Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

OK guys the holiday is over and i've seen all the re runs a dozen times.
I;m thinking its about time for a new Star Trek series on TV,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I'd love a new Trek series, but I want some fresh blood making it. The last few TV Treks have seemed rather tired. I think a lot of it will depend on how well the next movie does.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
I'd like to see a new series, but I think they've sort of painted themselves in a corner where everything is peaceful and the Feds are pretty well set up. Of course TNG started in a world set up that way, and by the end of the pilot we had the Borg and Q. Maybe have some time travel thing where the Borg weren't neutered in Voyager and some Dominion foothold survived in the Alpha Quadrant to be a threat to the Federation. For the win give the Klingons their spines back and make them a threat to the Feds again. Plus there's always the Tholians if you ignore all the oddness from Enterprise about them. Or maybe have some sort of Federation Civil War over the Prime Directive. Let the Orions go their own way and become pirates and slave traders again. In any event it'd help expand the thIngan Hol vocabulary which would give me incentive to start learning again.

I think it'd need to be on cable though, and I don't really think the performance of the next movie shoud have much of an impact on the fate of any new tv series. It probably will, but it shouldn't in my opinion. The Star Trek book series were all put on hold last year for books based on the new movie universe, and they all ended up getting put on a hold for a while. That to me indicates that the movie universe hasn't really clicked with ST fans as much as the studio hoped, and it didn't really attract any sizable number of new fans to ST. Personally the movie was a decent enough action movie, but not really that great of a Star Trek movie. If they want to strengthen the franchise they need a good Star Trek movie that is also a good action movie.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
A new Star Trek is something I'd give a chance. Maybe that almost worthless Sci-Fi channel could produce it.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
A new Star Trek is something I'd give a chance. Maybe that almost worthless Sci-Fi channel could produce it.
Lord knows they need SOMETHING to liven up their line up and their ratings!

I would LOVE to see another up-dated Star Trek series. I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Star Trekkin!!!

YouTube - Star Trekkin

Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM

381 posts, read 814,411 times
I'd like to see a new one too.

However, I think one that is set in a Klingon ship could be interesting instead of a show on a Federation ship. Maybe have like one human on it to give it perspective.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OK guys the holiday is over and i've seen all the re runs a dozen times.
I;m thinking its about time for a new Star Trek series on TV,
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha. Hubby would love it.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I'd like to see a new one too.

However, I think one that is set in a Klingon ship could be interesting instead of a show on a Federation ship. Maybe have like one human on it to give it perspective.
No way. I could not sit through just one hour of Klingons acting all gruff, rough and domineering. Unappealing and boring.

now maybe if the did a show about Vulcans, that could be something.

But none with the obnoxious aliens, like Klingons, Romulans, or the Ferengi.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I'd like to see a new series, but I think they've sort of painted themselves in a corner where everything is peaceful and the Feds are pretty well set up. Of course TNG started in a world set up that way, and by the end of the pilot we had the Borg and Q. Maybe have some time travel thing where the Borg weren't neutered in Voyager and some Dominion foothold survived in the Alpha Quadrant to be a threat to the Federation. For the win give the Klingons their spines back and make them a threat to the Feds again. Plus there's always the Tholians if you ignore all the oddness from Enterprise about them. Or maybe have some sort of Federation Civil War over the Prime Directive. Let the Orions go their own way and become pirates and slave traders again. In any event it'd help expand the thIngan Hol vocabulary which would give me incentive to start learning again.

I think it'd need to be on cable though, and I don't really think the performance of the next movie shoud have much of an impact on the fate of any new tv series. It probably will, but it shouldn't in my opinion. The Star Trek book series were all put on hold last year for books based on the new movie universe, and they all ended up getting put on a hold for a while. That to me indicates that the movie universe hasn't really clicked with ST fans as much as the studio hoped, and it didn't really attract any sizable number of new fans to ST. Personally the movie was a decent enough action movie, but not really that great of a Star Trek movie. If they want to strengthen the franchise they need a good Star Trek movie that is also a good action movie.
What I really want to see is the Alpha quadrant in the post-Dominion war world. Cardassia is decimated. The Klingons have years of recovery. The Romulans are sitting better off and just as untrustworthy as ever, even better off than the Federation which took incredable losses and has to face real limitations and many compromises. The movie Insurrection defined it rather well.

I'd also like to see how they deal with the different way the many vets who have lived through horrible things and seen and done horrible things to live. They won't be coming home living in the great image of paradise anymore. There will have to be decisions made on a basis of limitations and who deserves resourses more as their post war world is rebuilt. And there are other less obvious things. The politcial and legal scape has been shaken up. We never saw it directly but did see indications that the rights of Federation citizens had been somewhat compromised by the hunt for the Maquis and the fear of spies and changelings. What comes of this? What about those who were detained on some suspecision but now are supposed to be released? They aren't feeling much like model citizens anymore. Do you tip toe around legalities and not release them?

Lots of really good questions which do get explored in fan fiction but some of which has been skirted carefully by the franchise. What I wouldn't want to see is a show about yeah! the wars over and lets go explore again... sorry but their world has been altered terribly and things are not going to be the same. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Didn't see the movie, and after discovering it is an AU (alternate universe) story it didn't appeal so much but will eventually.

I think with the current mood of people, seeing and exploring how the world has become different would strike a cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV