Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,096,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sick of Jersey people being in denial of how Jersey people are portrayed. They are in denial about many of their attributes. The Jersey Shore just exposed the truth. Yes, it's overstated and dramatized for television but it's also true to a certain degree. I think the Jersey Shore made residents from New Jersey see themselves from a different perspective. Jersey people have always been proud of their tough attitude. Even non-Italian New Jersey residents adopted the swagger and attitude of the Italians there. The Jersey Shore embarrassed them and made them recognize that tough attitude can also be viewed as being silly and brutish.In response, they want to play the victim card and blame the studios for stereotyping when in reality it was just exposing the truth.
I have doubts you've ever met anyone from here. The cast of Jersey Shore wasn't even from Jersey! What part of that don't people understand?

This is how this whole mess got started:

There has always been a rift between Jersey and New York people. For years New Yorkers us have told us we're dirty swamp monsters and what not. Well a video surfaced called "My new haircut" which was made by Jersey people as a poke at New Yorkers. Then not long after that Viacom (a NY based company) decided they'd send the ugliest, blowhard, loudmouth stereotypes they have down here to Jersey and make a show about them titled "Jersey Shore". It's NY's way of getting back at us for the "My new haircut" debacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM

10,230 posts, read 11,208,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I have doubts you've ever met anyone from here. The cast of Jersey Shore wasn't even from Jersey! What part of that don't people understand?

This is how this whole mess got started:

There has always been a rift between Jersey and New York people. For years New Yorkers us have told us we're dirty swamp monsters and what not.
What New Yorkers Told You - you were dirty swamp Monsters?

I'm originally from NY - grew up and lived there most of my life. I never, ever heard anyone call Jersey People Swamp monsters.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
What New Yorkers Told You - you were dirty swamp Monsters?

I'm originally from NY - grew up and lived there most of my life. I never, ever heard anyone call Jersey People Swamp monsters.
I think it depends on what part you're from. I know people from Long Island, Staten Island, and general burbs look down on Jersey. I know and can guarantee every Jersite has heard something about how New Yorkers are greater and Jersites are inferior. Some moron I was drinking next to in a bar in HOBOKEN was telling me about how we're just born inferior and are fake.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,032,633 times
What, 2 years of shows on T.V. stereotyping your area, and that upsets you? Cry me a river. C'mon down South, we've been stereotyped for generations. Some true some not.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,500,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
What, 2 years of shows on T.V. stereotyping your area, and that upsets you? Cry me a river. C'mon down South, we've been stereotyped for generations. Some true some not.
True, however...

I'm from Jersey and I'm currently living in SC.

Sorry to say that in this area, those dumb-redneck stereotypes are pretty much on point.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
I rather have the TV stations stereotype the jersey folks. Lord knows we dont need more stereotyping in Texas.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
True, however...

I'm from Jersey and I'm currently living in SC.

Sorry to say that in this area, those dumb-redneck stereotypes are pretty much on point.

You say redneck like its a bad thing? We just enjoy the virtues of reading bibles, having guns, and our wimmenfolk keeping a clean house. BTW those orange skinned folk confuse me. I mean which side of the tracks would we make em live?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,500,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
BTW those orange skinned folk confuse me. I mean which side of the tracks would we make em live?
How about in Willy Wonka's Factory with the other Oompa Loompas?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Stereotypes don't materialize from nowhere. It is a FACT that New Jersey has a mafia problem. Hollywood didn't make that up about New Jersey.

Although it's not an accurate representation of all New Jersey citizens, it's definitely an accurate representation of one aspect of New Jersey culture that most other states lack.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I think all of this began w/ Jersey Shore didn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Yeah...the show with a bunch of people on it who aren't even from New Jersey.
Nope. It all started with Sopranos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV