Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostmissed View Post
I I read your post < I think were in the same boat. I recently moved here from Rhode Island.

Im homesick k too. I miss new England. It seems like the people out here Tulsa broken arrow rea just stare straight head not friendly at all. Hey im a totally trustworthy honest guy . Would you like to go to a concert with me at the Cains ballroom In Tulsa,I Iv been to one concert there it was cool , I was alone and I was kind of a drag, Hey do you Like Yellowcard ? Hey I like the sox too but I like the Bruins more .
Where in RI are you from? Another New England family heading west!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
People are people. Tulsa is not much more friendly but no less friendly than any other midwestern city of its size. You might personally be in a rut. Issues you describe are subjective. The world is what you make it.
I'm almost tempted to accuse you of not actually living in or around Tulsa, but that's not really fair. Maybe you're from Tulsa, I don't know.

As a former resident of Tulsa, I can attest to the attitude. It's not so much downright hostility as it is a lack of friendliness.

I first landed in Tulsa in the late '70s, right out of the Navy. I was young (20-something), single, male, a CB'er (google it), and a church-goer. I had a really difficult time making close acquaintances, let alone friends. I'd go to what they used to call CB Breaks, which is just a gathering of CB enthusiasts at a local restaurant, park, or what have you. I'd walk in with my CB in hand, start introducing myself around, and people were like "so what? We don't know you, why are you here?" Except they didn't say anything; they just stared.

I worked at McDonnell-Douglas; landed that 2 or 3 days after I got to town, and I attended Spartan, so it wasn't like I was out-and-about and lacked opportunity to meet new people.

Strangely, I am considering Tulsa as a place to retire to. Apparently, it hasn't changed a whole lot, but then again, my wife and I are fairly self-contained, and not as social as either of us or both of us used to be. Plus, I have family throughout the mid-west and a few friends still in Tulsa.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
I'm from Tulsa originally, and live in Tulsa now. I have to stand by what I said, I have traveled a fair amount and I think that people are somewhat the same through lots of the middle of the US, with nuanced differences if you travel far enough.

Last edited by teakboat; 04-18-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Hi I know this is 5 years late but I just started a hangout group. The people in the group must have a job and be able to pitch in money on any outing we go to so it can be more fun and less worry about money. If you or anyone else sees this and wants to join let me know My number is 9188410845 it is in Tulsa, Ok

Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeprincesscx View Post
..........I just started a hangout group. ....................
whats a hang out group? what age range?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Originally Posted by nativeprincesscx
..........I just started a hangout group. ....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
whats a hang out group? what age range?

Hanging Out Meetups in Tulsa - Meetup

are reverse it and have a........

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3111943?hl=en

Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
I'm almost tempted to accuse you of not actually living in or around Tulsa, but that's not really fair. Maybe you're from Tulsa, I don't know.

As a former resident of Tulsa, I can attest to the attitude. It's not so much downright hostility as it is a lack of friendliness.

I first landed in Tulsa in the late '70s, right out of the Navy. I was young (20-something), single, male, a CB'er (google it), and a church-goer. I had a really difficult time making close acquaintances, let alone friends. I'd go to what they used to call CB Breaks, which is just a gathering of CB enthusiasts at a local restaurant, park, or what have you. I'd walk in with my CB in hand, start introducing myself around, and people were like "so what? We don't know you, why are you here?" Except they didn't say anything; they just stared.

I worked at McDonnell-Douglas; landed that 2 or 3 days after I got to town, and I attended Spartan, so it wasn't like I was out-and-about and lacked opportunity to meet new people.

Strangely, I am considering Tulsa as a place to retire to. Apparently, it hasn't changed a whole lot, but then again, my wife and I are fairly self-contained, and not as social as either of us or both of us used to be. Plus, I have family throughout the mid-west and a few friends still in Tulsa.
I go to Tulsa all the time. It is, in the likeness of OKC, a very hospitable city. I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but it is a very open and friendly city in my experience.

It is quintessentially like any other South-Central city in terms of culture (friendly church-going majority). The "Oklahoma Standard" is not a myth.

Sounds like you ran in some interesting circles. The CB community is not known for being an outgoing crowd.....they're into CBs for Pete's sake! The CB crew is not a decent barometer for Tulsa's friendliness. Chances are, CBers are weird just about anywhere.

EDIT:
I have a sneaky suspicion RedBird is a closet CBer!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
I can attest to the attitude for that regional area....SE Kansas/NE OK. I lived in Coffeyville from 2000 to 2005, and found most people unwilling to accept outsiders. The workforce was even worse. I ended up getting into health care because I could not even land a job based on my previous skills and exp in production and office.
I finally left in 2005, when my daughter got accepted to K-State.
People just are overly suspicious of anyone not family/church/childhood acquaintances.
As for as what they do....many people seem to have oil rights and $$, and spend hours driving to Tulsa/Joplin/Bartlesville. I never made enough $$ to do any of that.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 PM

I appreciate everyone's replies. My cousin and her husband lived in Tulsa before moving to New Orleans, and another uncle and his family lived in Tulsa for a goodly portion of my cousins' childhoods. It's a pleasant enough town, and like I said, I'd even consider retiring there in a few years. I think moxiegal said it best, but at the same time, they're not unlike people in other places. Me, I grew up in the midwest; Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin. Mostly small towns, but when I joined the Navy in the early '70s, it was mostly cities; San Diego, Los Angeles, Houston, Orlando, Philadelphia...and Tulsa. Interestingly, I find people in big cities tend to be more accepting, if not downright friendly toward new people. I find people here in Maryland tend to have that stand-offish attitude toward anyone not from here (about 2.5 hours south of evil DC). Have a good night, all.

PS: Does anyone remember Townsend Top Shop?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I go to Tulsa all the time. It is, in the likeness of OKC, a very hospitable city. I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but it is a very open and friendly city in my experience.

It is quintessentially like any other South-Central city in terms of culture (friendly church-going majority). The "Oklahoma Standard" is not a myth.

Sounds like you ran in some interesting circles. The CB community is not known for being an outgoing crowd.....they're into CBs for Pete's sake! The CB crew is not a decent barometer for Tulsa's friendliness. Chances are, CBers are weird just about anywhere.

EDIT:
I have a sneaky suspicion RedBird is a closet CBer!

Now you tell me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa