Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:53 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times

Advertisements

Very strange - someone has a beef and has not been able to make him or herself happy here, and it's a shame they are trying to negatively influence you in such a direct and sneaky manner.

There are a lot of conservative christians here. We also have one of the largest, if not the largest Unitarian Universalist congregations in the nation, which tells you there is a pretty strong liberal faction as well.

Plenty of room for everyone, regardless.

As for tornadoes - well, that's like saying don't move to Hawaii because the volcanos might erupt. I've lived here for 14 years and have never experienced a tornado directly (although I witnessed the devastation in Moore in 1999. There were about 20 fatalities, but that was a once in a lifetime thing.) The weather folks get reeeeaaaallllly worked up about conditions that can lead to a tornado and will set off the sirens at the drop of a hat. We all joke about it, but it's a comforting thing that they are so alert.

I'm sure you know the saying, "Bloom where you're planted," etc. Tulsa is a lovely town. It will be very different from where you've lived in the past -- but it also has much to offer.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 AM

56 posts, read 179,394 times
Brookside: It's good that you made the statement about "20 deaths in 1999" as someone previously said there had only been 3 deaths in 57 years. I agree that tornaodes do not kill lots of people, but "three" was a bit TOO conservative a number I thought. (remembering back to 1999 myself)

Yes, OK is a Christian Conservative place...I've never seen that as a "negative"....hmmm.....
That's not to say that 100% of the people are Christian and Conservative, but that is what you will find the bulk of people to be. It's part of the reason that the crime rate is so low and you CAN leave your door unlocked or a child's bicycle in the front yard without fear that it will be "missing" the next morning. That's not to say that crime never happens (that would be a dumb statement) but you don't live in FEAR all the time.

Tulsa is a great place!!! I've lived in the area (suburb) for 20+ years. We're looking at having to move and it's really been hard on me. I'm trying to be positive about leaving "my state" but it's not easy!!

Tornadoes happen in this part of the country, but they don't happen on a daily basis...they don't happen on a weekly basis...they don't happen on a yearly basis in the same area. Just like those who deal with hurricanes or earthquakes, you learn the safety precautions and you take them. You learn what to do and be prepared from April to July each year. We will usually have 1-2 nights per year when we keep the news on and clear out the closet under the stairs in case we need it. Often we just watch the weather report, then put the stuff back in the closet and go back to bed. Occaisionally we get pillows and sit in the closet for 15-20 mintues, THEN put the stuff back in it and go back to bed. (ha!!) I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life (except for a breif 8 yr stint in Texas as a child) and I've only seen one tornado "face to face" in my life... (that's one in 43 years) The rest, I've only seen on Television and news reports...they happened to "someone else" in "someone else's" city/town. It's just not something you deal with on a regular basis.

I guess if I were moving to California or Florida, I would have the same fears about hurricanes or earthquakes as the OP had about tornadoes and ask the same types of questions...and I imagine I would get the same type or response..."It's not that big of a deal. Just learn what to do and go on living your life and don't worry about it."

Welcome to "my state". I hope you learn to love it as much as I do...enjoy it a bit for me, OK.... as I'm probably going to be leaving before long... sob sob!!!
Hey, I may have a house for sale in the next couple of months.... interested??? ha!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
I can't imagine that some are so concerned about the religious or political affiliations of their neighbors. People are just people and if you want to get to know them, all that stuff won't matter.

You'll be fine in Owasso. Yeah, there's always the possibility of a tornado, but that's true just about anywhere. You're more likely to get hit by a major ice storm, which will do a heckuva lot more damage, and if that happens, those "Christian conservative" neighbors will turn out to help, right alongside their more liberal and Democratic friends.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
First thing about tornados I discovered was that there is warning. Yeah, I've heard not always but then there is NEVER warning for an earthquake. I remember all the major quakes very well even if none of them were near enough to cause damage. I was in Kansas at a convention running regrestration. Not that many people, but the emergency guy kept telling me to get word to our security guy if they decided we should evacuate. Outside it was pouring, thundering and lightening and then started to hail. Of course, being staff and in charge of the cash box I couldn't look nervous. So I decided not to be. We were very very close once, I knew because the storm chaser who was at the con was going over maps next to me. Had the cashbox in my backpack ready to leave. It finally stopped raining but we had a near miss.

Did this stop me from moving to Oklahoma? naw...

The Christian Conservatives... I'm wiccan and in Riverside in socal several times people felt they had to pray for me to be saved. The wiccan community there is pretty much underground because of harrassment. My necklace is quite visible, but nobody has seen it as necessary to try to save me. So far, based on my small sampling, I'd say here is much more allowing than Riverside.

LOL the two things people always said when I told them where I was going to move were why would you want to move there and ..you know they have tornados. I read the California forum and there are people asking where there are fewer earthquakes. Every place has its problem. But I think the overriding attitude that you do what you can and go on with life is pretty much the same everywhere too. People in California don't get up worrying if there will be a quake today either.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Raelynn, I agree with Lindsey's advice. I know you're doing this all via internet and your DH has a job/transfer. You've investigated things so thoroughly, but I honestly think you should visit there before you finalize your move. It could give you peace of mind that you're making the right choice, but it could also save you a lot of heartache and money if Ok really isn't for you.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,386 times
Default Owasso's Ok with Me.

I've lived in Owasso for 12 plus yrs now and still like it a lot. Don't let this person bring you down. Owasso is a good community. As for ultra conserative, well everyone is entiteled to thier own oppinion. We do serve liquor in our resturaunts, even on sundays so it's not as consev. as some other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa