Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,488,034 times

Advertisements

TULSA OKLAHOMA Is The 7Th Strongest Metropolitan Area In The
United States of America , and the victories just keep on rolling in
(Like)The Completion Of The BOK World Class Arena The cain's Ballroom
Rated As A World Class Venue And The Near Completion Of The
Downtown TULSA Baseball Park CONGRAT'S TULSA On A Job Well
Done.......

BusinessWeek Mag Web Link.............

Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Employment and Economic Muscle - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
That is wonderful news and thank you, Howest, for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

OK. Just checked out the article. I saw the criteria they used for making their determinations, but I've got to say that I'm surprised at some of the cities selected. Their unemployment rates in June were already at 10% and they're much higher now.

Last edited by Jammie; 10-30-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM

79 posts, read 97,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
TULSA OKLAHOMA Is The 7Th Strongest Metropolitan Area In The
United States of America , and the victories just keep on rolling in
(Like)The Completion Of The BOK World Class Arena The cain's Ballroom
Rated As A World Class Venue And The Near Completion Of The
Downtown TULSA Baseball Park CONGRAT'S TULSA On A Job Well
Done.......

BusinessWeek Mag Web Link.............

Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Employment and Economic Muscle - BusinessWeek
Either Business Week or the Tulsa World is not presenting accurate information. If the Tulsa area economy is so strong why are the tax revenues DECLINING? I'm open to a reasonable explanation.

Tulsa World: Area cities dealing with declining sales-tax revenue

Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Default People Aren't Shopping..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderman View Post
Either Business Week or the Tulsa World is not presenting accurate information. If the Tulsa area economy is so strong why are the tax revenues DECLINING? I'm open to a reasonable explanation.

Tulsa World: Area cities dealing with declining sales-tax revenue
People aren't shopping until they drop in the TULSA METRO Area..

Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,910,910 times
Quote:
People aren't shopping until they drop in the TULSA METRO Area..
Actually, Howest, a lot of shopping goes on in other city districts. Much of the new shopping such as the area at 86th and 169 and the Bass Pro Shop are in Owasso or Broken Arrow. A lot of sales are taking place at Wal-Marts in Broken Arrow, Glenpool, Sand Springs, Owasso, Skiatook, and Sand Springs.

Along with that dilution, nationwide we have a mild crisis of confidence. People do not spend money if they are scared they may not have a job some time in the near future. That lack of confidence has penetrated the Tulsa psyche. The middle class is simply not willing to spend the way they used to. Although the economy is strong here, the citizens here hear how terrible it is nationwide (too much FOX/MSNBC/CNN) so they have lost a lot of confidence in the economy. Now that it appears we have avoided a depression and are close to bottoming out in the current recession (arguably the worse we have seen since 1929) people are beginning to redevelop confidence again.

In a few months I think the second wave of foreclosures is going to hit the national economy, so I don't expect the nation as a whole to begin significant recovery untl late next year or possibly 2011. The one thing that is going for us, is that the administration, having dealt with the current crisis in a proactive manner should be on top of the next wave of bank failures. At least many of the proposed regulations will hold the various corporate leaders accountable....and their very accountability will do a lot to prevent some collapsing.

but don't expect significantly increased confidence for another year. That means that although the overall Oklahoma economy is looking pretty good, particularly when compared to the rest of the nations economy, we won't see tax revenues climbing any time soon.......probably not within the next 12 months,

Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Default If I'm Going Thur A Rain Storm I Want To Ride It Out In A House

San Antonio Is AMERICA Strongest Economy Austin Is Second
and OklahomaCity Is Third and Last But Not Least TULSA OKLAHOMA
Is 7Th..if I have to go thur the (Great Flood of Noah) I want a (ARK)
and if I Have To Go Thur A Violent Thunder Storm I want shelter
in a WELL BUILT HOUSE....Tulsa and OKC are doing extremely
well , is anybody else reading between the lines.

CALIFORNIA Two Alpha World Class Cities Los Angeles and San Francisco
have dropped out of the ALPHA Ranking down into the Beta Ranking
because of the Great Mini Depression out here in California...They
Will Raise Again To ALPHA Cities RANK , but if you have something
to be thankful about....Be THANKFUL....my current hometown of
VALLEJO, CA is the largest city in California To Ever Go BANKRUPT
and you don't hear me "whinning" Oh Didn't New York City ONCE
Go BANKRUPT and look at the robust recovery that NYC is in now.
In A Free Market Economy What Goes UP MUST COME DOWN....
if you aren't having it that BAD GIVE TULSA SOME CREDIT...Will
YA.......

Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM

One thing we have to remember is that the article is from June and things have changed throughout the country even in such a short time.

I don't believe Tulsa has slid much, but I believe most of the cities listed have gone downhill a bit since the article was written. There will eventually be a turnaround all over, but I do know that the unemployment stats, for one thing, have changed a bit since June.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Default I Wonder If TULSA Has Gained Ground In THe Survey.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
One thing we have to remember is that the article is from June and things have changed throughout the country even in such a short time.

I don't believe Tulsa has slid much, but I believe most of the cities listed have gone downhill a bit since the article was written. There will eventually be a turnaround all over, but I do know that the unemployment stats, for one thing, have changed a bit since June.

I really wonder if TULSA has gained ground or loss ground in
this survey of economic powerhouses...jumped ahead of some
cities or fallen behind some of the the cities......that would be
a very interesting piece of information.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I really wonder if TULSA has gained ground or loss ground in
this survey of economic powerhouses...jumped ahead of some
cities or fallen behind some of the the cities......that would be
a very interesting piece of information.
Well, the article has the unemployment rate at 6 something and the most recent articles show it at 7.1%. But I can't imagine that many of the other cities listed haven't had similar problems.

I do know that I read that the Austin/Round Rock area isn't doing as great as it was previously and I believe they were ranked higher then Tulsa when the article was written.

I doubt that Tulsa will suffer a lot with foreclosures or drops in real estate since there was no tremendous hike within the past few years. One area of the country that I had been following was Fla. In 2004 a house may have had a value of 75,000 and overnight it was suddenly worth 250,000. Too many people bought and that's why they're upside down in their mortgages, have astronomical real estate taxes, and high insurance costs. And remember that at that time, EVERYONE qualified for a loan. Just the lack of foreclosures alone should help some areas of the country bounce back faster then others and that would include Tulsa and OKC.

But you're right~it'd be interesting to see their latest rankings. Wonder when their next ratings come out.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM

234 posts, read 715,136 times
Is Alaska on that list? It should be! The economy up here always stays strong, never seems to be affected. There are plenty of jobs in Anchorage right now. Too bad it's so cold here!!! I am likely moving to Tulsa or Austin soon because I can't seem to find jobs anywhere else. My home is in Oregon but there are absolutely NO jobs there right now!

Thanks for the info! It makes sense now that most job offers I've had have come from Texas or somewhere around that part of the country. Good bye pacific northwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa