Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
People learn better when they trip over things, then dragged to things. Or when they find things on their own!
Well said..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM

95 posts, read 234,481 times
the quality of children’s learning, but I cannot.... After fifty years of research, we have found no significant correlation between the requirements for teacher certification and the quality of student achievement.

Later in his testimony, Dr. Peavey explained that he has found only one valid way of identifying a good teacher:

However, in spite of years of frustration, I am pleased to report to you there has been discovered one valid, legal, honest, professional, common sense way to identify a good teacher. As far as I know there is only one way, and it is about time for legislators to recognize it and write it into school law. It involves a simple process. Step one is to stop looking at the teachers and start looking at the students. Step two is to determine how well students are learning what they are supposed to be learning. The quality of learning provides the only valid measure of the quality of teaching we have yet discovered [emphasis added].

Dr. Peavey concluded his testimony with practical examples of excellent student achievement results by students who were being taught by their parents, most without degrees or certificates. He explained that many studies demonstrate that homeschooled children “commonly score a year or more above their peers in regular schools on standard measures of achievement."

Another expert, Dr, Donald Ericksen, professor of education for the University of California at Los Angeles, stated in a recent interview:

Some of the worst teachers I’ve ever seen are highly certified. Look at our public schools. They’re full of certified teachers. What kind of magic is that accomplishing? But I can take you to the best teachers I’ve ever seen, and most of them are uncertified.... We don’t have evidence at all that what we do in schools of education makes much difference in teacher competence [emphasis added]."

The above referenced material (in bold type) is quoted from The Myth of Teacher Qualifications written by Chris Klicka, Senior Counsel for Home School Legal Defense Association. Read more here The Myth of Teacher Qualifications (HSLDA | National Center Special Report)

“Some of the worst teachers I’ve ever seen are highly certified. Look at our public schools. They’re full of certified teachers. What kind of magic is that accomplishing? But I can take you to the best teachers I’ve ever seen, and most of them are uncertified.... We don’t have evidence at all that what we do in schools of education makes much difference in teacher competence.”
—Dr. Donald Ericksen, UCLA --“The ABC’s of Reform: Give Parents a Choice,” Insight, 24 September 1990, 13.[/quote]

You will notice if you search that the only place Dr. Donald Ericksen is
quoted is in the hslda (home school defense org.) sites. In fact, there
is no Dr. Donald Ericksen at UCLA.
Note that Dr. Peavey does not go so far as to say that all homeschooled
children score above average or above public school children. In other words one could state that amputees run faster than non-amputees. There are some with the help of prosthetic limbs that can outrun the average Joe. Less than 3% of home schoolers take the ACT in Oklahoma and those that do perform well. It would be reasonable to assume that the rest just weren't up to it. 70% of all public high school students take the ACT in Oklahoma and do pretty well on it as a group. If we were to restrict it to the top 3% perhaps we could claim that all Oklahoma public
school students are geniuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa