U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Judge Judy?
Yes 216 55.67%
No 111 28.61%
I think she is mean sometimes but I love the show 61 15.72%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

16,043 posts, read 30,194,668 times

Advertisements

I am fascinated by Judge Judy. She is a very "real" person and very common sense; however, I think she is sometimes mean and jumps to conclusions. One of my favorite sayings I got from her: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining". Nonetheless, I am drawn to her show and can't wait to watch to see how she gets to the bottom of things and am amazed at how she can "read people".

What do you think about her?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,370,106 times
I don't watch, she is too rude for me.

Even so, it works out well for the losing side though. If you read the fine print that rolls during the credits after the show, you'll see the program pays the winner of each case, not the loser.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:11 PM

16,043 posts, read 30,194,668 times
I did not know that they pay both parties!?! I realized that they pay for their trips there but - wow - well that explains a lot.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,802,014 times
I love Judy !!!
Next, would be Marlyn Milaino(sp), Peoples Court
and Judge Mathis.....

Guess I better get a job soon......

Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,598,919 times
I've been watching 'judge shows' since the days of the original people's court (with judge Wapner). Those are the ultimate reality shows. One of my favorite expressions from judge Judy is 'Beauty fades...stupid is forever'!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:38 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,370,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I did not know that they pay both parties!?! I realized that they pay for their trips there but - wow - well that explains a lot.
Perhaps I could have made my statement clearer.

The losing side does not pay the winner, The Judge Judy show pays the winners of the court cases. The losing party walks away without owing anything.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,979,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Perhaps I could have made my statement clearer.

The losing side does not pay the winner, The Judge Judy show pays the winners of the court cases. The losing party walks away without owing anything.
Thanks for that clarification, Hawkeye.
My husband loves Judge Judy so I tend to be a captive audience.
I actually like her pretty much.
Sure she gets a bit harsh here and there but I think she is a good judge of character, and sometimes that kind of quick decisiveness is necessary.
And I guess even though the losing party walks away without losing any $, they do pay out a bit in shame and humiliation.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 AM

27,192 posts, read 27,459,784 times
I love her...she's not always right, but she tells it like it is and is not afraid to make decission, even if they might be unpopular decissions...

That breed is dying out...people like Judge Judy, and it is a shame, people used to be like that...she is not rude....she is telling low life how it is...and she is the reason why, low life uneducated attitudes do not yet prevail.

And I apologize for using the term low life uneducated attitudes, but it's true, and there is no other politically correct term I'd rather use. The people Judge Judy deals with are opportunists who care nothing about the property of others...or their personal space...be it dog owners who let their dogs run all over the place, until they bite someone, or a low life drug addict who doesn't pay his/her bills and gets thrown out of their appartment. There is nothing rude about her being honest and telling these people like it is.

This world needs more leaders like Judge Judy...who hold onto old fashioned morals, respect for the rights of law abiding people and upholding law enforcement...it is the only thing we have which will make us or break us if we keep chipping away at laws to suit our purpose...utter chaos will then prevale.

Judge Judy is an affirmative human being, who is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in, and doesn't give a darn about what others think, or trends, or is her hair perfect or her make up on just right....before she makes a decission.

She goes with her gut instinct of right and wrong with the people first and foremost. She is not a follower, nor does she need society's approval to be happy and content with her life. She does make mistakes...of course, but it doesn't mar her beauty.

She adhears to good ol fashioned morals, and what is fair and right for the people...she to me, would make a fantastic leader who doesn't fear making unpopular decissions or appeasing a certain special interest group. Now that is the kind of character I'd want for a leader...that human beings are so God awful obsessed with having b/c they fear making their own decissions??? Opps, did I say that?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM

15,037 posts, read 24,636,391 times
"Why should he/she be a partner in your misery?!?" that's the best one-liner she uses when someone owes somebody money, and they try to rationalize why they haven't paid it back by using some sob story.

I think she may come off as harsh to some people, but that is a judge's job - everyone can't walk away happy. She is actually a very thoughtful judge and she seems sincere when issues involve children, or children having children. From what I recall, she was a family court judge back east before she got the show. I love her to pieces, and I wish she lived next door because I would love to have someone as common-sense reasonable with that sarcastic twist instead of some of the low lifes I have living around me.

Her facial expressions make her perfect for TV - unfortuantely her husband Gary didn't have that "X" factor, which is how Marilyn Millian got the show. Wopner did it best though - just ask The Rainman.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 AM

27,192 posts, read 27,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"Why should he/she be a partner in your misery?!?" that's the best one-liner she uses when someone owes somebody money, and they try to rationalize why they haven't paid it back by using some sob story.

I think she may come off as harsh to some people, but that is a judge's job - everyone can't walk away happy. She is actually a very thoughtful judge and she seems sincere when issues involve children, or children having children. From what I recall, she was a family court judge back east before she got the show. I love her to pieces, and I wish she lived next door because I would love to have someone as common-sense reasonable with that sarcastic twist instead of some of the low lifes I have living around me.

Her facial expressions make her perfect for TV - unfortuantely her husband Gary didn't have that "X" factor, which is how Marilyn Millian got the show. Wopner did it best though - just ask The Rainman.
LOL, right on

she'd probably be a real riot to know...not only that, but full of information....would love to pick her brain....she strikes me as the type of person whom "you'd know where you stand" not in the least wishy washy, and brutally honest. A real hoot of a person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV