U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 AM
 
5 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I live in Maine, and I have lived here my entire life. I am a senior in high school, and I am considering going to the University of Tulsa in the fall. This is huge decision for me, and I want to make the right one. I've done research on what the school is like, but I would like to know more about the people. Are they friendly? Opinionated? Rude? etc. I would also like to know more about the city itself. Are there always thing going on? Lots of stuff to do? How is it different from the New England way of life? If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM
 
641 posts, read 940,330 times
Reputation: 864
It is a good quality school, with friendly people. Tulsa is a somewhat conservative, very sane, medium sized city. Somewhat more refined than what you might have expected. A rather pretty city with some wealth in areas. The "culture shock" will not be too great I don't think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 10
Okay, thank you. My parents seem to think that it would be a major "culture shock" for me, but I really don't think it would be that bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Tulsa, 41st and Yale area
258 posts, read 958,642 times
Reputation: 278
I don't know what the New England way of life is like so can't honestly put up a comparison. But for Tulsas size, it has a lot of great attractions, history, and things to do,,, and the next few years are gonna see things dramatically improve as our downtown revitalization efforts begin to kick into full gear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,160 times
Reputation: 10
hey stuckunderthewheels

my niece is from buffalo ny and is also considering TU I have lived in maine and my mom family is from MDI. I lived in Tulsa for 5 years and now live back in NY. You will find the people as a whole a little more conservative in Tulsa... you have big money like in NE but you do not see the new bohemian lifestyle i saw alot of in maine. i would think tulsa people are little more similar to tulsans then say metro boston. lastly were are you from in maine and what are thinking of majoring in at TU. it is a great school top 100 ranking nationally
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,160 times
Reputation: 10
sorry i missed the portland zip code...i will try to post some links and things to do in the area just give me an idea of what you are into so i do not waste your time.. i think you will find that something is always going on in tulsa and at TU
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,513 posts, read 8,563,538 times
Reputation: 3207
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckunderwheels View Post
I live in Maine, and I have lived here my entire life. I am a senior in high school, and I am considering going to the University of Tulsa in the fall. This is huge decision for me, and I want to make the right one. I've done research on what the school is like, but I would like to know more about the people. Are they friendly? Opinionated? Rude? etc. I would also like to know more about the city itself. Are there always thing going on? Lots of stuff to do? How is it different from the New England way of life? If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
It will be what you make of it. If you have a positive attitude and you're nice to folks I can guarantee you that Okies are some of the nicest folks on the block.

As for the culture shock, yes you're coming from NE to the South-Central United States. It's not going to be anything that you can't handle or get used to, but there will be some semblance of Southern dialect/culture, heightened conservatism, and Evangelical leaning attitudes by-in-large. (I can say this with a measure of authority as I was born&raised in Oklahoma and lived in New England for a little bit.)

Either way, you'll be fine. Treat folks with respect and you'll certainly get it back.

Good luck with your decision and Blessings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja1969 View Post
sorry i missed the portland zip code...i will try to post some links and things to do in the area just give me an idea of what you are into so i do not waste your time.. i think you will find that something is always going on in tulsa and at TU
I like to run outside, so if there are some trails/paths that would be ideal. I would to go see some rock shows. I like to go out to eat; Italian food is my favorite. If I were to go there, I would probably want to go see all the attractions like the zoo and stuff like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 15,864,661 times
Reputation: 7054
You are going to find Tulsa a pleasant surprise. People here will be overwhelmingly friendly.....to the extent that you will (initially) be suspicious as to what they want. You will learn, however, that when people ask "how are you" they really do care; that when a stranger in the supermarket starts talking with you, that they aren't necessarily hitting on you, when they hold a door for you that they are simply being nice, not trying to get something from you or trying to put you down.

You will rarely find good seafood. Usually it is frozen and is mediocre at best, although there are two nice fish markets in Tulsa that have really fresh fish, it is quite a bit more expensive (I saw lobster the other day at $18.00+/- a pound, and when I was on Cape Cod in January I could get it for $7.00).

You will find beef is as good as it gets. Fried foods are the standard fare, although there are starting to be restaurants that are becoming "innovative' (meaning they are doing what California and New York did 8 years ago).

There are several places to run, play, or ride bikes. If you like fresh water fishing you will find an incredible supply of warm water lakes (think in terms of bass and crappie instead of trout, salmon, or walleye) with lots of water based recreation (wave boards, boating, sailing, swimming etc)

The school is excellent. Young men and women are attractive (check out how many Okies in the list of Miss America's over the past 50 years). Being lonely or alone is a choice you make...........

Oh yeah........politically the area is conservative. Remember, our Democrats are more conservative than your Republicans. The great majority of people claim to be Christian and/or affiliated with a protestant church......these are frequently lip service Christians so don't expect them to be much, if any different than what you are accustomed to. Catholicism is a minority. There are a few wiccan/pagan groups around, a Bhuddist Temple, and a vibrant Muslim community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You are going to find Tulsa a pleasant surprise. People here will be overwhelmingly friendly.....to the extent that you will (initially) be suspicious as to what they want. You will learn, however, that when people ask "how are you" they really do care; that when a stranger in the supermarket starts talking with you, that they aren't necessarily hitting on you, when they hold a door for you that they are simply being nice, not trying to get something from you or trying to put you down.

You will rarely find good seafood. Usually it is frozen and is mediocre at best, although there are two nice fish markets in Tulsa that have really fresh fish, it is quite a bit more expensive (I saw lobster the other day at $18.00+/- a pound, and when I was on Cape Cod in January I could get it for $7.00).

You will find beef is as good as it gets. Fried foods are the standard fare, although there are starting to be restaurants that are becoming "innovative' (meaning they are doing what California and New York did 8 years ago).

There are several places to run, play, or ride bikes. If you like fresh water fishing you will find an incredible supply of warm water lakes (think in terms of bass and crappie instead of trout, salmon, or walleye) with lots of water based recreation (wave boards, boating, sailing, swimming etc)

The school is excellent. Young men and women are attractive (check out how many Okies in the list of Miss America's over the past 50 years). Being lonely or alone is a choice you make...........

Oh yeah........politically the area is conservative. Remember, our Democrats are more conservative than your Republicans. The great majority of people claim to be Christian and/or affiliated with a protestant church......these are frequently lip service Christians so don't expect them to be much, if any different than what you are accustomed to. Catholicism is a minority. There are a few wiccan/pagan groups around, a Bhuddist Temple, and a vibrant Muslim community.
Okay, thank you for the information. I'm not really a seafood kind of person. I also rarely eat beef and almost never eat fried foods. I'm not into fishing, but the water-based recreation sounds fun. Since I'm not religious at all, do you think the people who are religious are going to try to shove their beliefs down my throat, or would they be understanding?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top