Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM

76 posts, read 274,699 times

Advertisements

I got one of these calls the other day and since this thread was fresh in my mind, I asked them if they were just middlemen. All I got as a response was a "click".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:52 PM

40 posts, read 103,709 times
I managed a Thrift store here in Tulsa back in the 90's to find to suprise how much actual each of the sales goes to the non-profit organization,, it was a penny to the dollar. So next time you want to donate your clothing to a thrift store,, think again,, its usual going to the owners of the business. and for your info,, the ones on Admiral use to be owned by 2 brothers that were banking off your clothing, so think again.. If you want somewhere to donate ur used items think of domestic shelters, or churches that hand out clothing to the needy. Why give to someone who can make a dollar off your clothing that you paid for and you arent receiving any cash for them? Think again..
Also, John 3:16 downtown does give their men clothes to the shelter of those men that are trying to rebuild themselves, also Steve W. director of John 3:16 is a honest man of his word and helps ppl in the need. They also help families of homeless, so please dont worry bout donating to save on ur taxes, give to those that are in need. Just my opinion from my experience.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM

9 posts, read 19,874 times
If you donate to any non-profit outfit, you should get a tax receipt. Otherwise, they are not really non-profit. And many so-called "thrift" stores are regular, for-profit stores. They don't hire the disabled or provide any services to the needy, they don't collect donations (although there may be a non-profit drop box at their door), and they don't claim non-profit status. They buy in bulk from several small non-profit organizations who do the collecting but don't want the hassle of running a retail business, dress the place up to look like Goodwill, and sell good, pre-owned clothes to customers who like the bargain prices. It's a win-win-win arrangement.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,319,705 times
Giving to charities can be dicey, no doubt about it. I have both a cell and a land line and both are on the national do not call registry. I got a call once from a telemarketer and when I complained, the person on the other end said their company had moved to Canada, so the do not call didn't apply to them. I never answer my land line, in fact, no one even has the number - I just use it to make occasional calls out. If I get a call on my cell from either an 800 number or a caller ID blocked, I don't answer.

Having said that, I have worked as a volunteer for various non-profits. One was a thrift shop run by a church - the manager got free tuition for one child to attend the church school, the rest of us got to choose ONE item every time we came in to work - otherwise, we paid the same as anyone else, and nothing was expensive (a working TV was 5.00, for instance). Other than that, I've donated supplies to pet rescues and assisted in creating a couple of non profits. Some of the most difficult to deal with were the sheltered work shops, those operated mostly on grant funds, and the grant restrictions and requirements were a real bugger. It's infinitely easier to talk a potential employer into giving a single individual a chance at a job than it is to do the required paperwork.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,068 times
Default Someone had posted this to get rid of telemarketers!

//www.city-data.com/forum/deals...marketers.html

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM

25 posts, read 90,919 times
I agree with the earlier posts, we feel the need to be charitable, & in our own minds we are thinking that we are doing a good deed by giving to those in need, without a second thought of these charities being " the greedy." I personally, give & do for John 3:16, Catholic Charities, and the Veterans. I know first hand, that they " DO " a service, and are not in it for the almighty dollar.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Now they are sending out cards:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...card-mail.html

I agree with giving to help Veterans and many others but please be very careful. There are numerous groups posing as Veterans groups (calling you on the phone) that take up to 80% for their fundraising efforts before they give what is left to Veterans.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Use caution when donating to charity | Tulsa World

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Here it is 2011 and these posts are just as relevant; I just got a call from this "sherriff's office" requesting donations, (405) 340-2988 in Edmond, Oklahoma; it seems they are still doing business as usual.

These posts educated me. I had no idea. Especially about the shoe collections, etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,751,244 times
On the subject of solicitation by police-related organizations, you can call Oklahoma FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) - which has been calling me a lot lately - to request that your number be placed on their no-call list. I just called their number on my caller ID and did that.

Last edited by Bill236c; 03-28-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa