Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,449,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
That's the thing. I can save a buttload of money, too, if I only buy whatever I have coupons for just so I can say I saved money.

There are a lot of people who do that but it's just ridiculous. To buy something just because you have a coupon? Waste of money!

The way I do my couponing is this:

I have all my coupons organized in a binder w/baseball card pages (to keep the coupons in separate categories)

I check them bi-weekly for ones that are or are about to expire

I get the grocery store circular weekly (either in the mail or just pick one up before I go shopping)

I make my grocery list, checking the circular for things I need that are on sale

I cross-compare what's on sale to what I need to what I have a coupon for.

I hit the store (already know the layout) and am in an out in less than an hour (including waiting on line time)

I save a good amount of money each week (typically 40% or more)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 33,397,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I used to clip and use coupons but now I don't bother. Most coupons are for things I don't use so I won't buy just because there's a coupon for it and unfortunately I am a very picky eater. Very.(
I agree; the coupons that they give suck.
I'd love to know where these people get their coupons from. Haven't watched the show; will have to record it on the 15th.

link on TLC (http://press.discovery.com/us/tlc/programs/extreme-couponing/ - broken link)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,248,079 times
Does anyone know if this was a one-time show or if it's a series?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,879,563 times
Evidently the network heard how many people loved this one-time special, so it's going to become a half-hour series of 12 episodes:

'Extreme Couponing' exclusive: TLC special gets series order | Inside TV | EW.com

Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,361,266 times
I think all of the stores the people went to doubled coupons, did they not? I only have 1 grocery store that does that, and they will only let you double the coupon . So, if I wanted to buy 10 items with a 1.00 coupon, they would double that coupon only. Now wonder they are doing so good, if they are able to double every single coupon. Something I didn't understand was this: I thought you had to pay tax on the free items, but they didn't. Another thing, our stores have limits on how many items you can purchase on most things. Apparently the people on the show didn't have that issue, and could buy however many they wanted. And, did the man who bought all those toothbrushes, deodorant, and cereal buy the coupons from a clipping service? If so, he spent more. I don't know how much they
charge for their service, but to get as much as he did free, he must have bought a lot.

Do any of you use a clipper service? If so, can you tell us how much they charge? Then they send them in the mail?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
I've never heard of a "clipper service"! People actually can buy coupons and they do?? Wow.

We used to have a supermarket that doubled coupons but that was long ago.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,627,531 times
I did not see the show, but will make a point to catch it when it airs later. I have attended a couponing seminar at our library. quite interesting. I can't quite go that far with things. i only use coupons for stuff we actually use. I do try to combine the sales and the coupons to get the maximum benefits!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
I used to buy coupons on Ebay. You have to put in the description that you are selling your clipping services, NOT the actual coupons. That's how you get around it.

I should do it again. It helped. I would take the coupons that I didn't use and send them to friends and relatives that did.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
...You'll see wordings like this"

Quote:
100 coupons. These coupons are FREE. What you are bidding on is my time to collect, clip, sort, list and handle these coupons!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,517,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I think all of the stores the people went to doubled coupons, did they not? I only have 1 grocery store that does that, and they will only let you double the coupon . So, if I wanted to buy 10 items with a 1.00 coupon, they would double that coupon only. Now wonder they are doing so good, if they are able to double every single coupon. Something I didn't understand was this: I thought you had to pay tax on the free items, but they didn't. Another thing, our stores have limits on how many items you can purchase on most things. Apparently the people on the show didn't have that issue, and could buy however many they wanted. And, did the man who bought all those toothbrushes, deodorant, and cereal buy the coupons from a clipping service? If so, he spent more. I don't know how much they
charge for their service, but to get as much as he did free, he must have bought a lot.

Do any of you use a clipper service? If so, can you tell us how much they charge? Then they send them in the mail?
I thought the same thing about the coupon service- all the people on the show used some type of service. And I wondered how they claim to be saving....I believe the title of the show fits. Extreme!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV