Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times

Advertisements

The Reign of Right-Wing Primetime - Yahoo! TV Blog

Suprising, funny, and interesting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 AM

341 posts, read 500,325 times
The most right wing show of all time?

Definitely The Unit, even on the DVD commentaries the actors comment that it does so much better in 'red' states than 'blue'

America's enemies should be dealt with by;
1) Reasoned negotiation
2) Killing them
3) Kidnapping them and torturing them for information
4) Kidnapping them, torturing them for information and THEN killing them
5) Kidnapping, torture, killing then heading home to argue with your neglected but ultra-patriotic wife?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
On the "Democrats list" I like "The Good Wife" and "Parks and Recreation" was okay what I saw of it. "Mad Men" is interesting, but I wouldn't say I precisely enjoyed it and I no longer have Dish. I do very much like "The Closer" which they go on to list as more Democratic. On the "Republican list" I like "NCIS" and "The Mentalist", but "Lie to Me" is eh okay.

I am a bit conservative and I fit more with the "Republican viewing" in that I get tired of all the angst-ridden stories of damaged people.

There's not many TV series I would consider to be conservative as such. (I'm not counting opinion shows because I think that's too explicit) A few, past or present, might include

Many Westerns

The original Battlestar Galactica - Possibly forgotten due to its more successful re-imagining, which is more politically ambiguous or liberal, the original was in many ways too Right-wing for me. A consistent message is that peace can only be achieved by military strength or vanquishing your enemy. If you're thinking "well that's just because in that one the Cylons are basically just evil", uh-uh. There was one episode where two kinds of humans were fighting and the message was still that those who want peace are fools. Also, despite the hooker, it's fairly consistent in its Mormon values of faith and family.

The Unit - I agree there.

King of the Hill - The first season seemed to be lampooning them a bit, but after that it's one of the most sympathetic portrayals of a Republican-voting family I know of. Although I would say there is some irony and distance to it so it's not totally saying everything they think or do is right. Also I think they're unrealistically pro-gay for Republican-voting suburbanites over 40, but that's probably unavoidable if you don't want the characters to be too off-putting to people under-30 or Northeastern people.

Existing shows I guess NCIS and maybe The Middle. I don't think The Middle is really political in any normal sense, but it takes place in a "Red State" and they have three kids all of whom live with their married parents. Also they go to church at least sometimes, there's little or no bad language, and Patricia Heaton's a Republican.

If we include reality shows I could see "Dancing with the Stars" as conservative. Bristol Palin's on it, they do many older dancing styles, it's about rich or famous people showing off a new talent, etc. Also maybe "Undercover Boss", but that could go either way. It either shows the humanity of CEOs and thereby gives capitalism a friendly face or it shows the clueless nature of the rich and shames them by showing them how their workers live. Also the Hallmark Channel is owned by a Republican-leaning business and runs shows I'd consider conservative in the true meaning of the word. (Tradition, order, prudence, some nostalgia)

I guess if I were to do a "conservative show", as a conservative-leaning person, I would not really make it that political. I would just say have it be about a functional family with five kids who live in the Nebraska Panhandle or be a military family in South Carolina. Just present such a thing as it plausibly would be and I think it'd generally be "conservative friendly." If you want Right-wing friendly, which I consider a different thing actually, I guess you could have a series that's a sympathetic look at people in the oil industry or a rags-to-rich story where the hero doesn't get any government help on his/her way up.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
I love "The Office", as it held sway with both Democratic and Republican viewers on about the same level.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
If I like a show, I watch it. If I don't like a show, I don't watch it. When the acting stinks, I turn it off. I don't care about the "story line" or "political stance" behind the episode, series, whatever.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Republicans - Lie to Me
Democrats - Damages

.............................sounds about how politics goes.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
LMAO, GloryB!

I already know I'm a square red peg in my round blue state although I vote for whoever I like. Parties make no difference to me but this tv poll?? Wow, Mentalist, Survivor, DWTS, Desperate Housewives, NCIS and Lie To Me are must see tv for me. Brother and Sisters and L&O are too.

I had no idea that my tv likes and dislikes almost "brand" me as a roaring Repub! I used to be a bleeding heart Dem but changed my mind with age.

Velly interesting!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
I'm conservative and enjoy shows on both lists.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
I'm an independent and I pretty much only watch cooking shows.

That could be "Hells Kitchen" on FOX, or "Everyday Food" on PBS. Most of the time, if the TV is on, it's on FoodNetwork, and I'm watching Alton Brown or Iron Chef.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I believe Desperate Housewives is by a gay Republican. (Not sure if he's Log Cabin type or of the more recent gay-conservative insurgent "GOProud" movement.) Oddly what little I saw of it I can kind of see how it could be a gay Republican's show. It's about women, but they're not that much like real women and there's usually a hunky guy somewhere. However unlike Sex and the City, another show I believe was by a gay man, they're suburban women and I'm pretty sure from the start at least some of them had kids. Granted a super-liberal gay guy could definitely work with that set up too, but I could see it as having "Gay Republican" interest.

Yet I never got into it, although I'm not precisely gay or Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV