Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 AM

304 posts, read 888,391 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah - and animals in need!

The SPCA and animal rescue groups love your old towels, blankets, pillows, etc. Anything that can be used in transporting, cleaning, and housing homeless animals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
We donate to Goodwill. We like what they do for the community and I'm happy to help. I understand that they need money to do what they do.

I agree with Goodwill being a good one.

FROM Goodwill Industries International, Inc. » FAQs:
Goodwill Stores are linked to a great cause — about 84 percent of Goodwill’s revenues go directly into employment and training programs for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment! For-profit thrift stores sometimes arrange to use a charity’s name to collect donations in exchange for a flat fee or a percentage of the revenue. Often this deal is not generally publicized, and the percentage that charity actually makes may be less than 5 cents for every dollar spent. Make your donations wisely!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
The Goodwill around the OKC area was terrible! They have fired some people, so I don't know how things are going now, (I'm a volunteer to different charities, but, taking a break, currently) but, as you probably know, they get new items donated to them also. The new items would go to the main store (Downtown OKC) first, and they would inventory the items, send them on to the Goodwill stores, and before they could get there, the people in the office would call that store, and tell them to put back the items they wanted. Also, the people who managed some of the stores would put back items they wanted. Thats why the stores I knew of, the managers were the ones who looked the stuff over first. After they were done, the employees would get their pick, and what was left, goes on the floor!

Also, at one of the stores, the manager really got bold, after working there a few years, she started going to the store she managed, long after closing time, with pick ups, and was stealing lots of things, large tvs, stereos, etc. I don't know what she did with all of that, probably sold it, but she was fired. I don't know why she wasn't prosecuted. These charities do not want any negative publicity (as anyone doesn't.) so these situations hardly ever come out. I won't give them anything after this, until they get their situation cleaned up. The thing is, you don't know the extent of thievery that goes on in charities.

You can't always go by the ratings either. I remember when Feed The Children got a great rating, and one of the worst ratings in the same year by different rating companies. I worked there also, and can't wait for someone to write the book on that company. This is one of the best things thats ever happened to Feed The Children: NewsOK

Old 12-02-2009, 03:03 PM

We had heard the stories about Goodwill and Salvation Army in Tulsa, too. Some of the best places to buy antiques were from dealers who worked at/managed those places...and had antiques booths somewhere. Remember the little Goodwill bookstore downtown... had collectibles, jewelry, purses and nice things....that was one of the places where a couple of them worked and sold lots of really great antiques at a mall. Maybe it was a coincidence.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 PM

The American Institute of Philanthropy, a leading charity watchdog, issued a report card this month for 29 veterans and military charities. Letter grades were based largely on the charities' fundraising costs and the percentage of money raised that was spent on charitable activities:

http://justplainbill.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/veterans-charities-rated-by-wash-post/

Last edited by OneDayAttaTime; 12-13-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 PM

What is OK to say to a Telemarketer?

The Federal Trade Commission recommends saying:
  • "Please Put me on your 'no call' list."
  • Or "I am reporting you to the Do Not Call violation line."
  • Or "I am reporting you to the State Attorney General."
  • You can even say "Get lost, Creep."
What To Say, What Not To Say To A Telemarketer | KJRH.com

P.S. It has been said that the rules for determining overhead costs are vague and every charity interprets them differently. It is estimated that 75% of charities calculate their overhead ratio incorrectly.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 AM

charitywatch.org Veterans Deserve Better from Charities

A number of AIP F rated veterans charities return most of the money raised to their professional fundraiser. It's a shame that groups such as American Veterans Relief Foundation, American Ex-Prisoners of War Service Foundation and Vietnow National Headquarters dishonor America's brave veterans by using over 80% of the money raised on their behalf to pay fundraising expenses. More charities need to adopt a policy to not enter into costly arrangements with for-profit operations.

Many of the major veterans groups are chartered by acts of the U.S. Congress, including American Ex-Prisoners of War, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Jewish War Veterans of the USA, Paralyzed Veterans of America and Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. Does congressional charter status mean that the U.S. government approves these groups' activities and provides oversight? No, according to a 2004 report by the Congressional Research Service, which also stated that Congress has never yanked a charity's charter status. Congressman Barney Frank called charters "... 'a nuisance,' a meaningless act. Granting charters implied that Congress was exercising some sort of supervision over the groups and it wasn't..." as cited in a 1992 article from the Washington Post.

Another slap in the face to our veterans comes from a couple who during this past Memorial Day weekend were allegedly posing as military reservists to sell raffle tickets at stores in DuPage County, Illinois to raise money for Navy/Marine Relief Fundraiser — a nonexistent charity. As announced in a press release by the County Sheriff, the couple was charged with "felony Theft by Deception and False Impersonation of Charitable Organization."

__________________________________________________ ____________
Be very careful of anyone who phones claiming to be collecting for Veterans groups, the hungry or needy for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Jaycees, the police, fire, sheriff, family and children's services, the blind, cerebral palsy, Am-Vets, etc!!

Many of them are professional fundraisers who may be raising funds for a certain group but remember they certainly are NOT working for free. They charge the group for "office expenses" which can mean for every employee in their office, the rent on the bldg, all utilities, computers, etc. Then the charity gets the tiny bit left over to give tothe charity which may then take out expenses for their employees before spending a dime on what you were told they were raising funds for. ALWAYS ASK IF THEY ARE EMPLOYED BY THE GROUP OR IF THEY WORK FOR THE GROUP THAT RAISES FUNDS.

Many of these callers have campaigns where they raise funds for a group during a certain time period, then move on to the next campaign. If you have ever given to one who has called you on the phone...you have to agree these professional fundraisers are good at getting money out of people!

Remember, just because a group directs you to their website does not mean they are legitimate. It means they have a website, ok? Watch for the groups

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,933 times
well first of all I work for a fundraising company who charges our clients per call rather then a percentage. First of all lets say the day of volunteering is just about over. That was the WW2 era, thank God for them. In the day of do not call lists, registering in certian states for fundraising and all, volunteering is just not practical nor realistic. But second if an organization decides to buy 500 names called at of simple purposes $2.00 each thats 1,000 for calling 500 names. Say the average is $10.00 some give, some don't and some give more. But 10.00 x 500 is $5,000so they paid our company 1,000 and recieved 5,000 the return is 4,000. Now keep in mind the cost per call is a one time charge in most cases and it includes mailing, long distance calling etc. Not only does is it a method to remind doners to give, but also keeps the charity's name in front of the people. Actually done right it is an very effective way to raise money for the organization. Our company has a great name is used by very reputable organizations.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaller View Post
if an organization decides to buy 500 names called at of simple purposes $2.00 each thats 1,000 for calling 500 names. Say the average is $10.00 some give, some don't and some give more. But 10.00 x 500 is $5,000so they paid our company 1,000 and recieved 5,000 the return is 4,000. Now keep in mind the cost per call is a one time charge in most cases and it includes mailing, long distance calling etc. Not only does is it a method to remind doners to give, but also keeps the charity's name in front of the people. Actually done right it is an very effective way to raise money for the organization. Our company has a great name is used by very reputable organizations.

Although you said the figure of "$2 paid for each call made" was "for simple purposes" I'd be interested in knowing what your company actually charges per call. Even if you had several people calling it would still take a few days to make 500 calls. You said the money paid to your company includes mailing. long distance calling etc. Wow...That doesn't leave a whole lot for salaries for those who work the phones and all the staff. Would you mind sharing the name of the company? I would be interested in knowing what company charges only 20% when many of these companies are keeping up to 80% for their share.

Are you in management for your company where you would know the true percentage?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaller View Post
if an organization decides to buy 500 names called at of simple purposes $2.00 each thats 1,000 for calling 500 names. Say the average is $10.00 some give, some don't and some give more. But 10.00 x 500 is $5,000so they paid our company 1,000 and recieved 5,000 the return is 4,000. Now keep in mind the cost per call is a one time charge in most cases and it includes mailing, long distance calling etc. Not only does is it a method to remind doners to give, but also keeps the charity's name in front of the people. Actually done right it is an very effective way to raise money for the organization. Our company has a great name is used by very reputable organizations.

Although you said the figure of "$2 paid for each call made" was "for simple purposes" I'd be interested in knowing what your company actually charges per call. Even if you had several people calling it would still take a few days to make 500 calls. You said the money paid to your company includes mailing, long distance calling etc. Based on the numbers you gave (your company only keeps 20%)it doesn't leave a whole lot for salaries for not only those who work the phones but also for the staff.

Would you mind sharing the name of the company you work for? It would be interesting to know what company charges only 20% when many of these telemarketing companies are keeping up to 80% for their share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa