Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 35,277 times

Advertisements

Hi Group:

This is my first post, forgive me if this is a repeat topic. I am interested in moving to Tulsa, but may have to resort to living in public housing until I am on my feet. I am not familiar with the areas these apartments are in.

Would anyone mind giving a general overview of any of the locations posted below? I am especially interested in knowing about public transportation/shopping/general neighborhood information, accessibility to downtown. Info on any other public housing complexes in Tulsa would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Here are the some addresses:
2402 north marion 74115 (apache manor complex)
3608 north quaker 74106 (comanche park)
1818 north rockford 741106 (whitley townhomes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I don't currently live in Tulsa, but I have in years past. Unless these have changed GREATLY I will tell you my opinion would be, "There is no way in the world I would reside in any of those complexes". Now, they might have gotten better, security wise, but.... Sorry just not for me.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Given a choice, I would not live in public housing. I am not sure you can get into it anyway without a substantial waiting perior....I could easily be wrong though.

I don't know enough about your situation to provide any kind of constructive advice, but if you are moving here with a family, I think I would come first, leaving the family with extended family or friends and get established somewhat. There are several places to get jobs in the $10-$12 range, many offering substantial overtime. (Try Dish Network or Directv as a CSR) Both companies have nearby apartments complexes that are affordable and safe. It shouldn't take a few weeks of work to get to the point where you can afford something other than public housing.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 35,277 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,024 times
Onthemove73,
I'm sending you some information.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM

100 posts, read 267,164 times
in recent years the crime rate in public housing is less than surounding areas tulsa has some pretty good public housing,however the background checks are very tuff to pass

Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 25,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove73 View Post
Hi Group:

This is my first post, forgive me if this is a repeat topic. I am interested in moving to Tulsa, but may have to resort to living in public housing until I am on my feet. I am not familiar with the areas these apartments are in.

Would anyone mind giving a general overview of any of the locations posted below? I am especially interested in knowing about public transportation/shopping/general neighborhood information, accessibility to downtown. Info on any other public housing complexes in Tulsa would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Here are the some addresses:
2402 north marion 74115 (apache manor complex)
3608 north quaker 74106 (comanche park)
1818 north rockford 741106 (whitley townhomes)

Apache Manor Complex and Comanche Park Are not cool Apts to move in (High crime rates there and most likely any apts out North Tulsa), I have never heard of Whitley Townhomes.
What I would suggest is RiverBank Apartments or Pecan Creek Apts. Both Apartments have near by grocery stores and shopping centers in the area. And in a pretty good area. And these days their arent to many great areas anywhere. But Pray and seek God on where you need to be and he will open a door where you should be. And wherever that is He will be your strength through whatever the situation.
God Bless you

Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Given a choice, I would not live in public housing. I am not sure you can get into it anyway without a substantial waiting perior....I could easily be wrong though.

I don't know enough about your situation to provide any kind of constructive advice, but if you are moving here with a family, I think I would come first, leaving the family with extended family or friends and get established somewhat. There are several places to get jobs in the $10-$12 range, many offering substantial overtime. (Try Dish Network or Directv as a CSR) Both companies have nearby apartments complexes that are affordable and safe. It shouldn't take a few weeks of work to get to the point where you can afford something other than public housing.
I wouldnt discourage this person not to take on what they can til they get on their feet...It's okay to be on housing assistants as long as you dont plan to stay on housing. And as far as the Job thing goes, I have applied with both jobs and have come up short> Direct TV and DishNetwork. Not saying they wont hire you, but the hiring rate at this time is kind of slim. So it is best right now to get some assistants til the right thing come along. It will help in the long run.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarjae View Post
in recent years the crime rate in public housing is less than surounding areas tulsa has some pretty good public housing,however the background checks are very tuff to pass
That is very well true, I didnt think of that. But still be careful about some of the places out in North Tulsa (Apartment Complexs). Otherwise there are some very nice areas in North Tulsa, but i would suggest many of the Apartment out there.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,420 times
what are the names of public housing apartment complexes around Tulsa? i just got approved for a two bedroom! can i get a house instead of an apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: