Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM

78 posts, read 333,855 times

Advertisements

Hey there...thanks for reading...

I currently live in Stillwater w/ my fiance. We both have good jobs that we enjoy, however we do not enjoy living in Stillwater. Tulsa seems like a great fit for us and we've been looking at rental property and the prices are comparable so if we keep our jobs & commute we'll be ok financially. I've been putting everything on the scales to weigh out the pros & cons and I'm pretty much even, lol, so I need some outside opinions....would commuting from Tulsa to Stillwater be a huge mistake or doable in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,906,746 times
VERY doable

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM

304 posts, read 884,863 times
We live at the Cleveland exit and we happily go either way in about the same time!

You might look around Cleveland/Mannford/Sand Springs to get the best of both worlds.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM

5,459 posts, read 12,187,830 times
It's an easy commute. Doesn't take long at all. It's not crazy.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM

150 posts, read 299,806 times
I would choose living in Drumright and then commute to Stillwater. This would put you in an almost central location between Tulsa and Stillwater and Drumright is a very nice small town.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,906,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceweevil View Post
I would choose living in Drumright and then commute to Stillwater.
Not me. I own property in Drumright (it is rented out), and there is absolutely no night life. there is a sonic, a small ma and pa grocery, a pawn shop, a hardware store, a few "antique" (junk) stores, a Dollar General, two steakhouses (one is dry....no liquor or wine, although it's across the street from a vineyard), and it is still almost as far to Tulsa as Stillwater is.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM

150 posts, read 299,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Not me. I own property in Drumright (it is rented out), and there is absolutely no night life. there is a sonic, a small ma and pa grocery, a pawn shop, a hardware store, a few "antique" (junk) stores, a Dollar General, two steakhouses (one is dry....no liquor or wine, although it's across the street from a vineyard), and it is still almost as far to Tulsa as Stillwater is.
The very reason that I mentioned Drumright is that it is small town America and not a college town.

If nightlife is what the poster is looking for then OKC is closer to Stillwater than Tulsa is.

http://osu.okstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=279&Item id=96// (broken link)

http://osu.okstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=281&Item id=96 (broken link)

Last edited by riceweevil; 01-16-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,299 times
Default Many people do it

There are many workers and students at OSU Stillwater that live in Tulsa. I know several people who have commuted daily for many years. It's about an hour and 15 minutes to Tulsa, depending on where you live. I also know several faculty members who live in Edmond and commute daily. That's about 45 minutes. But you have to consider the weather. What will you do when the roads ice up, or when a storm is predicted and you're not sure whether it will block roads or not? Are you willing to stay a few days in a motel or with a friend in Stillwater each winter? Most of all, will you get restless spending 2 1/2 hours in a car each day? Maybe you should try it for a week, just to see how it feels.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,472,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 405travelgirl View Post
Hey there...thanks for reading...

I currently live in Stillwater w/ my fiance. We both have good jobs that we enjoy, however we do not enjoy living in Stillwater. Tulsa seems like a great fit for us and we've been looking at rental property and the prices are comparable so if we keep our jobs & commute we'll be ok financially. I've been putting everything on the scales to weigh out the pros & cons and I'm pretty much even, lol, so I need some outside opinions....would commuting from Tulsa to Stillwater be a huge mistake or doable in your opinion?
What's the problem? Are the cultural and music events that happen at the Stillwater Community Center auditorium, OSU's Seretean Auditorium and on the strip not in your taste or OSU's sporting events? As for shopping, Best Buy, apparently a mini one, is opening in Lakepoint Plaza next month.

You'll need some good luck with the commuting. My girlfriend commuted from Stillwater to OKC to a job with an insurance agency for a while but got tired of possibly running into deer, she never did, and the occasional bad weather, such as hail and heavy rain. Her car got pounded by hail near Edmond. She's now seeing if she can make it by selling insurance from her home office. And then there's the snow and freezing rain to contend with. As costly as gas is and time consuming as it is, I sure woudn't want to commute between Tulsa and Stillwater. I would rather spend my time and money doing something else.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-25-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 PM

78 posts, read 333,855 times
Quote:
What's the problem?
There are many problems and I don't want to insult people that like it here because many do, I however don't.

The jazz festivals at the center are great, we've been every year we lived here, but that's only 1 weekend a year. I haven't been to the Auditorium, I'll have to look into it, and we're not interested in sports.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why I want to move to Tulsa or anywhere else, I'm just looking for options and asking opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa