Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Judge Judy?
Yes 216 55.67%
No 111 28.61%
I think she is mean sometimes but I love the show 61 15.72%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time watching much of Judge Judy in recent years. She seems to have gotten much harsher and quicker to tune out one or the other party in the questioning phase. It seems that she has made up her mind from the briefs before she even questions the people involved.

I would not have a problem with that if she were using the interrogation to illustrate why she had already decided, but often it seems that she is being very arbitrary and not even trying to show why someone is losing the case or why she has decided they are not being truthful.

My favorite judge was Wapner, and then I really liked Judy for a number of years. I did not like Judge Joe for quite a while, but have warmed up to him lately as well as Milan. I thought Texas Justice was interesting, but it did not seem to garner a following. He tried to explain a lot of his reasoning and I really liked that. I appreciate the legal education I can extract when things are explained. I then know what is generally applicable and what is specific to local communities and if something might affect my dealings with people.

It would bite to threaten a landlord with something if they don't fix the a/c only to find out that only works in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
I was surprised to see that Judge Judy was listed in Forbes last top 100. Evidently she has a four year 100 million dollar contract.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Do you guys watch late (LATE) night TV? There's this judge show that comes on called Judge Akim (extreme Akim or something like that). It's like a Jerry Springer meets Judge Judy or something. This guy gives out the weirdest sentences, his justice seems kind of illegal, actually. For example: He once ordered some lady to smash this guy's expensive watch because the guy either lied about something or didn't provide a service for her or something. It's a really dumb show and it can only be appreciated by true insomniacs.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Also, Kato Kalen (from the OJ trials) is the host of the show.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I also like Judge Joe Brown, Judge Alex, and Divorce Court.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Perhaps I could have made my statement clearer.

The losing side does not pay the winner, The Judge Judy show pays the winners of the court cases. The losing party walks away without owing anything.
I believe this is true with all the judge shows. I filed suit against a contractor and The People's Court sent me a letter saying that if both parties agreed to appear, they would pay the judgement.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,599 times
I've just read all the previous posts and I've agreed with most of what was said...but johnrex62 hit the nail on the head. I also feel Judge Judy has gotten harsher and that the show is so predetermined, the show is sounding staged. Additionally, my daughter is a PR person and she staged a PR event last year to benefit poor children in upstate NY ~ Judge Judy was the celebrity ~ she & her husband were there together removed from the rest of everyone, even promoters. Judge Judy was even more attractive than she looks on TV. She was beautifully and tastefully dressed, as was her husband. Truthfully, she gave a 5min harsh speech with a stiff smile, then she sat at a table, signing autographs for anyone who approached her. No smiles or anything. I went up to her with my daughter, she never looked up from signing programs...so I sat next to her, asked her (without her looking at me) if she would just smile for the camera, so my daughter & I could get a pic ~ not sure why I bothered ~ she did as I asked, never said hello or goodbye & went back to looking down...SHE MADE THOUSANDS FOR THAT APPEARANCE. No, she is no longer my favorite.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I have a hard time watching much of Judge Judy in recent years. She seems to have gotten much harsher and quicker to tune out one or the other party in the questioning phase. It seems that she has made up her mind from the briefs before she even questions the people involved.

I would not have a problem with that if she were using the interrogation to illustrate why she had already decided, but often it seems that she is being very arbitrary and not even trying to show why someone is losing the case or why she has decided they are not being truthful.

My favorite judge was Wapner, and then I really liked Judy for a number of years. I did not like Judge Joe for quite a while, but have warmed up to him lately as well as Milan. I thought Texas Justice was interesting, but it did not seem to garner a following. He tried to explain a lot of his reasoning and I really liked that. I appreciate the legal education I can extract when things are explained. I then know what is generally applicable and what is specific to local communities and if something might affect my dealings with people.

It would bite to threaten a landlord with something if they don't fix the a/c only to find out that only works in NY.
You know what I think it is? They edit the case that we see for time. There is a lot of stuff in the answers the litigants provide that i'm sure we don't see and is left on the editing room floor

Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
yes. i like Judge Judy a lot. she is the only "Judge" show i watch, and i watch it religiously - my DVR is programmed to record new episodes. i particularly enjoy her treatment of welfare recipients. i do not always agree with her though. plus sometimes i'll see her rule one way on a case, then on a case that is the same situation, she'll rule the other way. also, i dont think she has an appreciation for certain things - specifically older cars. i get the feeling that she would consider a 1968 Dodge Charger to be just a 40 year old jalopy.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:59 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,594 times
Cool Uhm, is NOT a word!

Wonder what she is discourteous & rude with her little (hawk-beaked hubby) Jerry, when home on the range? Remember he had his own show for awhile, but didn't make the grade
Is she such a "man-basher" at home? I LOVE HER, dont get me wrong; however she can be quite a ball-buster though. And I agree that she does jump to conclusions. Esp. when assuming SHE is the smartest one in the room. Seems like she 'ass-umes' that all litigants are 'dumb-trailer-trash' or uneducated rednecks willing to be embarassed for 15min. of fame, free hotel-trip, night on the town...Oops, duh? I guess she was right on that that one, eh? Glad she teaches the non-communicative idiots "...'Umm' is NOT a word sir!" which she barks out 3-4 times per show or person.

Nonetheless; she is sharp as a tack, quick as a rattlesnake & twice as deadly. I DO LOVE IT WHEN: she critiques a guy for making the decision to wear a wife-beater t-shirt, cowboy hat, or shirt w/marijuana leaf...WHAT was he thinking? She usually asks them "Sir, didn't you know you would be coming to court today? Did you have time to pack proper clothes? then what were you thinking when you choose the JackDaniels & Pot Forever' Tshirt this morning?"
Most of all; she is pompous (fine line between assertive & belligerant) when she excuses her RUDE behavior for "this is MY courtroom". That is no reason for bad manners.
Diplomacy is the cornerstone of intelligence; She can be just plain mean/nasty, trying to get a laugh (notice how she looks around, esp.at the as*kissing bailiff).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV