Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,451 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - World's Deadliest Spider Found in Oklahoma Grocery Store - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,309 times
I heard that on the news this morning. Is someone out to get us???

Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM

55 posts, read 147,087 times
Nobody is out to get us. In fact, the spider that the guy at T.U. misidentified is actually a Huntsman spider and poses absolutely no threat to people. Unfortunately that same guy killed it and disposed of it before someone who actually knows something had a chance to examine it. But he got his 15 minutes of fame I guess.

Addition :
I just received an email about this article. It sums it up pretty well I think.
See here.

Last edited by OkieWolf; 03-20-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
One of the hazards of buying produce from other parts of the world, poisonous or not. I knew someone maybe 30+ years ago who died of sleeping sickness in rural Alaska. She thought she had a mild cold or a touch of the flu, so she simply took some aspirin and went to bed to sleep it away. She slipped into a coma, and the next morning her busband woke up next to her body. That was one of three cases at the time in the state, and it was widely believed the insects responsible came in on a shipment of fresh produce. But it wasn't just traumatic for her husband, both of her children grew up without a mother - the youngest was only a few weeks old when she died.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieWolf View Post
Nobody is out to get us. In fact, the spider that the guy at T.U. misidentified is actually a Huntsman spider and poses absolutely no threat to people. Unfortunately that same guy killed it and disposed of it before someone who actually knows something had a chance to examine it. But he got his 15 minutes of fame I guess.

Addition :
I just received an email about this article. It sums it up pretty well I think.
See here.

I just read that article as well... the guy was a bonehead to destroy it that way! He could have just as easily stuck the jar into the freezer or something to keep the body intact.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Uhhhh, bonehead is being nice. On other posts on arachnology and entomological sites I wasn't so nice.

The guy had no business going on tv and claiming that the spider was anything other than a spider. He has no expertise and/or credentials to be making any claims of any kind with such critters. But, the "lime light" brings out all kinds and if someone is willing to say on tv that this critter is "the worlds most deadly spider and is in Tulsa", then the media jumps on that like thigh fat on a Dixie Chick.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieWolf View Post
Uhhhh, bonehead is being nice. On other posts on arachnology and entomological sites I wasn't so nice.

The guy had no business going on tv and claiming that the spider was anything other than a spider. He has no expertise and/or credentials to be making any claims of any kind with such critters. But, the "lime light" brings out all kinds and if someone is willing to say on tv that this critter is "the worlds most deadly spider and is in Tulsa", then the media jumps on that like thigh fat on a Dixie Chick.
If I called him what he deserved I would have to give myself an infraction... I agree completely and I think he destroyed it on purpose, so no one could question his "identification". I can't think of ANY other reason that someone with any kind of scientific (or animal) background would destroy a specimen like that.

For all we know now, it may have just been one of our local "Wolfies" and somebody panicked.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM

Yes!! Exactly!!

Finally people are starting to get it! And finally people are starting to be sensible!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,448 times
It was a poor showing by TU overall.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 AM

288 posts, read 917,763 times
[English major rears ugly head] The absolute hilarious thing is how many people ever referred to the spider as "poisonous". It could have been "venomous", but I don't think too many people go around EATING or touching spiders and getting poisoned by them. Now, getting BITTEN by them and getting sick from venom that gets injected into their bodies (the human bodies, not the spider bodies....that's another story. [/ugly head hides again]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: