Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywacko View Post
......... as I mentioned earlier, there is NO science museum in Tulsa.
maybe not on the scale you desire, but....

Quote:
The Harmon Science Center in Tulsa has interactive exhibits that include laser shows, displays about weather, electricity, chemistry and geology.
Harmon Science Center, Tulsa
Quote:
TASM honors and celebrates the city's rich aviation heritage as well as its future in the aerospace industry. TASM has 19,000 feet of exhibit space, a library, hands-on educational displays, and a planetarium.
The planetarium is the only one in the region to show digital movies on a 50ft dome as well as live astronomical shows by an astronomer
Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium
Quote:
You and your WILD ones can have tons of fun with Tulsa Zoo edZOOcational programs! We offer a variety of learning experiences year-round for adults, families and children including spring and fall classes and day camps during winter break, spring break and the summer!
Tulsa Zoo & Living Museum :: Classes & Workshops (http://www.tulsazoo.org/EducationConservation/ClassesWorkshops/ - broken link)

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,446 times
I don't think the Harmon Science Center still exists. However, if there isnt a Science Museum, and you want one,,,, sounds like an opportunity to get one started yourself.

Btw, I believe there is a Geology/petroleum/natural sciences museum in the works for Tulsa.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM

620 posts, read 1,751,381 times
Top internet speed of 6 MBPS? You mean in the schools?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 PM

52 posts, read 158,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I always thought that agnostics have faith in a "higher being" but really don't follow a prescribed religion or theology.
Actually, both theists and atheists can be agnostics; agnosticism is about knowledge and it is not about faith.

Quote:

What type of science museum would you want? The numbers aren't there to support a full blown Nature & Science Museum but a Aeronautics/Children's Museum would do really well. It would get more students interested in science and technology which Oklahoma is really behind in. (Top internet speed of 6 MBPS?!? Even Colorado Springs has 20 MBPS)
Museum of Science Boston, Saint Louis City Museum, Saint Louis Science Center, etc. maybe scaled down to the population of Tulsa. I have not yet visited the Aeronautics Museum, but my girls are not getting much excited about old airplanes, so until now we skip this one and go straight to the Tulsa Zoo, which is good (though they lost a white bear and two giraffes recently).

Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
Btw, I believe there is a Geology/petroleum/natural sciences museum in the works for Tulsa.
Interesting .... I even know people who are on this project...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:10 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywacko View Post

Yes, this is one reason why the divorce rate is often higher among Christians than among atheists.
There was once upon a time this real GOOD CAUCASIAN CHRISTIAN LADY
that would not under any circumstances DIVORCE HER HUSBAND , and
you know what happened "she contracted AIDS and DIED" sometimes
a higher divorce rate is actually "good" for the parties concerned......

Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Default Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Top internet speed of 6 MBPS? You mean in the schools?
My reference is the top DSL speed that the phone company (AT&T) carries. I was comparing it to Qwest in Colorado for an apples to apples comparison.

I know that cable services are faster but it isn't as fast as a T-100 line. Most people can't/won't shell out the bucks for fiber connections to their home so the next options are DSL or cable.

Schools, most likely, have the T-100 (Gigabit ethernet) connection as they have a large number of computers and servers. That is what is used in large office buildings and major company and university campuses.

My complaint was that the retail internet service provided to the general public in Tulsa is lacking. I don't consider 6 MBPS sufficient for what most people think the internet is capable of doing such as downloading rentals from Netflix or watching live video.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
My reference is the top DSL speed that the phone company (AT&T) carries. I was comparing it to Qwest in Colorado for an apples to apples comparison.
Cox in Tulsa has up to 25mbps for same price as Qwest (up to 20 mbps). Cox is available in all areas of Tulsa.

You're not really comparing apples to apples.

20Mbps High Speed Internet DSL Summary - Qwest

Internet Pricing & Plans serving Tulsa | Cox Communications

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-19-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Internetwise... Tulsa is not bad at all in internet connectivity. and how can it be bad if there is a great deal of the internet security research going on in Tulsa.
Consumerwise... COX is not very good, but it is relatively better then many others. I pay $35 a month for COX cable only (not TV), and this is enough for my Netflix movies. Of course, I want it faster and cheaper ... maybe the first will improve with time.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Default DSL is not Cable DSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Cox in Tulsa has up to 25mbps for same price as Qwest (up to 20 mbps). Cox is available in all areas of Tulsa.

You're not really comparing apples to apples.
The apples to apples comparison is Qwest v. AT&T (the local phone company). Cox is a cable DSL which has a higher transmission rate due to the hardware involved (pure copper wire v. phone fiber). To compare cable services in the two states, I would compare Comcast v. Cox. I can't stand Comcast's marketing and customer service so I never even looked at ordering services from them. Cox seems to be a little better in both areas but that's not saying a lot.

BTW, I paid $45/mo for the 20 MBPS line in Colorado so getting 25 MBPS for $35/mo is a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa