrest. I am so glad my husband no longer works for Hillcrest and I will never have to be a patient there again!! They tried really hard to kill me both times. They have no idea how to keep diabetics alive and well. They would give me my insulin at 7 and breakfast at 10. Same with lunch, insulin 2 hours before my meal and then again shot at 6 and dinner at 8. When I told them I felt low on sugar, they refused to test my blood because it wasn't time. It dropped down to 30 at one point and a male nurse came in and started pumpimg glucose in a port in my arm. He said you know it is more critical when you have low blood sugar than high, don't you? I said yes I know, do your people know?

I've only been dealing with this for 52 years!

My doctor was very sick one time. He was actually in the hospital twice. I said I hope you didn't go to Hillcrest. He said he did the first time!

If I ever have to be hospitalized again it will be anywhere but Hillcrest or Tulsa Regional.

I'm prejudiced.............I just had girls!

Good luck with the delivery. God bless too.
How could a hospital staff be that ignorant of a widely known condition such as diabetes?

If this is really true, even though I am not diabetic, I'd seriously question this hospital's credibility. But, I have absolutely no knowledge of diabetes, or even if giving insulin prior to meals is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa