U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,083,137 times

Advertisements

I could hear screaming and yelling and it's Oprah's audience on TV. They are losing their minds over their "free things." It's kind of unbecoming...is this a new TV theme in America? Audiences go wild a freak out about getting material things?

It just hit me as obnoxious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,170,048 times
Here's an Oprah skit done by SNL. It's cheesy, but so is the reaction of the audience during Oprah's "favorite things" episodes.

the things that make me laugh: Oprah's Favorite Things SNL Parody (http://kaycaskey.blogspot.com/2007/11/oprahs-favorite-things-snl-parody.html - broken link)

Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM

OMG mommabear, that's hilarious. Amy Poehler is priceless! Thanks for sharing...

And now I realize what I had on was the Favorite Things re-run.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,139,133 times
I think its sort of obnoxious as well. But they are also getting some serious freaking gifts. Thousands if no 10s of thousands of dollars worth of stuff EACH. It would seem sort of rude to just sit there quietly like the don't care. And if your someone that doesn't have a lot of money and may never otherwise get to go on a cruise or even a nice vacation - you might feel sort of overwhelmed.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM

12,983 posts, read 13,725,315 times
Yeah, you go to the View, you get one of their stupid coffee mugs!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,811,945 times
Keep in mind, Oprah's sponsors are supplying these items (Oprah isn't paying for them) and for what they're giving, they want AIR TIME and LOTS OF ATTENTION to their product. Not to mention, the audience "warm-up" guy tells the audience to react loudly and as crazy as possible when Oprah mentions what they're getting. (if he didn't, the audience would be clapping and "woo-hoo-ing" but not nearly as loud and crazy as they do.

I don't watch Oprah --- have never even watched one episode in all her 25(?) years --- but I can imagine being an audience member and getting some amazing gift and going all gaga over it. One time, I was an audience member at a NYC based talk show and we got some great gifts. (I went to a lot of shows and got tons of amazing stuff ---- from cell phones, to high end makeup, to B'way show tickets, to video game systems, etc etc etc. I was shocked and clapped/screamed but not nearly the way I've seen people on the Oprah show commercials react.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,588,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Keep in mind, Oprah's sponsors are supplying these items (Oprah isn't paying for them) and for what they're giving, they want AIR TIME and LOTS OF ATTENTION to their product. Not to mention, the audience "warm-up" guy tells the audience to react loudly and as crazy as possible when Oprah mentions what they're getting. (if he didn't, the audience would be clapping and "woo-hoo-ing" but not nearly as loud and crazy as they do.

I don't watch Oprah --- have never even watched one episode in all her 25(?) years --- but I can imagine being an audience member and getting some amazing gift and going all gaga over it. One time, I was an audience member at a NYC based talk show and we got some great gifts. (I went to a lot of shows and got tons of amazing stuff ---- from cell phones, to high end makeup, to B'way show tickets, to video game systems, etc etc etc. I was shocked and clapped/screamed but not nearly the way I've seen people on the Oprah show commercials react.
Amen and you better believe she's got clap,yell,scream light up signs all over. I've read about her warm up or as I call them"instruction rules" that occur prior to her highness making her appearance. I was flabbergasted at the lengths she goes to to insure she gets the reception to which she desires. Crazy.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM

I think Oprah is awesome and I love her generosity and charitable activities.

But I I find her giving away her "ultimate favorite things" all to a group of people who have not been identified as "needy" as extremely excessive. I guess she wants to go out on a superlative "bang" as she ends her show. If she had asked me , I might have suggested some alternatives that would have benefited the needy. BUT, knowing Oprah, that will be yet to come before the show closes.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 PM

42,281 posts, read 55,717,597 times
BTW, the winners and gift receptients have to personally pay taxes on their prizes. Those trips and many prizes are not cheap.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,588,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
BTW, the winners and gift receptients have to personally pay taxes on their prizes. Those trips and many prizes are not cheap.
you best believe it! The tax agents want their portion immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV