Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,489,981 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research and was wondering if some of you could help me out. I am wondering why there seems to be less crime in Broken Arrow than Tulsa since we are next door to each other. I just want a personal view I have all the stats I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 AM

265 posts, read 897,985 times
The police department is well-staffed and pro-active. I notice police cars on the streets as I am driving around town. I would guess that has an affect. No place is safe from crime. Broken Arrow is also separated from Tulsa's north side where much of the violent crime occurs. I have lived in Broken Arrow my whole life and have always felt safe here. Broken Arrow is all around a great community - especially for families. Thanks for your inquiry and research.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM

258 posts, read 1,009,388 times
Demographics.

Broken arrow doesnt have the scale and kind of history and areas of "generational poverty/crime". Its mostly a new suburb in comparison to Tulsa. You can look at the new "or wealthy" areas of Tulsa and see that they also dont have as much crime. It also doesnt have as many low income housing/apartment complexes. However, I have heard that they have a lot of drug use/meth lab type problems.

Over time this may change as what were once new neighborhoods full of upwardly mobile, young families, start to age and become less desirable, and the demographics change in those areas. In many parts of the country, what you have seen is a pattern of... Beginning vibrant core of city, people move to the suburbs and core dies. Crime concentrates in core, less crime in outlying areas,,,,then core begins to revitalize and become more expensive and desirable, many outlying areas/suburbs become places of higher crime.

I remember when I was a kid what were considered to be the suburban neighborhoods, good schools, etc. within Tulsa were low crime, "the" places to be. This was before the new growth reached out as far as Broken Arrow. Now those neighborhoods and schools are older, out of fashion, more run down and poor, the schools "same schools, programs, and often many of the same teachers etc." are not as good.... because the demographics have changed. Had nothing to do with the amount of cops or the teachers/schools. Its the demographics. People who are upwardly mobile and moving to new neighborhoods are a different demographic than those moving into poor, run down neighbhorhoods. The "upwardly mobile" folk moved on up to the next bigger house on the ladder, and or the kids moved on and there are now older people who didnt continue to move up (who dont need to buy as much as the new family did, they are not buying new furniture, dishes, decor, childrens clothes, as much food for a large young family, etc.) so the stores nearby dont have as much business and then move on to the next cluster of new neighborhoods "following the money" etc. etc.

Its interesting to look at the effects that the ebb and flow of money and demographics have on areas and the general patterns that often emerge. There are always exceptions, but you can usually, fairly easily spot, the reasons for them.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks TulsaArtist and BAGuy that's just the information I was looking for. You guys are great

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,423 times
Tookey, I read your post from last year about Call center jobs...I was just wondering if you found a job yet...I will be relocating to Tulsa from Wichita. I have over 10 years of call center experience and I am having a tough time getting any kind of response.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,274,001 times
Tookey, that's a great question. I've been wondering the same thing ever since the news story of the Tulsa police lay-off was posted. The burbs do have low crime and BA looks very safe.

I'm just curious though~the shift in demographics and those who move into less desireable areas making them more crime-ridden~Artist, would you say that it's people from other areas of the country? People from other countries?

Could there be anything else involved? Do both Tulsa and BA have neighborhood watch programs?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Tookey, that's a great question. I've been wondering the same thing ever since the news story of the Tulsa police lay-off was posted. The burbs do have low crime and BA looks very safe.

I'm just curious though~the shift in demographics and those who move into less desireable areas making them more crime-ridden~Artist, would you say that it's people from other areas of the country? People from other countries?

Could there be anything else involved? Do both Tulsa and BA have neighborhood watch programs?
Jammie I will answer for Tulsa there are quite a few neighborhood watch programs throughout the city. I think however that in neighborhoods where the neighbors are familiar with each other they do more good than say a neighborhood where the residents really don't congregate or know each other. Also I think that people from other countries do tend to move into areas with others of like cultures and ethenticities (I may have sp that wrong). This can be a cause of more crime in those areas. I would be interested in what Artist has to say though to get a differant perspective.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules0128 View Post
Tookey, I read your post from last year about Call center jobs...I was just wondering if you found a job yet...I will be relocating to Tulsa from Wichita. I have over 10 years of call center experience and I am having a tough time getting any kind of response.
Jules I sent you a dm I will be glad to privately discuss the call center issue with you.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 PM

265 posts, read 897,985 times
There are neighborhood watch programs in BA. I would suspect the same for many neighborhoods in Tulsa. There are some good homeowners associations in BA too that help make strong neighborhoods.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,274,001 times
Tookey, I know we talked about this, but I still found it ironic.

News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

How cool that our cops spotted this gal.

I thought about this news story tonight because "Cops" had one of their segments in B.A. It kind of shocked me since it looks like it's a very low crime area. At least I got to see some of the scenery though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa