Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Still here in Tulsa after 2 years. I chuckle now re-reading my posts raving about how awesome it is here. What could I have been thinking???? I guess now that reality has set in and the rose colored glasses are off, I have to admit that I'm glad I tried it here, but it's time to go elsewhere. I guess the shortcomings have really got to me in these troubled times. Having been laid off for a long time, it appears Tulsa employers view $10 per hour as Bil gates type income It's very tough to survive on that even in this lower COL. A cost that is offset by the number of auto repairs I've had to pay for due to the awesome drivers and roads here. A degreed-hard working person with excellent references should not have to work 2-3 jobs to survive. I'm working 3rd shift now, making it hard to get much needed sleep. It seems intelligence and experience is looked upon as a negative here.
Socially, I met a lot of nice folks, but I'm just not going to fit in to the Bible culture no matter how hard I try, I just cant. Sorry, I'm not going to "pray about everything" How about some better paying jobs?? Not going to find those in the Bible will we??
I know I'm going to be flamed, banned, etc for this post, but at this point, I don;t care anymore. I tried so hard to love it and make it here, but I guess my idea of decent wage, and tolerance isn;t popular here.
Sadly, I think it's time to consider another area. Sorry Tulsa, you had your chance, you blew it, and maybe I did too. Adios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- Still here in Tulsa after 2 years. I chuckle now re-reading my posts raving about how awesome it is here. What could I have been thinking???? I guess now that reality has set in and the rose colored glasses are off, I have to admit that I'm glad I tried it here, but it's time to go elsewhere. I guess the shortcomings have really got to me in these troubled times. Having been laid off for a long time, it appears Tulsa employers view $10 per hour as Bil gates type income It's very tough to survive on that even in this lower COL. A cost that is offset by the number of auto repairs I've had to pay for due to the awesome drivers and roads here. A degreed-hard working person with excellent references should not have to work 2-3 jobs to survive. I'm working 3rd shift now, making it hard to get much needed sleep. It seems intelligence and experience is looked upon as a negative here.
Socially, I met a lot of nice folks, but I'm just not going to fit in to the Bible culture no matter how hard I try, I just cant. Sorry, I'm not going to "pray about everything" How about some better paying jobs?? Not going to find those in the Bible will we??
I know I'm going to be flamed, banned, etc for this post, but at this point, I don;t care anymore. I tried so hard to love it and make it here, but I guess my idea of decent wage, and tolerance isn;t popular here.
Sadly, I think it's time to consider another area. Sorry Tulsa, you had your chance, you blew it, and maybe I did too. Adios
LeaveWI,

Sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it. Hope you find the place and happiness you're looking for. Blessings.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Well, from your description, I would recommend that you pass SW MO by. It sounds like a carbon copy of Tulsa. Honestly though, I wonder - other than California and large, large cities like Boston, New York, etc., aren't all places pretty much the same these days? Is there *anywhere* that isn't paying slave wages? I look on craigslist at places like Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, and the salaries/wages seem to be about the same. <shrug>

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM

20 posts, read 71,925 times
Agreed. Unfortunately the recession has just now hit this part of the country, but I would have to say it's not nearly as bad here as it is elsewhere. I wouldn't particularly blame Tulsa for the low job market, realistically it's this way everywhere. I'm sorry Tulsa wasn't the place for you. I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM

thanks all for your understanding. It's not that I think Tulsa is horrible, because it's not. But I'm at my wit's end. It COULD be an awesome place to live, but TPTB are focused on things that maybe aren;t as important as jobs and safety.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,813 times
Just out of curiosity... What field is your degree in, and are your current "jobs" in that field?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Have you put your application in at the Oklahoma state employment office in Tulsa? If not, do it.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Thanks again all. I do have my app in wth the state. My background is in purchasing/inventory control 14 yrs, and 5 years of banking. In banking, I moved up from teller to loan processor in 2 years. I have applied to literally every bank and credit union within 25 miles of here, sending professionally done resume and cover letter. A lot of places I applied to also stated "no experience required" so I figured with 5 years under my belt, I would at least get an interview. Zero luck. From what I saw, I was too old (30's) and too male. Guess these places wanted a19 year old Barbie-doll type. Doesn;t experience and education count anymore?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Default bust

Quote:
Guess these places wanted a19 year old Barbie-doll type. Doesn;t experience and education count anymore?
Retail lending has been moved to the "dumbed down monkey job" by most banks. If you have a high enough FICO score, a pulse and can prove your income, you get the loan. Miss one of those, tough luck. I worked in banking for a year before starting my engineering career due to the .com bust. Banking and finance is in a bust now and likely won't get out of it for a while. I'd recommend trying Ag or Oil finance if you can as those deals still require someone who knows what they are doing. Car notes and mortgages are too algorithm based (FICO) now and are low margin for bank bosses not to care about changing the business.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,700 times
What is your degree in, you did not mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: