Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,418 times

Advertisements

No, they didn't serve old chicken...When I was a kid there was a restaurant in Tulsa that specialized in fried chicken. I believe it was in the Brookside area. In the early 60's our Miami High School band was returning from a performance...somewhere. We stopped at the restaurant and descended on them. They served us but asked...um, next time you're bringing in two busloads of hungry high school kids, could you maybe call ahead just a little bit??

OK, long-time Tulsans - what was that restaurant? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
The original KFC was owned by Johnny Harden "Hardens Hamburgers" on 11th Street. They were an adjunct to his regular hamburger menu and sold out the back window as one of the first drive through restaurants in the area.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,418 times
Default I Remembered!

I thought of it tonight - The Golden Drumstick.

I was able to find a little info about it by searching around. It was open through the 60's, I think. Here's what I found about it: "At 11th and Yale was The Golden Drumstick serving honey dipped golden fried chicken, hot rolls with honey and after your meal you were served finger bowls with warm water. How’s that for a touch of elegance! Later that same restaurant building became The Middle Path Café – a health food place that served Red Zinger Ice Tea and fantastic whole grain bread."

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I used to visit the Middle Path several times a week. Great food, fantastic bread. I was really hit hard when it burned........and then they had to put a circle k in its place....yuck............

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 AM

58 posts, read 146,486 times
I thought of the Golden Drumstick, but "Brookside" threw me off. It was right across the street from the elementary school I attended, but I think it was already the Middle Path by then. I do remember my family getting fried chicken there when I was a very tiny Vera.

I also remember the Tastee-Freez just to the east of the school, which was afterschool Heaven. I think it's a used car place now, but it still has the ice cream cone sign.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,149 times
Default Johnny Harden

Johnny Harden worked as a shoe repairman with my father Earl Hall in the late 1930's. He later opened a hamburger stand that was on 11th st near Skelly Stadum in the 50ty and 60ties. He also began to serve a broasted chicken (possible the Kentucky Fried recipe). my brother Mike Hall worked there in the late 50 or 60ties. Johnny obtained the Tulsa franchise for Kentucky Fried and open many stores in Tulsa run by his relatives. He later sold out and moved to Flordia.

Johnny and his family lived on a large acreage north of 21st St between Sheridan and Memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: