Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM

29 posts, read 139,972 times

Advertisements

My inlaws will be visitng soon. They are in early 60's and I have only lived in Tulsa for 9 months. He is a car-buff and likes 'old fashioned' things...like diners. Anywhere I need to take him in and around Tulsa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Since when is early 60's old???

Try Claremore.......Will Rogers Museum.

Oklahoma Museums Forts and Historical Sites Across the State

Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtown View Post
My inlaws will be visitng soon. They are in early 60's and I have only lived in Tulsa for 9 months. He is a car-buff and likes 'old fashioned' things...like diners. Anywhere I need to take him in and around Tulsa?
//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...und-tulsa.html

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
If they have to see a few cars and hot rods and custom cars are their thing, try Daryl Starbird's Rod & Custom Car Museum (http://www.grandlakechamber.org/pgs/starbird.htm - broken link)

Quote:
The National Rod & Custom Car Hall of Fame Museum is located on Highway 85A an hour northeast of Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Grand Lake 'O The Cherokees. The 40,000 square foot facility houses over 40 custom built exotic vehicles by world renowned custom car builder and designer Darryl Starbird as well as many other famous hot rod and custom car builders. Every square inch of the wall and space is full of photos and memorabilia of famous custom built vehicles including street rods, nostalgic custom cars, vans, pickups, sports cars and experimental bubble topped concept looking vehicles of the future. Many of the vehicles are priceless in value, having a historic significance as well as demonstrating thousands of hours of labor and ingenuity of design and workmanship.
Recognized as the first and only National Rod & Custom Car Hall of Fame, it honors the individuals that have created thousands of these types of vehicles since the early fifties. Each year in June an Anniversary Celebration is held inducting two more custom & rod builders in conjunction with an outdoor car show and buffalo feast by the lake.
Open Wednesday - Saturday 11a.m. - 5 p.m. (March - October)
I would call before I drove up there, but it is a cool place to visit.

also have them go by the JM Davis Gun Museum in Claremore, the Will Rogers Memorial in Claremore, Philbrook in Tulsa, Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Check the Expo Square EXPO SQUARE - Tulsa, Oklahoma (http://www.exposquare.com/ns/Calendar/calendar.asp - broken link) for what is happening there during their stay.....they have a full calendar with horse shows, cowboy action competitions, etc as well as "normal" recreational stuff. You might also check out Cains to see what concerts they are offering. You may luck out and be able to see new and old stars Concerts :: Live Music :: Tulsa, OK :: Cain's Ballroom Fleetwood Mac is going to be at the BOK Center on May 3rd, so check out their schedule BOK Center

One last thing to remember.....chances are, if they liked Tulsa all that much they would have been here to visit before this. they are here to see you. Make sure you make time for them to get reaquainted.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
OldTimers?????

We enjoyed the Gilcrease Museum and I wish we'd have made it to Philbrook. Also, the aquarium in Jenks is nice. They may just like to check out the architecture~ask them if they'd enjoy the Boston Methodist Church. Old people like parks so you may want to take them along the River Parks.

Also, isn't there a very nice antique museum over by Grove?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 AM

100 posts, read 267,284 times
go to sonic on peoria saturday afternoon and then cross the street to webbers plenty of cars and good old fashioned root beer thats sonic in brookside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa