Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,459,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
ITA. It's time Hollywood moved on to another state to ruin its rep...Ohio, maybe??
No don't send them to Ohio. Ohio already has a bad reputation with a lot of people. Let's send them to Michigan instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM

341 posts, read 500,555 times
Well I think Bergerac did them no favours, largely depicting them as a bunch of Channel Islands tax dodgers not to mention their occupation by the Germans in WW2...oh, do you mean NEW Jersey?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,993,670 times
Might as well get used to it. They've been doing the same with the California stereotypes for decades.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 PM

750 posts, read 1,435,876 times
Oh, but Fontucky, you just KNOW those California stereotypes are true!

Aren't they?

hello?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,036,538 times
I think all of this began w/ Jersey Shore didn't it?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I think all of this began w/ Jersey Shore didn't it?

Yeah...the show with a bunch of people on it who aren't even from New Jersey.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Might as well get used to it. They've been doing the same with the California stereotypes for decades.

This!!!!

FTR... anyone use to watch that tv show Las Vegas? The one on NBC starring James Caan and Josh Duhamel... M'kay... one out of every 1,000 people in Las Vegas looks even remotely close to those on that show. It's laughable!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
I'm sick of Jersey people being in denial of how Jersey people are portrayed. They are in denial about many of their attributes. The Jersey Shore just exposed the truth. Yes, it's overstated and dramatized for television but it's also true to a certain degree. I think the Jersey Shore made residents from New Jersey see themselves from a different perspective. Jersey people have always been proud of their tough attitude. Even non-Italian New Jersey residents adopted the swagger and attitude of the Italians there. The Jersey Shore embarrassed them and made them recognize that tough attitude can also be viewed as being silly and brutish.In response, they want to play the victim card and blame the studios for stereotyping when in reality it was just exposing the truth.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-22-2010 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,722,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I read in People magazine today that yet another "reality" show based on people from NJ is on TV...this one's called "Jersey Couture" and is about a mom and her 2 daughters (Italian, of course) and their dress shop in Freehold.
I for one am sick of Hollywood spreading the myth (which they created) that people from NJ 1) all live in the northern end of the state near NY, 2) are all loudmouth, rude Italians, 3) spend their days tanning, drinking, and fist-pumping, and 4) have connections to the mafia.
First there was Jersey Shore, then Real Housewives of New Jersey, now this. When's this stupid fascination with Jersey gonna end? Most (if not all) of the people on these shows aren't even from NJ!
As someone who was born and raised there, these shows **** me off.
Any thoughts?
I don't watch such shows, but Jersey isn't the first place to be stereotyped. Thanks to Hollywood people tend to forget that the rest of NYS outside the city still exists. I've been called a city slicker before when I mentioned I was from NY, but I'm not from anywhere near the big city (A few hours north)!

There have been stereotypes about all sorts of people and all sorts of places. Don't watch the crappy reality shows and get over it.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sick of Jersey people being in denial of how Jersey people are portrayed. They are in denial about many of their attributes. The Jersey Shore just exposed the truth. Yes, it's overstated and dramatized for television but it's also true to a certain degree. I think the Jersey Shore made residents from New Jersey see themselves from a different perspective. Jersey people have always been proud of their tough attitude. Even non-Italian New Jersey residents adopted the swagger and attitude of the Italians there. The Jersey Shore embarrassed them and made them recognize that tough attitude can also be viewed as being silly and brutish.In response, they want to play the victim card and blame the studios for stereotyping when in reality it was just exposing the truth.
Ok, Troll...wasn't gonna bother with a reply but I will anyway.
What "truth" are you talking about?
Maybe in the north end of Jersey near NYC people act like that, but where I'm from-the real Jersey shore, Cape May-people are nothing like that. Yeah we have tough attitudes here, but for the most part people are blue-collar, everyday types. We don't spend our days tanning, getting drunk, partying, and imitating Italians. (still trying to figure that one out.)
Most of those Italians you see on these shows aren't even from Jersey...they're from New York!
Maybe it's time Hollywood made a Jersey reality show based somewhere below Trenton...then the rest of the US would get an honest, real portrayal of what Jersey people are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV